Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I have never smelled it, but I just thought I'd say that I guess you already thought of this, but just in case; some Ebayers are Forumites and can be chatted with and checked feedback on here, if you are lucky - that is, if you feel like forum-purchases :)

I have nothing actually helpful to add though, but I wish you good luck :)

The suggestions for similar things that I could find in the review thread were Yggdrasil, Arkham, and Schwarzer Mond. My other recommendation to get something similar would be to find a very woody scent and layer it with a bit of a sassafrasy scent. You may need to layer three, with sandalwood (easily findable in the general catalogue), pine (easily findable in the yule scents), and sassafras (can be found in both GCs and LEs, and I don't know which is best).

Ooh, thank you! I'll add them to the search list!

The suggestions for similar things that I could find in the review thread were Yggdrasil, Arkham, and Schwarzer Mond. My other recommendation to get something similar would be to find a very woody scent and layer it with a bit of a sassafrasy scent. You may need to layer three, with sandalwood (easily findable in the general catalogue), pine (easily findable in the yule scents), and sassafras (can be found in both GCs and LEs, and I don't know which is best).

Anyone else think aged Goblin is remarkably similar to Banshee Beat? The coconut is barely there and I find them amazingly similar. (note to self - age bottle of Goblin!) :)

OMG! I got my Marianne yesterday and tried it. I think it's like liquid crack cuz I can't get enough of it! I don't do crack or drugs in general for that matter but I just think it was a good analogy cuz they say crack is highly addictive.I think it might be the red musk, idk.So, I'm looking for other oils that smell similar, or other oils with red musk in it seeing my bottle of Marianne is just under half full and my skin just sucks up oil like crazy.Thanks in advance posters!

OMG! I got my Marianne yesterday and tried it. I think it's like liquid crack cuz I can't get enough of it! I don't do crack or drugs in general for that matter but I just think it was a good analogy cuz they say crack is highly addictive.I think it might be the red musk, idk.So, I'm looking for other oils that smell similar, or other oils with red musk in it seeing my bottle of Marianne is just under half full and my skin just sucks up oil like crazy.Thanks in advance posters!

I'm a red musk junkie! :lol: I adore that stuff! Some of my favorite blends with red musk are Hygeia, Luna Negra, and MME Moriarty, Red Lace, and L'essence de Passion. Hygeia and Red Lace are particularly perfect. :wub2:

Hollywood Babylon and Scherezade are beautiful red musk blends, too. I hope you find a winner! :)

Mircalla from the '09 Weenies is very similar to Marianne. I went through a red musk phase and couldn't get enough of either. You may also want to try and track down The Infernal Lover.

1335710477[/url]' post='2147193']

Mircalla from the '09 Weenies is very similar to Marianne. I went through a red musk phase and couldn't get enough of either. You may also want to try and track down The Infernal Lover.

Oh thanks for the tip. I will be on the lookout for both. When I do I will let you know how I made out with them. I need some absolute favorites.

Luck and Laughter,Tricia

1335708209[/url]' post='2147183']

Hollywood Babylon and Scherezade are beautiful red musk blends, too. I hope you find a winner! :)

I have Hollywood Babylon. I really like it a lot. It was one of my first purchases.

Thanks,Tricia

Okay...either I'm crazy, or my skin amps bay rum and vanilla like crazy, or something...but I'm finding that for something similar to Hellhound on My Trail (Bay rum, bourbon vanilla, galangal, hyssop, High John the Conqueror root, tobacco, life everlasting, and brimstone), maybe try out Marquis de Carabas (A splash of bay rum, leather, dusty black wool, massoia bark, and opium residue) or Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (Sassafras, vanilla extract, oak leaf, CO2 butter extract, and onycha). On me, Hellhound is like a mix of the two, but less masculine than Marquis de Carabas. It's crazy. But so awesome... :eek:

ETA: And now Hellhound has dried down to exactly how Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener smells on me. Thing is, I love how Hellhound evolves overall, so I'm still holding out for a res. :beg:

Edited by plainjean

Oh thanks for the tip. I will be on the lookout for both. When I do I will let you know how I made out with them. I need some absolute favorites.

