Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Okay... So I'm addicted to Banshee Beat, along with hundreds of others, no doubt.

Not wanting to sift and sort through 70 pages, what are some good substitutions or blends to replace it? Short of writing up a petition to bring the damn siren that is Banshee Beat back, I have to make due with my imp or hope I can find a bottle that isn't exorbitantly priced.

I hear that Goblin is a good substitute; however, are there any blends that don't have coconut in them? I tend to amp coconut to high heaven, and it either turns into a dry, husky coconut (think Brown Jenkin-like) or suntan lotion (ewwwwww).

Okay... So I'm addicted to Banshee Beat, along with hundreds of others, no doubt.

Not wanting to sift and sort through 70 pages, what are some good substitutions or blends to replace it? Short of writing up a petition to bring the damn siren that is Banshee Beat back, I have to make due with my imp or hope I can find a bottle that isn't exorbitantly priced.

I hear that Goblin is a good substitute; however, are there any blends that don't have coconut in them? I tend to amp coconut to high heaven, and it either turns into a dry, husky coconut (think Brown Jenkin-like) or suntan lotion (ewwwwww).

I find Tombstone to be similar to Banshee Beat, but I may be the only one! :wacko:

Hahaha I have Tombstone... For me, I amp the pines in it too much and then it suddenly turns to rootbeer :lol:

Hrm. Have you tried Velvet (Sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh) from the GC? It's not quite the same scent profile, but it is a woodsy sweetness similar to Banshee Beat.

I have not, but those notes sound pretty amazing! =D I amp all those notes actually... I wonder how it would smell?

I wonder if there's anything with patchouli I could layer it with... >.>

Not sure if this is the right thread for this...

If anyone is trying out the current set of lupers, I'd love to know how "Dark chocolate with merlot infused black cherries & star anise" compares with "Vice" or "La Vita Nuova" compares with "Delirium". From the notes listed, each pair sounds pretty similar...

Can't help you on the chocolates, but I had a decant of the first incarnation of La Vita Nuova, and it and Delirium didn't smell similar on me. I actually prefer Delirium, but it seems like much more of a distinct-notes-you-can-smell-simultaneously where La Vita was more of a smoothly blended perfume smell. That may just be a skin chemistry thing too.

Does anyone have any smell-alikes to suggest for Ninon? (Other than SL Chergui, which is even more expensive and hard to obtain)

Inez was in the same scent family for me...unfortunately my skin chemistry changed and now I can't wear either. :rasp:

I have not, but those notes sound pretty amazing! =D I amp all those notes actually... I wonder how it would smell?

I wonder if there's anything with patchouli I could layer it with... >.>

The closest I've come to Banshee Beat is Tezcatlipoca (Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers) layered with the Tonka SN.

If you can wear other vanillas, it would probably work with something other than the SN -- I just have trouble with almost every other BPAL vanilla *except* in Banshee Beat.

Apparently vanilla, sandalwood, and most patchoulis are golden-notes on me; they can do no wrong! :lol: And tonka works pretty well too, admittedly.

I'll have to try that out, maybe if I'm lucky someone will send me an imp! =) Although, I am a touch worried; most chocolate notes amp to the point they overwhelm honey, ginger, sandalwood AND vanilla---which I thought was impossible, because those and amber/resins tend to overwhelm anything else in every blend I've tried. x_x I did just try Midnight Gypsy's Murder of Crows which has a dark chocolate basenote, and coconut apparently is the one note that can conquer it. Actually turned out pretty nice, to be honest. They say there's always a blend out there that'll turn one of your hated notes into one of your favorites... Scales of Deprivation revived lavender blends for me, and the lemon in it worked well too! So I suppose I can't knock it until I try it! =D

Which I definitely will, if it means I can start wearing chocolate AND smelling like Banshee! :yum:

Hrm. Have you tried Velvet (Sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh) from the GC? It's not quite the same scent profile, but it is a woodsy sweetness similar to Banshee Beat.

Yep - definitely worth a try.. and I would recommend getting yourself a bottle of #Occupy Wall Street (if you don't already have it!) and using that as your +patchouli elixir.

Personally, to find a Banshee Beat dupe, I would start by trying to find the right patchouli first because that's what gives BB its depth. Then try finding the right vanilla to go with it... you need that black vanilla - the rich, syrupy vanilla rather than the candy-sweet one - and then something for the hemp if that's even possible.

And once you've got #OWS, go back to Velvet and slap some #OWS over the top. Go back to Goblin and slap some #OWS over the top. Grab some Tombstone and slap some #OWS over the top. Grab some Morrocco and slap some #OWS over the the top... you get the idea :D

You might also want to go searching for two prototypes - UOH34 and UOH2 - although there is no official confirmation from the Lab on this, many people have speculated that the "UO" part in these stands for "Urban Outfitters" and that UOH34 and UOH2 are Banshee Beat prototypes. For me, neither is a 'dupe' but I can defintely see the connection to Banshee Beat... and even if the whole speculation about them being BB prototypes isn't true, they are both very BB-like. There's some reviews posted of them both (UOH34 here, and UOH2 here), if you want to investigate further, and you should be able to find at least a decant of them here on the forum somewhere :smile:

Sunshine.... I love you. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

That's the *perfect* plan of attack. I think the vanilla in Banshee Beat is similar to the ones in Snake Oil and Voodoo... I could be wrong, though. I also saw Rogue has hemp in it! One of the few that does, truthfully, without getting too complex...

