Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Some people compare Goblin to BB--the patchouli note is similar, but it lacks that yummy vanilla and hemp. I've had better luck with a perfume from another company (that's alcohol-based) that I found quite similar. Maybe you could layer Goblin with something vanilla-y--Tombstone?

Some people compare Goblin to BB--the patchouli note is similar, but it lacks that yummy vanilla and hemp. I've had better luck with a perfume from another company (that's alcohol-based) that I found quite similar. Maybe you could layer Goblin with something vanilla-y--Tombstone?

I need to know what GCs smell like Banshee Beat! I spilled my bottle today :cry2: (first devastating spill ever). I'm hoping a sweet forumite will sell me there back up. But if that does not happen I need to know what else may work. I LOVE the black vanilla note in it the most. And the patchoulli in it is the ONLY patchoulli that worked for me so far. So please tell me what else is similar or the closest! :wub2:

Vanilla323 - Banshee Beat is my most favourite BPAL, and I haven't found anything else in the GC that smells anything like it. Tombstone has a similar feel, but it's different.. and Goblin (which was mentioned by Orata) has a similar darkness but the coconut makes it completely different to BB. Those two are definitely worth a try though, if you like the darker vanillas. Sorry I haven't got any suggestions for you as Banshee Beat substitutes, but I've seen bottles of BB around here for sale, so hopefully you'll be able to replace your bottle.

And I'm late to reply to earlier questions, but here goes...

Is there anything LE or GC that smells like Neil Gaiman's Orange? I am so in love that it hurts. :(

Reviving this to let you know that you're not alone and that I, too, am pining away for Orange. Specifically, I want to know where else in the BPAL catalogue I can find that Orange-Crush-esque bit to Orange that I got. I know there's already a thread for orange blossom (which I'm scouring!) and I had recommendations for outside-of-BPAL, commercial-brand perfume, but I am on a hunt for the perfect Orange-y orange.

You guys should try and track down PL176 - it's a prototype, so it won't be easy to find, but definitely easier to find than Orange! PL176 is a gorgeous straight-up orange crush :smile:

Any hope for similar scents to Midway? Besides Midway Res, and others are saying Velvet Unicorn, but that seems hard to track down.

Velvet Unicorn has a 'pink' tone to it, more candy-like, so for me it's not at all like Midway/Midway Res. I haven't found a GC or LE yet that's even close to that unique smell of Midway :(

Is Goblin sweet at all? Or is it all Patchoulli? And Tomstone scares me because of the balsam and cedar but does the vanilla overpower those?

Wonder what vanilla scent would be the same/closest as the one in Banshee Beat to layer with?

Edited by Vanilla323

Is Goblin sweet at all? Or is it all Patchoulli? And Tomstone scares me because of the balsam and cedar but does the vanilla overpower those?

Wonder what vanilla scent would be the same/closest as the one in Banshee Beat to layer with?

Goblin isn't really sweet.. it's kinda gnarly, raw, dirty - but in a good way.. but that's coming from me, a lover of black coconut :) The benzoin in Goblin is sweet and syrupy - similar to a dark vanilla - but it's not 'foodie' like vanilla is, but mostly it's all about the patchouli with Goblin - it's pretty patchouli-heavy, but it's not as full-on as it is in #occupywallstreet, and the coconut/benzoin sweeten it up nicely. Tombstone is really lovely - the balsam is similar to the hemp in BB, and the cedar is soft and smooth because it has the sassafras to warm it up, but to me the vanilla is the star of the show - with the balsam it has a really nice smokey tone.

They're both worth a try, I'd say.. but out of the two, Goblin is probably more Banshee Beat-ish because it has that same raw kind of vibe about it, and the same syrupy rich feel as BB. If you like black coconut and patchouli, then Gobin is a must-try anyways :smile:

Goblin isn't really sweet.. it's kinda gnarly, raw, dirty - but in a good way.. but that's coming from me, a lover of black coconut :) The benzoin in Goblin is sweet and syrupy - similar to a dark vanilla - but it's not 'foodie' like vanilla is, but mostly it's all about the patchouli with Goblin - it's pretty patchouli-heavy, but it's not as full-on as it is in #occupywallstreet, and the coconut/benzoin sweeten it up nicely. Tombstone is really lovely - the balsam is similar to the hemp in BB, and the cedar is soft and smooth because it has the sassafras to warm it up, but to me the vanilla is the star of the show - with the balsam it has a really nice smokey tone.

