Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Can anyone tell me if Pink Snowballs is very similar to Victoria? They both have vanilla and rose, Pink Snowballs is one of my favorites but I only have one bottle.

Can anyone tell me if Pink Snowballs is very similar to Victoria? They both have vanilla and rose, Pink Snowballs is one of my favorites but I only have one bottle.

I'll try to test when I get home, but to my memory they aren't similar. Pink Snowballs has a chilly quality that Victoria doesn't have, and Victoria is a bit dusty on me, IIRC.

I'll try to test when I get home, but to my memory they aren't similar. Pink Snowballs has a chilly quality that Victoria doesn't have, and Victoria is a bit dusty on me, IIRC.

Victoria is a yellower oil, and is a slightly-dusty deeper rose scent. Pink snowballs is a bit girlier, a touch foody vanilla (which isn't to say it's foody at all--because it isn't. It's just foodier than Victoria). It's also noticeably cooler. Something like Pink Snowballs is the girl that grows up to be Victoria.

On my skin, Pink Snowballs is a fresh and cool rose scent--the lab's snow note plus the barest hint of cut greens somewhere along with the predominant gentle rose note. Victoria is an elegant rose, tending towards dusty, with a hint of the lily (or other floral at any rate). It's still a fresh rose but it doesn't have the coolness nor the hint of green in Pink Snowballs.

Victoria is a yellower oil, and is a slightly-dusty deeper rose scent. Pink snowballs is a bit girlier, a touch foody vanilla (which isn't to say it's foody at all--because it isn't. It's just foodier than Victoria). It's also noticeably cooler. Something like Pink Snowballs is the girl that grows up to be Victoria.

On my skin, Pink Snowballs is a fresh and cool rose scent--the lab's snow note plus the barest hint of cut greens somewhere along with the predominant gentle rose note. Victoria is an elegant rose, tending towards dusty, with a hint of the lily (or other floral at any rate). It's still a fresh rose but it doesn't have the coolness nor the hint of green in Pink Snowballs.

Thanks for comparing them for me! It's a shame they aren't a match. I love the chilly quality, combined with Rose that Pink Snowballs has. I might end up trying Victoria at some stage anyway, just to see what it's like. :)

I just tried Veronica from the set of Courtesans decants I got forever ago. Finally a floral that doesn't trigger an immediate headache!!

Is there something similar to this in the GC?

[snip]

Thanks for comparing them for me! It's a shame they aren't a match. I love the chilly quality, combined with Rose that Pink Snowballs has. I might end up trying Victoria at some stage anyway, just to see what it's like. :)

You might want to try Roses, Pearls and Diamonds from the Marchen line. I have both it and Pink Snowballs and while I wouldn't say that they are direct dupes of each other, they both have that cold, rosey quality. Pink Snowballs is a little sweeter and has that unique lily musk quality I get from Snow White. RP&D is a little more refined and ethereal--like the foggy spring night version of Pink Snowballs.

Although we don't know exactly when the Carnaval is coming back, you can also look around for a decant of L'Heure Verte. It's a creamy rosewater scent with a bit of an icy edge from the addition of absinthe.

I just fell madly in love with Teatime in Roswell (Earl Grey, biscuits, Battenberg cake, and strangely-glowing cucumber sandwiches). It is now my precious. Is there anything in the GC that matches it?

There isn't an exact match, but you can get close if you layer Bread and Butter-Fly with Squirting Cucumber. (YMMV, of course. Bread and Butter-Fly is, of course, a little more toasty than Teatime, and less cakey, but because it's a creamy tea with sugar, it's pretty similar, for me.)

You could also try Dorian or Theodosius, for the bergamot in the Earl Grey, layered with Squirting Cucumeber. They have added musk, but especially aged, they have a nice sweet, creamy quality. (IME Theodosius is softer and creamier, less musky, than Dorian, so it might be the better option to test.)

--

On a different note, if you want something that's super similar to Giant Vulva, try Judith and Holofernes. J&H has patchouli, so it ends up darker and earthier than Giant Vulva, on my skin, BUT, wet, they're very, very similar. Giant Vulva is a bit brighter, sparklier, for me.

So try it if you want something in the same ballpark, or if you want a darker version of Giant Vulva.

Edited by naeelah

For those who loved Tin Phoenix a few years back, I find that it is remarkably similar to Whitechapel.

And I know that it is borderline-sacrilege to compare people's beloved Pink Moon '07 to *anything* but on my skin it is identical to Alice.

When it was first released, many people drew comparisons between The Atrocious Attic and Antique Lace! I remember the Attic smelled more floral (and it has rose in it, which isn't a good note for me), but it did have the underpinnings of AL.

Quick question: Is there anything like WILF in the GC? The beloved enjoys it greatly and is concerned (now that he has half a bottle left) that WILF might not be coming back. Obviously, the Snake Charmer comparisons aren't a great backup plan. Or Temple Viper.

I'm thinking I should try to get him something entirely different, so he can't compare it to WILF (which does smell amazing and manly and sexay on him) and end up disappointed. But if there's something GC that's similar, I'd like to be able to reassure him that his wonderful smellies can be replaced.

