Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what (regular catalog scent) smells like Hunter Moon?  I see someone mentioned Lampades before, and I am about to eagerly order it in hopes that it will come out very close on me.  But, I was wondering if anyone else had more suggestions?  I just got an imp of it yesterday and I am horribly, horribly upset that I won't have a chance to get more of this, because it is probably my most favorite scent at this point.

Depending on how your body chemistry reacts to berries, I would suggest Lady Macbeth. Unfortunately, my chemistry amps up the sweetness of the berries to an intolerable level. Hunter Moon is what I had hoped Lady Macbeth would be.

Tarot: The Star is VERY close to Spooky. Both sweet peppermint, although Spooky is more chocolate and Tarot: the Star is more cherry.

Queen of Spades (one of my top five favorite scents) is VERY close to Bewitched. Both have a lovely blackberry note, although QoS is more "woody".

King of Spades is slightly similar to Lampades...both have a tart, musky, berry scent. But they're not spot on replacements.

Gluttony doesn't smell anything at all like Sugar Skull or Sugar Cookie. Gluttony is very buttery ad nutty.

Samhain doesn't smell like Jack. Samhain is much more cidery and Jack is more pumpkiny. Although both are fantastic!

King of Diamonds reminds me of a masculine version of Snow White - creamy citrus!

Tarot: The Star is VERY close to Spooky.  Both sweet peppermint, although Spooky is more chocolate and Tarot: the Star is more cherry.

I agree with that. Spooky smelled like a softer, creamier, less tart version of The Star when I initially tested it on the top of my hand. I wish it had smelled like that everywhere else on me, though. I envy those it does. :P

Edited by riddel

I haven't tried Blood Countess yet, which I hear is close to Queen of Spades (i've got it on order, though).. but I just got The Hanging Gardens, and boy..... the drydown especially smells just like QoS on me... I still find it similar in the wet phase, but not as close a match..

:P

Hmm...

Endymion reminds me of Rose Red. Put into context, my skin amps up rose so Endymion is rose with some lush green things in the background.

Hmm...

Endymion reminds me of Rose Red. Put into context, my skin amps up rose so Endymion is rose with some lush green things in the background.

That's what Eternal ended up doing on my skin - it became entirely rose with the smell of fresh cut grass. So it was very much that rose with fresh green-ness in the background :P

Any other scents similar to Gingerbread Poppet? I have to say, most of what I got out of Sudha Seagara was curdled milk, not warm, deep, spicy, sweet baking gingerbread. In addition, GP brings to mind a deep scarlet or forest green colour, while Sudha made me think of a so pale it's almost white yellow. Siren doesn't really work on me either. :P

I *love* GP, in case you couldn't tell, and I'm fervently praying Beth re-releases it this Christmas, but until then...

Edited by tarantulove

I really can't tell the difference between Chaste Moon and Leanan Sidhe on me - didn't get any similarity with Dana O'Shee myself.

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what (regular catalog scent) smells like Hunter Moon?  I see someone mentioned Lampades before...

The Lampades comparison was probably me. :D Hunter Moon is my absolute favorite BPAL so anything that comes anywhere near it is a must-own for me. Unfortunately, I think there's something in Lampades that tweaks my allergies in a bad way, so I can't wear it regularly in the same way as I can HM.

The only other thing that's reminded me of it as of late is one drydown phase of Baba Yaga (which is unreleased as of this date. I just happened to catch an imp of it from the ultra generous Lab with my last order). It doesn't really stay there, though, as it continues to morph so it wouldn't be an exact replacement by any stretch. As I wrote in my review of B.Y.: "The faint woodsy incense is there along the sweet, wine-like fruit that keeps it from being too dark. It's like a lighter, less smoke-intense version [of Hunter Moon]. LOVE!" But after about an hour, that phase was gone. :P (though I still can't wait to order a full bottle of Baba Yaga because I love it in and of itself)

I've had Arachne suggested recently as a potential HM-alike, so that's one I'm keen to try. I believe I also read on the Forums that Ra evoked a few elements of Hunter Moon on certain individuals' skins.

I've tested many of the blends containing wine notes, so far with mixed results (though I enjoy almost all of them in and of themself. But insofar of having them compare directly to HM, I'm still at a loss). My skin pretty much ate Madrid and left behind nothing by a Play-Dough/grey ABC gum type smell. Lady Macbeth is nice, but much sweeter than HM. Ditto with Bordello. And Blood Rose is more floral on my skin, instead of fruit or wine-like. Blood Kiss is more smoke-y (and thus much closer than the rest) but so heavy on the clove that I miss out on the red wine element almost entirely. Still, you might at least want to give them a try since everyone's chemistry is different.

Eventually, I'm going to attempt to layer a few of them with something like Three Witches (once the new formulation is out) or Wrath to see if I can get closer to the incense/spice blended with the deep sweetness that Hunter Moon provides. Though, obviously, they'll all be pale comparisons to the original, I'm sure.