They're both worth a try, I'd say.. but out of the two, Goblin is probably more Banshee Beat-ish because it has that same raw kind of vibe about it, and the same syrupy rich feel as BB. If you like black coconut and patchouli, then Gobin is a must-try anyways :smile:

I'm so torn. I may just order both (Goblin & Tombstone) and hope for the best! I could always swap/sell if they don't work out. But I'm still wondering which vanilla is in BB and if I could find it in another sent as well to layer. ;)

The only scent that has black vanilla listed as a note is Antikythera Mechanism (Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco)and it's currently on back order and not available for purchase.

The only scent that has black vanilla listed as a note is Antikythera Mechanism (Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco)and it's currently on back order and not available for purchase.

I thought about that one too. It sounds nice. I was able to add it to my shopping cart, but didn't buy it. Where did you see that it was discontinued?

I bought a bottle of Goblin unsniffed because it sounded like a scent made especially for me - raw and dirty patchouli with black coconut. Alas, I didn't know what benzoin smells like and in my n00bish excitment I didn't bother to find out. BIG mistake. It was so overwhelmingly and unbearably sweet I almost cried in despair, especially since I could still smell the gorgeous patchouli + coconut combo underneath the evil benzoin. Funnily enough, the first time I tried it I happened to be eating some coconut cookies - and Goblin smelled EXACTLY the same! Very sweet and foody. I tried it again a few times after that with no cookies in sight to interfere with the scent - same thing. :sad: Probably my biggest disappointment so far. On the other hand, recently I received an imp of Death Adder which is everything I expected Goblin to be. Can't wait for the CD to come back!

Anyone got any suggestions for scents like Autumn Coolness or Sapphics? Sort of a sweet woodsy (but not pine or decaying anything) kind of thing? I know these are kind of different, but they have the same kind of vibe to me and that's really what I'm looking for I think.

Sappphics

Tonka, oakmoss, tolu balsam, grey amber, myrrh, and muguet.

Autumn Coolness

The scent of wisteria, Cymbidium, lotus blossom, and cassia buds drifting on a breeze through gently swaying bamboo reeds.

There was an announcement made by wickedgoddess. There was a component issue, and they should be starting to ship soonish (think it said end of Feb. but I could be wrong).

I thought about that one too. It sounds nice. I was able to add it to my shopping cart, but didn't buy it. Where did you see that it was discontinued?

There was an announcement made by wickedgoddess. There was a component issue, and they should be starting to ship soonish (think it said end of Feb. but I could be wrong).

Maybe they are shipping it again! How could we find out?

Sorry to hijack the current conversation, but does anyone have any idea how similar Bon Vivant is to the fruity Champagnes that have been released? (I'm thinking Mango Lychee in particular, just because that's the one I'm most familiar with.) I'd love for it to be similar enough that I've found a GC equivalent... For me, Mango Lychee Champagne is fruity ginger-ale, and I'm looking for more, but I really can't afford to chase down Sangria/Peach Champagne or more Mango Lychee.

Sorry to hijack the current conversation, but does anyone have any idea how similar Bon Vivant is to the fruity Champagnes that have been released? (I'm thinking Mango Lychee in particular, just because that's the one I'm most familiar with.) I'd love for it to be similar enough that I've found a GC equivalent... For me, Mango Lychee Champagne is fruity ginger-ale, and I'm looking for more, but I really can't afford to chase down Sangria/Peach Champagne or more Mango Lychee.

I only had a second-hand imp, so it may have gone bad at some point, but I didn't like Bon Vivant at all, but really liked both Mango Lychee and Sangria Champagne. I didn't find it fizzy like the Champagnes, and it smelled kind of overly sweet/fake to me.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out of my self-pity.

I just bought a bottle of Paduan Killer Swarm from the forums, and I'm heartbroken. Because it is the most DROP-DEAD AWESOME THING I have EVER smelled. And I'm so sad that it's hard to find. Can anyone recommend something similar? I'd like to find a GC scent, but a less-rare LE would be awesome, too.

Paduan Killer Swarm's notes are: "Tonka, black licorice, amber, golden sandalwood, ginger cream, bitter clove, stinging nettle, cinnamon bark, and coconut shell."

On me, it's a warm, dark vanilla (I'm guessing that's the tonka?), with lots of warm smoky clove, a hint of dark coconut and sandalwood, and a teeny bit of licorice.

Ultimately I'm looking for lots of tonka and clove, and a tiny bit of coconut...I could live without the licorice if I had to. Thoughts? Pretty please? Sniffle.

