Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

A little different than GV but from the same scent family: Blossoms in Springtime.

I agree with this. :) It was definitely from the same scent family for me.

A question: Any recommendations for a BPAL scent that smells similar to Snow Glass Apples?

Background story:Bought an imp of Snow Glass Apples for a friend who was keen on trying BPAL perfumes,and now she's head over heels over it.Finding a bottle of Snow Glass Apples is difficult due to the super limited availability of the bottle-so any suggestions would be much appreciated.=)

You might try mixing a snow scent like Kumari Kandam with an apple scent like one of the Apples from last year's Weenies... Glittering Apple of the Stars would be my recommendation, but it does have a sweeter and somewhat more flowery scent than SGA.

Glittering Apple of the Stars is definitely more flowery/fruitier than SGA, and less cool/wintry, but if you layer something light and cool/snowy you might get something you like :)

A little different than GV but from the same scent family: Blossoms in Springtime.

I agree with this. :) It was definitely from the same scent family for me.

A question: Any recommendations for a BPAL scent that smells similar to Snow Glass Apples?

Background story:Bought an imp of Snow Glass Apples for a friend who was keen on trying BPAL perfumes,and now she's head over heels over it.Finding a bottle of Snow Glass Apples is difficult due to the super limited availability of the bottle-so any suggestions would be much appreciated.=)

You might try mixing a snow scent like Kumari Kandam with an apple scent like one of the Apples from last year's Weenies... Glittering Apple of the Stars would be my recommendation, but it does have a sweeter and somewhat more flowery scent than SGA.

Glittering Apple of the Stars is definitely more flowery/fruitier than SGA, and less cool/wintry, but if you layer something light and cool/snowy you might get something you like :)

Thanks for the suggestions!I will try to look for the scents.

I did a search, but came up empty. So I apologize if someone has asked this before and I couldn't find it.

Saint-Germain (St Germain) - I am dying for more or a recipe that is similar. Can anyone help?

I never would have thought this one would be so difficult to find!

Sorry I don't have any recommendations for the previous posters... I'm fairly new but I love reading this thread. I myself am looking for something similar to Sugar Cookie... I have imps of Eat Me and Drink Me and I don't think they smell anything like Sugar Cookie.

Edited by Foodie

Saint-Germain (St Germain) - I am dying for more or a recipe that is similar. Can anyone help?

I never would have thought this one would be so difficult to find!

I have no clues about a smell-alike for that one, but just saw an imp up for grabs on a swaps post here :thumbsup:

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Anyone who likes Snake Charmer really ought to buy a bottle of Die Sundë, Vom Tod Verfolgt -- and be quick about it, since the Pickman Gallery is only live for one more day! I tested them side by side -- they are very much alike.

Just thought I would post here, because I recently acquired a bottle of London and, on me, it smells identical to Peacock Queen! So if you're looking for something similar to PQ, check out London, it's just gorgeous! :wub2:

Anyone who likes Snake Charmer really ought to buy a bottle of Die Sundë, Vom Tod Verfolgt -- and be quick about it, since the Pickman Gallery is only live for one more day! I tested them side by side -- they are very much alike.

I want your chemistry. They are nothing alike on me :cry2:

PS I had both b4 you posted so delay is not due to ordering on your rec and being disappointed. I luvs them both :wub2:

Very long shot, but does anybody know of a GC smell-alike to Beatrice? My bottle of Beatrice met its tragic end today when I accidentally emptied it all over my sweater. :( Beatrice has been my signature scent and I've been carefully hoarding it for years, but it looks like time for me to move on...

Not sure if this is the right thread for this...

If anyone is trying out the current set of lupers, I'd love to know how "Dark chocolate with merlot infused black cherries & star anise" compares with "Vice" or "La Vita Nuova" compares with "Delirium". From the notes listed, each pair sounds pretty similar...

blossoms in springtime is very much like light of mens lives to me- BIS is sweeter where LML is smokier, but very very close.

jezebel is almost spot-on klara and/or alice, but a little more floral instead of powdery. i think i actually prefer jezebel :wub2:

eta: tombstone is very much like badgers, somehow. i far and away prefer badgers, but they both have that dusty hayish sweetness. maybe tombstone layered with something sweet patchouli would come close.