So the real question is, is can I find a patchouli that doesn't necessarily have a chocolate note to it... :lol:

Sunshine.... I love you. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Awww... right backatcha! Gotta try and help out a fellow Banshee Beat appreciator :D

Yeah.. #OWS does have cocoa in it, but I think it has the right kind of vanilla, and really - on me at least - it was like 95% patchouli so that's why I suggested using it as your base. Another one to look at would be Heretic - that doesn't actually have patchouli in it, but it's very hippie-esque and overall definitely has a patchouli-like flavour (to me, anyway!). And I think you might be right about the vanilla in SO being similar to the vanilla in BB - it has that same tyrupy richness to it.

I'm sure eventually you'll find something you love - but in the meantime, keep a lookout for those two prototypes :thumbsup:

I definitely will.

I just sniffed my bottle of Voodoo, my imp of Snake Oil, and my other imp of Banshee; I'm about 75% positive the vanillas are the same, or very similar at least, and that the patchoulis in Voodoo and Banshee are in the same boat. It makes me wonder if I can get away with layering Rogue for the hemp with Voodoo without it going into a stinky, oily mess....

You bet your butt I'm going to try! :lol: Short of Beth putting out Hemp and Patchouli single-notes... Fat chance, but I know if I'm patient it may be possible. =) Besides, in the meantime it gives me a chance to hunt down an imp of #occupy. I'm not usually a fan of chocolate scents but reading the notes made me drool, so I'm hopeful :P

To me Dark Chocolate is nothing like Vice, I always saw the chocolate in Vice as milk not dark and there is not the cherry/fruit/wine note. That said the Anise in DC with Merlot etc is quite prominent, so if you don't like Anise you won't love it, me thinks.

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure (black patchouli, honey, and thick vanilla amber) from the Our Lady of Pain update might be worth trying. Even if it turns out not to have the same feel, if you like patchouli and vanilla you may very well like it on its own merits.

I agree that feed me and fill me with pleasure is awesome, and if you like patchouli, you should probably try it. I love mine, it's very cosy.

I recently ordered a bottle of crow moon 2013, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it! :wub2:

Can anyone recommend something for me that is similar to this in the GC?

thank you :)

To me Dark Chocolate is nothing like Vice, I always saw the chocolate in Vice as milk not dark and there is not the cherry/fruit/wine note. That said the Anise in DC with Merlot etc is quite prominent, so if you don't like Anise you won't love it, me thinks.

I have to agree. Dark Chocolate Merlot Star Anise [i know, redacting the title] was actually pretty awesome, but you have to like star anise, which to me smells like a combination of cardamom and anise.

I'm trying to find something similar to Ostara. Light, fruity florals are pretty much the only thing that I want to wear right at the moment (springtime in TX is short, and I'm trying to live it up as much as possible). I've tried Titania, and the mood is the same (so to speak), but it's a lot fruitier than Ostara, plus I amp the peach ridiculously. I can't do heavy florals. I have and love 51 and Amsterdam, to give you an idea of some other light scents that I have in rotation at the moment.

Help? Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to find something similar to Ostara. Light, fruity florals are pretty much the only thing that I want to wear right at the moment.

<snip>

I don't think I've tried Ostara (light, fruity florals are really not my thing) but some GCs that come to mind are:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat - A sparkly, batty little scent: green tea, melon, mint, lime rind, and champagne grape with lemon balm, mullein, and toadflax.

I find this one more fruity than floral - the melon and lime are the standouts - but there is a soft floral tone behind the fruits. It's really zingy and refreshing and... nice :)

High-Strung Daisies - Daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper and sugar

This isn't as sweet and/or pink as it sounds - on me it's a really pretty soft floral with a nice fresh feel

Kitsune-Tsuki - Asian plum, orchid, daffodil, jasmine and white musk.

This one's light and breezy but the plum gives it a hearty fruitilicious base.

Zephyr - Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

The lemon here was way too much for me, but if your skin handles lemon OK then this would be worthy a try.

Embalming Fluid - A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

On me this one is pretty true to the noets - clean, fresh, just a hint of soft citrus.

And although it's an LE... Flower Moon is pretty much spring in a bottle - a bouquet of vivid, sexy blooms, coated in thick, golden honey... wisteria, swamp jasmine, honeysuckle, daffodil, rhododendron, phlox, and a mix of California wildflowers - the florals here are sweet and almost fruity-like. I'm not sure how hard-to-find it would be, though.

