Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I never tried Delight and Consternation, so I can't really comment on anything similar to that, but The Perilous Parlor is a nice lightly foody scent (it's basically vanilla with pear). It's lovely :smile:

thanks, i haven't tried that one, i will have to seek it out! tbh i've avoided pear because a lot of fruity scents go plasticky on me, but i should give it a try and see how it works. :)

On me, Delight and Consternation has a similar vibe to Eisheth Zenunim (Honey, ambergris, neroli, white peach, patchouli, and cocoa absolute) or Tezcatlipoca (Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers).

I think Dorian is the closest I've come across, though you already mention that. Rigorous Love (Coconut, balsam, lemongrass, anise, vanilla orchid, mimosa) is in the same vein as well, but alas, I don't like anise. If you can tolerate it then it's similarly foody but with a nice smooth citrus that keeps it from smelling like dessert.

You actually might like Contemplating the Moon through an Open Window (Milk accord, tuberose, oakmoss, Asian pear, opoponax, and carrot seed) too. It smells like milk tea to me, but with added sweetness from the tuberose and pear. The carrot note is nice and fresh. The Shunga Lupers from that whole series (2013) kind of had a foody but not vibe.

I found Delight and Consternation almost identical to the Seekim which has the same lemon/ cocoa thing going on. For more foody-but-not-quite scents I'd recommend Wulric the Wolfman - cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

On me, Delight and Consternation has a similar vibe to Eisheth Zenunim (Honey, ambergris, neroli, white peach, patchouli, and cocoa absolute) or Tezcatlipoca (Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers).

thanks i will check out eisheth. i think i tried tezcatlipoca a long time ago but can't remember.

I think Dorian is the closest I've come across, though you already mention that. Rigorous Love (Coconut, balsam, lemongrass, anise, vanilla orchid, mimosa) is in the same vein as well, but alas, I don't like anise. If you can tolerate it then it's similarly foody but with a nice smooth citrus that keeps it from smelling like dessert.

You actually might like Contemplating the Moon through an Open Window (Milk accord, tuberose, oakmoss, Asian pear, opoponax, and carrot seed) too. It smells like milk tea to me, but with added sweetness from the tuberose and pear. The carrot note is nice and fresh. The Shunga Lupers from that whole series (2013) kind of had a foody but not vibe.

unfortunately rigorous love wasn't for me, but i have some contemplating the moon on its way to me right now, and i'm excited to try it! :)

I found Delight and Consternation almost identical to the Seekim which has the same lemon/ cocoa thing going on. For more foody-but-not-quite scents I'd recommend Wulric the Wolfman - cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus.

thank you, i will look up seekim. i tried wulric years ago and i did like it, i should track some more down and re-try. thanks everyone for suggestions!!
Edited by theseagrows

Does anyone have a recommendation for Schlaflos! Frage und Antwort (Black pine pitch, oakmoss, Spanish moss, myrrh, and violet leaf.).

Silly me got a decant but didn't think to get a bottle and this one hits the very sexy scent pile after it aged for a little bit (moss toned down and the myrrh and violet leaf came out to play a lot). Suggestions?

I am in love with BPAL's plum note. :wub2: Many of my fellow BPAL addicts suggested that I try to find a decant/imp of Queen of Spades. This seems to be almost impossible. I have also been told that Blood Countess is very similar to Queen of Spades... unfortunately Blood Countess is discontinued.

Please tell me there is hope and that there is a current GC that is similar to Queen of Spades.

I don't know about Queen of Spades, but I love Plum too and Oya is a wonderful plum...also, Bordello. I'm sure you've tried those, but they are two of my favorites and I figured I would try to help. :)

I am in love with BPAL's plum note. :wub2: Many of my fellow BPAL addicts suggested that I try to find a decant/imp of Queen of Spades. This seems to be almost impossible. I have also been told that Blood Countess is very similar to Queen of Spades... unfortunately Blood Countess is discontinued.