Edited by bonny

If anyone is in love with Bakeneko and can't find it anywhere you should try looking for Pet Magah Bird. The two are nearly identical on me.

Edited by Katlyntje

Does anyone have any smell-alikes to suggest for Ninon? (Other than SL Chergui, which is even more expensive and hard to obtain)

I tried searching but the only Internet I have is my phone so I may have missed it somewhere.

I desperately need something similar to Elf v 4! Since there are no notes listed and I know nothing about scents, I cannot find a dupe.

Banshee Beat reminds me of an earthy version of it (and I have already acquired a back up bottle of it!) and Love's Philosophy reminds me of Elfv4's spicy, louder sister. Any other suggestions? Elf v 4 on me is warm, musky vanilla that has amazing staying power and seems so comforting and complex and snuggly. It's truly becoming my number one scent, but all I have is a sniffie and an imps worth in bottle :(

I tried searching but the only Internet I have is my phone so I may have missed it somewhere.

I desperately need something similar to Elf v 4! Since there are no notes listed and I know nothing about scents, I cannot find a dupe.

Banshee Beat reminds me of an earthy version of it (and I have already acquired a back up bottle of it!) and Love's Philosophy reminds me of Elfv4's spicy, louder sister. Any other suggestions? Elf v 4 on me is warm, musky vanilla that has amazing staying power and seems so comforting and complex and snuggly. It's truly becoming my number one scent, but all I have is a sniffie and an imps worth in bottle :(

Ahh... Elf v4 hates me - it's the kind of vanilla that turns into a horrible sharp plastic/chemical nastiness on my skin. I remember when I got my bottle, and I'd read reviews where people were saying similar things to you - warm, musky, snuggly - so imagine my disappointment when I tried it! :(

Anyway - enough about me :D

So there's some others in the BPAL vanilla range that have done the same thing on me, and therefore might be worth trying as dupes for you, for Elf v4 - using the logic that if Elf v4 was horrible on me but good on you, then the other vanillas that were horrible on me should be good on you! (this may be a special form of blonde logic ;))

Celeste - an LE from the Trading Post - notes are: Madagascan vanilla bean, vanilla orchid, orris root, and saffron. I find Celeste to be.. prettier in a more feminine way than Elf v4 - kind of like it's 'soft pink' rather than white. This has the saffron that you mentioned in Love's Philosophy (but I don't find Celeste spicy at all), and there's also a soft/slightly sweet waxy floral feel. The vanilla though.. pretty sure it's the same as Elf v4.

Phyllocrania Paradoxa v1 - a prototype - no notes, but some reiews mention a similarity to the vanilla in Elf v4 and a musky vibe.

Anti-Saloon League - Notes are: sarsaparilla and cream. The sarsarilla here gives ASL a fuzzy feel, but the vanilla is creamy.

None of those are going to be easy to find.. sorry!! But perhaps you could track down a tester just so you can test them out before hunting for a bottle :smile:

And I realise that this thread is supposed to be about finding GC equivalents, but I just can't think of a straight-up vanilla in the GC that's anything like Elf v4. Morocco would be one suggestion.. but you've probably already tried that one.

Have you tried Lady Death: Savage? I just got a bottle. It's a bit more rich/deep than Elf v4, and not as straight-up vanilla, but it's in the same family.

Another suggestion would be Lyonesse, but I'm guessing you've probably tried that.

Thanks all! I will look into them. I do like morocco but the bf doesn't like it...but I will try my imp again tonight. I have a tester of Anti Saloon League and its nice but very medicinal on me, more cream than Stimulating Sassafras but not by much. Have not tried lyonesse. I have to double check the notes as I cannot do honey or beeswax (vegan) so there are some top gc's I haven't tried because of that reason.