Luck and Laughter,Tricia

I have Hollywood Babylon. I really like it a lot. It was one of my first purchases.

Thanks,Tricia

I too am a red musk junkie, so don't forget about Lust, in the Sin & Salvation section. Love it a lot! :wub2:

Luck and Laughter,Tricia

Thanks,Tricia

I too am a red musk junkie, so don't forget about Lust, in the Sin & Salvation section. Love it a lot! :wub2:

I also am a fan of the red musk. While it's another LE, getting any year of Smut should be relatively easy to find- BPAL is good about re-releasing it nearly every Lupercalia, so folks are usually willing to trade them. For a red musk fan, it's worth hoarding. At the latest, you should be able to stock up next January when the next set of Lupers go live ;)

So is it just me or has anyone else had the great fortune of having Morocco smell nearly identical to Antique Lace on their skin??? I sniffed it at a Will Call a few months back and did a test and ZOMG, it's really, really close! I'm relieved because I adore Antique Lace so very much and don't have nearly as much on hand as I'd like, so I'm just thrilled that Morocco is an almost dead ringer for it!

Oh wow! I haven't smelled Antique Lace...but I love Morocco! And I know this doesn't belong here, but Mr. Jacquel smells almost identical to Morocco on my skin. :)

So is it just me or has anyone else had the great fortune of having Morocco smell nearly identical to Antique Lace on their skin??? I sniffed it at a Will Call a few months back and did a test and ZOMG, it's really, really close! I'm relieved because I adore Antique Lace so very much and don't have nearly as much on hand as I'd like, so I'm just thrilled that Morocco is an almost dead ringer for it!

Lucky you! :lol: Sadly Morocco doesn't do that for me. It was nice in small amounts but I slathered a bit once and that's when I discovered carnation turns to cloves on me and I amp cloves and I can't stand cloves. :lol:

Re: My search for a replacement for The Montauk Project:

Yggdrasil definitely has the mixed-wood notes; the drydown reminds me a lot of TMP. The hickory isn't as strong, and it needs a sassafras note layered into it, I think, but it's a good start.

With my chemistry, Weeping Branches Moon is similar to Titania and Kitsune-Tsuki. WBM has more notes, but the others have a similar "dewy, ethereal" type feeling while being fruity-florals.

Anyone else think aged Goblin is remarkably similar to Banshee Beat? The coconut is barely there and I find them amazingly similar. (note to self - age bottle of Goblin!) :)

Yes they are VERY similar. They have the same patchouli. But I do like the vanilla in BB over the coconut. But they are totally related! :D

Just wantzed to add my bit about a Giant Vulva substitute: I have an aged (cobalt) bottle of Xiuhtecuhtli, and it smells very, very similar to my GV.

Xiu seems more.. orange, though. Spicy orange blossom. But the rest - the sugary, slightly musky floral quality - all GV on me. Xiu will be my go-to scent in case I happen to finish my 2 GV bottles. ;)

A little different than GV but from the same scent family: Blossoms in Springtime.

I really miss my bottle of Plastic Pink Flamingo. Is there a perfume that is similar to it? i'm still hoping to find a new bottle, but just in case I don't, I would like to find a substitute :)

If anyone is looking for a possible alternative to The Fairies which was recently released, I find Ladon is extremely similar due to the beautiful apple blossom. I think Ladon has a little more depth to it because of the dragon's blood resin and overall seems fuller with a stronger throw. The Fairies on the other hand is a touch more fruity and airy with less throw and a more green feel to it, but they are similar enough to my nose! I personally prefer Ladon though :)

For anyone still regretting not having grabbed Variety of Pleasing Amusements (or looking for something similar for whatever reason), I've found that Perversion gives a very similar scent and feel on the drydown. Must be the sweet + leather combo. On me, Perversion is a bit sweeter with the hint of coconut/vanilla, and also more feminine, while Variety is smokier, muskier and more 'raw', but the core of the scents is very very similar.

Edited by kaitan