Ultimately I'm looking for lots of tonka and clove, and a tiny bit of coconut...I could live without the licorice if I had to. Thoughts? Pretty please? Sniffle.

Paduan Killer Swarm is like a combination of Perversion and O on my skin. I get very little anise/licorice from it, and mainly a dark, spicy tonka and strong honeycomb note from PKS.

I was thinking of getting a bottle of Elizabeth of Bohemia before the Lupers go down, but does anyone know (or can maybe guess) if this is very close to other rosey blends the Lab does? I'm already buying a bottle of Snooty Rose very soon, so I want to make sure they aren't closely related. Thanks.

Paduan Killer Swarm is like a combination of Perversion and O on my skin. I get very little anise/licorice from it, and mainly a dark, spicy tonka and strong honeycomb note from PKS.

I happened to have an imp of Perversion waiting to be tested, so I put it on one wrist and PKS on the other, and you're right. There's definitely a similarity. Perversion is a lot stronger, like PKS amped up. ("This one goes to 11...") ... I think it would be a suitable stand-in, especially if I used it sparingly. Thanks so much. :D

ok, i've got 2 backups of my beloved Anactoria, but those were kind of hard to come by... any suggestions on a comparable gc or le?

ok, i've got 2 backups of my beloved Anactoria, but those were kind of hard to come by... any suggestions on a comparable gc or le?

Defututa is similar in tone. It lacks that strange cleanliness you get from the Arabian musk in Anactoria.

Tested it and Defututa with a little dab of Bathsheba is a reasonable, but not identical, dupe.

I have only half an imp of The Montauk Project, and apparently, it's not popular -- I can only find a couple of imps for sales, and even then, they're usually half-imps. :cry2:

The notes are: shagbark hickory, sassafras, black gum, bald cypress, pine, dogwood, wild comfrey, swamp sunflower, and trumpet creeper.

I tried searching the catalog on the various notes and can't find anything that seems similar. Any suggestions?

The first BPAL I'm really loving is LE - Fire Phoenix (anniversary '08). Just in case I have a hard time getting ahold of it in the future, and also on the off chance I come across something even better, I was wondering if anyone knew of similar scents. In vibe, if not exact notes, since they look fairly unique to me.

Notes are: Chinese musk and red musk with hyacinth, cactus flower, cubeb berry, galangal, tobacco, pink pepper, and sarsaparilla.

I especially liked the way rich fruit notes gave dimension to the strong peppery and musky base. Something like incense in there too. Thoughts?

wasn't sure where to post this, does anything ever smell like unseelie? i've heard johnson baby powder but i would like something more refined:) and readily available as well:) any help is appreciated!

Looking at the note list, it seems like it's a grassy floral scent. Having not tried it myself, which notes ar dominant on you?

For grass and floral notes, you might look at Garden Path with Chickens, in the Salon, The Apothocary in Illyria, Amsterdam or Glascow from Wanderlust, or layering Squirting Cucumber from Rappaccini's Garden over a light floral.

If you want something to get across the misty or otherworldly qualities the reviewers were mentioning for Unseelie, try Moonshine and Mist, from Marchen.

Unseelie is one of my favorite oils, and I cherish my small stash of it. Although the description says it is grassy and floral, most people find it to be very powdery. I don't consider it floral at all. It's hard to describe -- it's sort of silky, soft and mysterious. I'm pretty sure it contains amber or ambergris as a base note. If you've never smelled it, for reference purposes I think it smells a bit like Bourbon French Kus Kus or Guerlain L'Heure Bleue.

Right now the closest GC scent to Unseelie, I think, is Old Scratch. There's another discontinued oil (discontinued, but easier to find in swaps than Unseelie) called Tarot: The Devil that smells remarkably similar to Unseelie. Another one worth checking out is Psychological Horror, which is sold only through Dark Delicacies. Psych Horror is more straight-up musky baby powder, whereas Unseelie is a bit more herbal-powdery and nuanced.

I received an empty of Monsterbait: Underpants in a swap and I'm in love with the scent, like I know many other BPAL lovers are! It seems like anyone who had or has a bottle has swapped it away and I'm not sure if I trust ebay. Has anyone come across a similar scent in the GC or maybe other LE? Thanks for all your help ladies & gents :wub2:

Not GC, but I find the saffron in Pussy Moth is very similar to me. Underpants is a bit smoother and "simpler" than Pussy, but I find them relatively close enough.

>_>

Edited by angelamaria