You're not alone in your search, though, for what it's worth. And while I know it's not in the plans for this upcoming Autumn's Lunacy blends, I'm all for a "Bring Back Hunter Moon for 2006, PLEASE!" petition should the opportunity arise. ;}

You're not alone in your search, though, for what it's worth. And while I know it's not in the plans for this upcoming Autumn's Lunacy blends, I'm all for a "Bring Back Hunter Moon for 2006, PLEASE!" petition should the opportunity arise. ;}

You and me both!! Hunter Moon is definitely my favorite so far, it really embodies my idea of what Autumn smells like and I just ADORE it. If they brought it back, I'd order as many as my bank account would allow haha! I just ordered another 3 imps and a 5ml from forum members, I do love it so.

Thanks for all the comparisons too! Lampades is definitely going on my next order, as is Lady Macbeth - which I had a feeling might come out sweeter, so I figured I'd try layering it with a dab of Three Witches myself (another fave!).

Arachne surprises me, but hey if someone out there thinks it might compare in smell, I am ALL up for giving it a shot haha. And maybe I'll get lucky and get a bit of Baba Yaga in one of my 3 pending orders so I can check that out for myself :P

i found it I FOUND IT *hopping around wildly like a nut job* i found a sister scent to my f54 drum roll please.....lilith. they are not exactly the same obviously, but it is similar enough that i can stop obsessing abt f54 running out...omg dear lilith why oh why did no one tell me :P

If you like Egg Nog you'll probably like Golden Priapus too (about 15 minutes after application, when the pine has faded). It has the same vanilla as the Eggynog. :P

that must be it, cause a friend said lilith smelled like cat ass on her :D i was like  :D  def not cat ass :P f54 is my all time favorite oil and lilith is so so close, it has a heavier hint of myrhh but other then that very much the same. and i am glad i am not the only one that noticed it

Lilith has some sort of dark musk in it, doesn't it? Black musk, maybe? (Too lazy to look). That would probably explain the cat ass thing. :D

For me, Lilith was like a weaker, less expensive smelling version of F54, but really damn close. :D

that must be it, cause a friend said lilith smelled like cat ass on her :D i was like  :D  def not cat ass :P f54 is my all time favorite oil and lilith is so so close, it has a heavier hint of myrhh but other then that very much the same. and i am glad i am not the only one that noticed it

Lilith has some sort of dark musk in it, doesn't it? Black musk, maybe? (Too lazy to look). That would probably explain the cat ass thing. :D

For me, Lilith was like a weaker, less expensive smelling version of F54, but really damn close. :D

i agree

This may not really help since it's another LE, but something in Hexennacht definitely reminded me of Hunter Moon, but without the juicy wine aspect, so maybe it was what other people refer to as smokiness that was similar.

On me, Living Flame has a similar drydown and feel to F'54. It lacks the booziness, of course, but other than that it is quite reminiscent of 54.

I notice clover made this association a few months ago, but I just had to mention that Snow white and Szepasszony share at least one note. whatever the interpretation of rain is, it's very strong in Snow White, and only appears as Szepasszony starts to dry.

I spotted the similarity because this is the note that turned Snow White plastic on me; however, it's quite bearable in Szepasszony in that must-prod-sore-tooth kind of way...

Minilux is absolutely correct - I knew that Hexennacht reminded me of something and I think it's the smoky notes from Hunter Moon. Those were the only notes that really showed up on me with HM, so I swapped it away, but combined with whatever magical goodness is in Hexennacht the smoke is divine. There's also something about Hexennacht that reminds me a bit of Samhain, another autumn scent that despised me... maybe it's the forest component?

Again comparing LE to LE... I get a very strong Sugar Skull vibe from Pink Moon for about the first hour or so. Perhaps it's just the way my nose interprets the sugar or strawberry notes in there. Certainly no complaints here - I love Sugar Skull, and I love Pink Moon whether it's smelling sweet or morphing into floral loveliness.

Gomorrah is definitely the closest to Hunter Moon that I've found. Hexennacht shared the smokiness, but was considerably sweeter than Hunter Moon. On me at least, Gomorrah has the exact ripe fruitiness of Hunter Moon and actually seems to have a bit of the smokiness, too. And it's not turning into an overwhelmingly sweet fig like the other BPAL fig scents have done on me. It's lovely! :P

ETA: They don't smell anything alike out of the bottle, and Gomorrah is missing the sharper tinge of what I assume is the wine mixed with fruit. But I still think it's the closest to Hunter Moon. Lady Macbeth was way too sweet and Hexennacht was smokey without the fruitiness and a very different sweetness.

Very interesting the way people create scent associations. I can see similiarity between F54 and Lilith as well as between Samhain and Hexennacht. It's not that either smell like the other but more of a similiar association/feel for me. Although I would bet there is an ingredient similair :-)

I just wonder how much of the associations we make are based on actually detecting a note or particular fragrance within the blend vs. how much a scent "feels" similiar to our noses.

Hmmm, it's late and I probably made no sense at all!! LOL