Please tell me there is hope and that there is a current GC that is similar to Queen of Spades.

try Countess Willie or The Witch Queen. they're both unimpable, so you would have to buy blind bottles or find a decanter, but if either of them works for you they're both permanent installments.

I received this LE scent as an imp freebie in a larger order. I have basically fallen in love with it. I think it came out around 2007/2008-- I know there is no way to get another imp of this (and if I did, that would run out too). It is a wonderfully light, balanced floral/fruity scent that reminds me of fresh melon, although that is not in the list of notes.

Based on the notes, I would love a recommendation for something similar. It does not have to be BPAL. Thank you! :)

The description is:

A scent of hedonistic, uninhibited joy: bamboo reed, plum blossom, persimmon, magnolia, black pine, sweet osmanthus, flowering cherry, mandarin orange, wisteria, and yuzu.

Is there anything similar to Bakunawa? I was pleasantly surprised by how well the orchid note balanced out the musk and moss and smokiness, and I can see myself using up the imp I have rather quickly...

Are there any GCs like Geek? My Geek bottle is getting very low (just a few applications left) and finding a bottle is basically impossible these days.

Talk about some post necromancy :lol: but I am down to about 1ml of Geek left and bottles are basically unavailable even on eBay now. (Hint Lab for a resurrection. Guaranteed seller!)

Earlier in this thread I saw that some consider Nemesis to be an equivalent for Geek. Anyone else have this experience? Any other recommendations?

Edited by Jenesis

While not truly similar, I find that Snow White shares some vibes with Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. But without the coconutty feel of Snow White, though. It's still a light, pretty, slightly floral vanilla, though.

Likewise with Alice...

Edited by Aviatrix

So I'm not sure if this is the right home for this, or not. But I'm looking for GC scents in the same vein as Ava. I'm having a lot of trouble with some of the GC's as they all have a very similar headshop-esq tone on me. Whip, Juliette and Imperious Tiger-Lily so far are lovely, but they don't have quite the same level of awesomeness I'm looking for. Any ideas, maybe? :(

Lovers and/or coveteers of Bakeneko, you must try Ginny. That spicy peppery quality is so similar but then gets all round and sexy from the other notes.

Thank you!! Will have to add Ginny to my wish list, thanks!

So I'm not sure if this is the right home for this, or not. But I'm looking for GC scents in the same vein as Ava. I'm having a lot of trouble with some of the GC's as they all have a very similar headshop-esq tone on me. Whip, Juliette and Imperious Tiger-Lily so far are lovely, but they don't have quite the same level of awesomeness I'm looking for. Any ideas, maybe? :(

This is another LE, which kind of defeats the purpose of this thread, BUT it wasn't a number-limited run like Ava so you can find it floating around at times: Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending. Similar heady, feminine and flirty mix.

Looking at the GC - have you given Dorian a shot? Someone in the Ava thread said they were like two sides of the same coin, where Ava is warmer and hazier and Dorian is more cool. But I can smell the resemblence: both give a sense of vanilla musk with some dainty florals and citrus.

This is another LE, which kind of defeats the purpose of this thread, BUT it wasn't a number-limited run like Ava so you can find it floating around at times: Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending. Similar heady, feminine and flirty mix.

Looking at the GC - have you given Dorian a shot? Someone in the Ava thread said they were like two sides of the same coin, where Ava is warmer and hazier and Dorian is more cool. But I can smell the resemblence: both give a sense of vanilla musk with some dainty florals and citrus.

I haven't given Dorian a try yet, but it's been on the list! I'll order an imp on my next order, for sure (and keep an eye out for that LE!) Thanks for the sugestions!

OK folks. This came out when I was starting my relationship with Bpal. I had no idea it would be my Fall and Winter scent. I had bought an extra a couple years ago but it met with a tragic end. Here's the description:

Smoldering brimstone, bitter labdanum, clove, black musk, and copper-colored feathers.

It wears on me as clove, brimstone and musk with a sharp tang. Any suggestions? Just for kicks, any ideas of what it could be layered with to soften it up a bit?

Please help!