I definitely want to hunt down some Celeste!! I love saffron. And will look into lady death: savage. Thanks all :)

Hello, forum-ites -

I am one of those very rare posters who mostly lurks. I'm hoping you all can help me find a replacement for my beloved Loviatar. It's not a LE, but since it has been discontinued, I thought that this might be a good location to ask for help finding a GC version.

This is one of my favorite BPAL oils. I love it for the dark, leathery scent, but I also wear it for LARPing for a character who is a worshiper of Loviatar. Needless to say, I'm very sad as my last lone bottle is running out.

Can you all help a girl out?

Can you all help a girl out?

I can only recommend things based on how it seems Loviatar smells (never tried it since it's become one of those holy grail, impossible to find scents now!) but I'm a big leather fan, so here we go...

Black Rider (Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.)

This is a nice, sweetly smoky oil. To me it's like incense and leather, which seems like it might be close to Loviatar since it has myrrh/amber/leather.

Kroenen (Shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh.)

I always recommend this guy when people are looking for sexy leather scents. Underappreciated, I think... don't let the metal worry you, it's a strong scent but also incense-y and intriguing.

Iago (Malevolent, dark and shadowy: sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver.)

A lot of people call this the male version of Loviatar. I like vetiver but I know some people are strongly opposed to it. Has an earthy, smoky backdrop with musk.

I can also recommend Fighter (Leather, musk, blood, and steel) if you're looking for an almost pure, single note leather. It's a bit ozone-y but I got none of the blood, thankfully. Since it already has leather/musk, maybe you could layer it with something that has amber/myrrh and get close. Captain Cully (A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter) also came across as fairly single note, but with a boozy touch.

Good luck!

Edited by Balame

I can only recommend things based on how it seems Loviatar smells (never tried it since it's become one of those holy grail, impossible to find scents now!) but I'm a big leather fan, so here we go...

Black Rider (Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.)

This is a nice, sweetly smoky oil. To me it's like incense and leather, which seems like it might be close to Loviatar since it has myrrh/amber/leather.

Kroenen (Shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh.)

I always recommend this guy when people are looking for sexy leather scents. Underappreciated, I think... don't let the metal worry you, it's a strong scent but also incense-y and intriguing.

Iago (Malevolent, dark and shadowy: sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver.)

A lot of people call this the male version of Loviatar. I like vetiver but I know some people are strongly opposed to it. Has an earthy, smoky backdrop with musk.

I can also recommend Fighter (Leather, musk, blood, and steel) if you're looking for an almost pure, single note leather. It's a bit ozone-y but I got none of the blood, thankfully. Since it already has leather/musk, maybe you could layer it with something that has amber/myrrh and get close. Captain Cully (A cocky light musk with leather, tonka, a dusting of dry woods, and a splash of porter) also came across as fairly single note, but with a boozy touch.

Good luck!

I never considered mixing scents (i.e. Fighter and Captain Cully). I'll give that a try. Thanks! And, of course, I'm still up for other suggestions if they are out there.

Because my word I love Fetish.Goth. it is hoard worthy for me. And some people have fallen in love with it on me.

But I'm not willing to surrender and share the bit I've got. And it isn't necessarily the easiest oil to find.

So I figured I could make some suggestions of GCs with notes in common. (or currently available LEs) but I'm drawing a blank.

Any recommendations?

The Black Rider or Dance of Death remind me the most of Fetish.Goth. Just based on searching for leather and myrrh I got Kroenen, but I have not tried it to be able to say one way or another. Malice might possibly be one to check out too. Good luck, I love this one too!

I'd second The Black Rider. I like Kroenen a lot but based on Fetish.Goth reviews (I haven't tried it personally) it doesn't sound like a match. Fetish.Gosh seems resinous/spicy where Kroenen is incense-y but not very sweet. It also has an earthy aspect because of vetiver.

Perhaps you should try Rogue as well? I haven't tested it yet but it seems like woodsy leather, which might channel the patchouli from Fet Goth. You could always layer it with something spicier.

Edited by Balame

depending on skin chemistry, I'd try "I married a vampire from planet x" it was a less dark, touch sweeter fetish got on me. I actually like it more