Help?

(WILF - Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.)

Hi, Tawaen :)

Check the reviews for both Tombeur and Crowley. Tombeur, on my skin, is similar (though not a duplicate). Crowley is not similar but is out of this world.

Quick question: Is there anything like WILF in the GC? The beloved enjoys it greatly and is concerned (now that he has half a bottle left) that WILF might not be coming back. Obviously, the Snake Charmer comparisons aren't a great backup plan. Or Temple Viper.

I'm thinking I should try to get him something entirely different, so he can't compare it to WILF (which does smell amazing and manly and sexay on him) and end up disappointed. But if there's something GC that's similar, I'd like to be able to reassure him that his wonderful smellies can be replaced.

Help?

(WILF - Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.)

You might try mixing a few things... The chocolate mint reminds me of How Doth the Little Crocodile, the juniper of Illustrated Woman and Golden Priapus, the vanilla/musk/patchouli of Snake Oil.

Golden Priapus layered with Snake Oil reminds me so so much of WILF it's uncanny!

I'm finding Boo to smell very similar to Eat Me and even Drink Me with the caramel-like sweetness and rich, buttery cream notes. Boo smells a bit more like a custard base for vanilla ice cream than a tart with custard cream inside. All are delicious, though.

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll see if he likes Snake Oil on it's own. :-) And if that's not good enough, I'll see if any of the combinations work.

Infernal Lover WITHOUT red musk is a cousin to Lady Una. No green tea or blackberry, but the "honey musk" note that dominates Lady Una is similar to the light honey sweetness of that version of Infernal Lover.

Jonesing for Hand of Glory, I tried the Lights of Men's Lives and was temporarily appeased. The waxiness is similar, minus the smoke and nutmeg.

Hi :)

I have soooo many bpals. I have a lot of the various pumpkin scents through the years such as:

Mango Infused Pumpkin Chai Latte

Fizzy Pumpkin

Pumpkin Latte

Pumpkin Princess

Candied Pumpkin

Pumpkin 5

Pumpkin 3

General Catalogue

Jack

But 07 Pumpkin 5 is my absolute favorite. I wear it all the time and am dangerously low. The only one of the many other pumpkins I have that may come a little close is Pumpkin Latte (which is my second favorite).

I'm not sure what the exact note beside pumpkin I love in this. but it's just got such a glorious unique scent to it. I absolutely love it.

So my question are.. is there anything remarkably simliar to 07's Pumpkin 5?

Do you think any of the new ones this year in the pumpkin patch will smell same/similiar?

Was Pumpkin 5 '09 similiar?

Is there a secret place where I might be able to buy another bottle of '07 Pumpkin 5 that isn't crazy expensive?

Here are the notes:

Pumpkin with benzoin, bourbon vanilla, lemon peel, neroli, blood orange, and red ginger.

I think Pumpkin Queen comes closest to it, which isn't really much help. :P Layering this year's #5 (Lightly spiced pumpkin pulp swirled with bourbon vanilla, French vanilla, and raw vanilla bean) with Vixen (orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli) might be worth a try.

I just tried Hunger for the first time. To me, it's very close, almost identical, to Snake Charmer. I don't understand how this can be, given the notes listed. But I'm glad to have found it because my Snake Charmer is getting low!

A question: Any recommendations for a BPAL scent that smells similar to Snow Glass Apples?

Background story:Bought an imp of Snow Glass Apples for a friend who was keen on trying BPAL perfumes,and now she's head over heels over it.Finding a bottle of Snow Glass Apples is difficult due to the super limited availability of the bottle-so any suggestions would be much appreciated.=)

I haven't tried snow glass apples but I know verdandi has a nice deep appley note, and the herbs give it a cooler feeling. It's not snow exactly but maybe worth a try.

Does anyone know of a gc blend that is like mictecacihuatl? That may be my all time favorite- I wish they'd make it permanent!

Just wantzed to add my bit about a Giant Vulva substitute: I have an aged (cobalt) bottle of Xiuhtecuhtli, and it smells very, very similar to my GV.

Xiu seems more.. orange, though. Spicy orange blossom. But the rest - the sugary, slightly musky floral quality - all GV on me. Xiu will be my go-to scent in case I happen to finish my 2 GV bottles. ;)

A little different than GV but from the same scent family: Blossoms in Springtime.

Ooh I might have to try Blossoms in Springtime now!

And if you like Giant Vulva and Xiuhtecuhtli, then you should try The First of the Three Spirits as well. :)

A question: Any recommendations for a BPAL scent that smells similar to Snow Glass Apples?

Background story:Bought an imp of Snow Glass Apples for a friend who was keen on trying BPAL perfumes,and now she's head over heels over it.Finding a bottle of Snow Glass Apples is difficult due to the super limited availability of the bottle-so any suggestions would be much appreciated.=)

You might try mixing a snow scent like Kumari Kandam with an apple scent like one of the Apples from last year's Weenies... Glittering Apple of the Stars would be my recommendation, but it does have a sweeter and somewhat more flowery scent than SGA.