Good luck finding the one! And enjoy your spring time :smile:

So uh, ive searched this thread before and done my own research, but figured I'd just ask out right. My bottle of the Yuletide 06 LE stardust is getting kinda low. Is there anything that remotely resembles it? Here's a bit of the description;

"This scent reflects the futurism, self-indulgence and excess of the Glitter 70's: champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy."

I really want something that just screams that 70's glam rock vibe, debauched club scene. Thats my favorite thing about this scent, it smells of hairspray, alcohol, flowers and clove cigarettes. Please help? Bon Viviant is about as close as ive found, but not quite.

Thanks

Reviving this thread to ask...

Recently, I've found that I'm somewhat of a vetiver-lover -- I especially like it when it's blended into something sweet to kinda balance it out. Two of my most recent loves are Death Adder and The Great He-Goat, and I won't be able to stock up on one until CD comes back and the other is Salon and seems hard to find. :blush: Does anyone have any recs for something similar in the GC catalog? Here are the notes for reference:

Death Adder: Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax.

The Great He-Goat: Haitian vetiver, Egyptian amber, carnation, black musk, pomegranate, patchouli, and smoked ginger.

GC blends with vetiver that I've tried include: Saturnalia, Brimstone, Voodoo, Nephilim, The Caterpillar, Spider, and Anathema.

Reviving this thread to ask...

Recently, I've found that I'm somewhat of a vetiver-lover -- I especially like it when it's blended into something sweet to kinda balance it out. Two of my most recent loves are Death Adder and The Great He-Goat, and I won't be able to stock up on one until CD comes back and the other is Salon and seems hard to find. :blush: Does anyone have any recs for something similar in the GC catalog? Here are the notes for reference:

Death Adder: Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax.

The Great He-Goat: Haitian vetiver, Egyptian amber, carnation, black musk, pomegranate, patchouli, and smoked ginger.

GC blends with vetiver that I've tried include: Saturnalia, Brimstone, Voodoo, Nephilim, The Caterpillar, Spider, and Anathema.

I'd give Serpent's Kiss (Seething with passion, yet utterly cold-blooded. Dragon's blood, vetivert and spice), and Blood Kiss (Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk) a go. They are both rich, sweet versions of vetiver.

Incantation is an incredibly vetivery blend. Layering it with SO, perhaps even with a touch of Goblin for the coconut, could work really well. :D

I've never smelled The Great He-Goat, so I can't really give you an opinion on that one. :3 <3

All these suggestions sound great, thank you! :D I had Serpent's Kiss and Goblin in mind -- the honey in the description of Blood Kiss put me off, but since there's so many other notes in that blend, I'll track down an imp anyway. And layering something vetiver-heavy with Snake Oil is giving me a total "duhh" moment, haha. I'll definitely have to try that. Thank you! <3

*BLOODLUST

Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

*CZERNOBOG

A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

*LUCIFER

Lucifer, Franz von Stuck

Indonesian red patchouli, amber, oak wood, pimento berry, fig leaf, and vetiver.

(Retail only salon, still available at Healthy Living in Vermont 802.863.2569, ask to speak to Courtney)

*TOMBEUR

Vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil.

...Those are my personal favorites (I also have & love Death Adder & The Great He-Goat), but here are a few more...

A COUNTENANCE FORBODING EVIL

Patchouli, ylang ylang, blood orange, and vetiver.

ALECTO

Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood.

AZATHOTH

Tangerine, saffron, vetiver, black amber and cedarwood.

BLACK ANNIS

Damp cave lichen and oak leaf with a hint of vetiver, civet and anise.

BLUEBEARD

Violet, lavender, white musk and vetiver.

DEATH ON A PALE HORSE

White musk and mint seeped with solemn lavender, doleful patchouli and vetiver, scythe-sharp yuzu and lime, with geranium bourbon, white sandalwood and calla lily.

FALLEN

White sandalwood and golden musk with a dark halo of amber, a breath of imperial florals, unbending woods, and the shadow cast by vetiver and violet.

HIGHWAYMAN

Vetiver with gardenia, blood red rose, night-blooming jasmine, a dash of cinnamon and a faint hint of leather.

IAGO

Black musk, wet leather and vetiver.

LAMIA

Pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude.

LOVE’S TORMENTS

White sandalwood, neroli, and vetiver.

MALEDICTION

Red patchouli and vetivert.

MARQUISE de MERTEUIL

Galbanum and amber, glistening peach, and a bouquet of French florals, with a merciless undertone of jonquil and heartless vetiver.

ORC

Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver.

PRURIENCE

Red amber and scorched musk with voluptuous carnation, charred vetiver, sensuous tonka, and orris.

SANTA MUERTE

Lovers’ roses, solemn chrysanthemum, dark vetiver and dazzling cactus flowers.

THE SCALES OF DEPRIVATION

Lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum.

SLOTH

Thick, dark, sluggish and heavy with indolence: vetiver over black myrrh.

UMBRA

East African black patchouli, cedarwood, vetiver and a dribble of cinnamon.

YÜREI

White tea, hibiscus, Arabian sandalwood, white amber, ho leaf, pale Japanese flowers, and vetiver.

Edited by arsinoe9