Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I love The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches and am so glad that I ordered a bottle while it was live. I have never been interested in pine scents before, but the sandalwood and smoke are wonderful, and I think it I've discovered a new love in the terebinth pine note. Can anyone recommend something similar? I've tried Black Forest, but it is lacking the smokiness that I love with Night Hag, and I can't think what to layer it with to bring out the smokiness of Night Hag. I'm also hesitant to randomly try other pine scents for fear of them smelling like bathroom cleaner.

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but what would be similar to Blackbear Moon? I got a bottle and will probably try to get a back up (from someone), but wanted to see if there are any another blends in the same category.

Edited by MadameFaye84

I love The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches and am so glad that I ordered a bottle while it was live. I have never been interested in pine scents before, but the sandalwood and smoke are wonderful, and I think it I've discovered a new love in the terebinth pine note. Can anyone recommend something similar? I've tried Black Forest, but it is lacking the smokiness that I love with Night Hag, and I can't think what to layer it with to bring out the smokiness of Night Hag. I'm also hesitant to randomly try other pine scents for fear of them smelling like bathroom cleaner.

I too adore The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches and am interested in finding a similar GC. I am hoping that Dracul and might be similar but I haven't tried it yet. The RPGs might be a good route to take - perhaps an Evil Elf Ranger or a Lawful Gnome Ranger?

YMMV, but I made a note in my spreadsheet about the drydown of Odin being somewhat similar to Night Hag--dry smoky wood. It starts with lots of vetiver though.

I too adore The Night Hag Visiting the Lapland Witches and am interested in finding a similar GC. I am hoping that Dracul and might be similar but I haven't tried it yet. The RPGs might be a good route to take - perhaps an Evil Elf Ranger or a Lawful Gnome Ranger?

I have an aged bottle of Dracul- it was my first bottle purchase in early 2006, and when it was fresh all I got was a minty orange scent. Now that it has aged, it is a dark clove, minty orange. I like it better now that it's aged, but unfortunately, it's nothing even close to Night Hag on me. :( But I haven't tried any of the RPGs, so I will look into them.

YMMV, but I made a note in my spreadsheet about the drydown of Odin being somewhat similar to Night Hag--dry smoky wood. It starts with lots of vetiver though.

I will have to dig through my massive collection of imps to see if I have Odin because I haven't kept up my spreadsheet. I don't think I have it, though, so will try it along with those RPG scents.

Thanks for the recs! And if anyone else finds a good Night Hag-ish scent, please let me know.

I was trying some Khrysee I got in a swap and it reminded me very strongly of a less-peachy Tamora!

Madamefaye, I thought Blackbear Moon smelled a lot like Werepuppy, but I liked Werepuppy better so I swapped Blackbear away. You might want to check out Werepuppy if you can find it. Something about that "furry" note that they share makes me feel they are similar.

Any hope for similar scents to Midway? Besides Midway Res, and others are saying Velvet Unicorn, but that seems hard to track down.

On me, Midway becomes a vanilla sugar, sweetbread dough bakery, bright candyfloss sort of scent. There is a touch of plastic, but bizarrely, I enjoy it, sort of like any scented doll, or the old My Little Ponies. Yes, really. There has never been caramel or salt in this, for me, so I'd hope to avoid those notes.

Edited by backstagemezzo

To me, the GC Bien Loin D'Ici is quite a bit like BPTP's Virginia (from the Courtesans), just somewhat less complex. I have a backup of Virginia, but it's still comforting to me to know this....

Is The Doom of Beauty much like Catherine or Bess? They all seem, from the note lists, to be members of the Hungary Water family.

Is The Doom of Beauty much like Catherine or Bess? They all seem, from the note lists, to be members of the Hungary Water family.

I thought it would be like Catherine (or Catherine's sister, I suppose) but on me, at least, it is very very herbal. After a long time it mellowed, and while it's nice, I would say it's more like a pretty-yet-unisex scent. I don't get any real floral from Doom of Beauty whereas I got all the notes vying for attention from Catherine.

On an unrelated note.. okay, so I have tested Glowing Vulva but it was very strong on me for some reason and I didn't really like that. However, a while back I was gifted an imp of the bath oil and I cannot believe how much nicer, comforting, softer, and mellower it is -- I now understand why you guys loved GV! :) So my question is.. are there any similarities in the GC or easier to find LEs for the bath oil GV? I know that Antikythera Mechanism has been mentioned, but that gets very masculine on me. I have also seen Haloes mentioned, and I plan to give it a shot if it's still carried at the store in Roswell. Any other ideas?

Is there anything similar to Sarah in the GC?

Unholy mist congealing into soft, white flesh, with black marble, remnants of liturgical incense, wolf's fur, and black flecks of froth.

To me, it's similar to Nyarlathotep, but colder and more feminine.

Is there anything LE or GC that smells like Neil Gaiman's Orange? I am so in love that it hurts. :(

Reviving this to let you know that you're not alone and that I, too, am pining away for Orange. Specifically, I want to know where else in the BPAL catalogue I can find that Orange-Crush-esque bit to Orange that I got. I know there's already a thread for orange blossom (which I'm scouring!) and I had recommendations for outside-of-BPAL, commercial-brand perfume, but I am on a hunt for the perfect Orange-y orange.

Leipreachaun? It smells like gorgeous dark green clover with dirt, maybe? Possibly also clover flowers. I also get pipe tobacco (I don't even mind it amping) with some sweet resin. Also I think there might be either resin or leather. It's sweet, green, fresh, earthy and rugged. Perfect for early spring.

I've tried Host of the Air for peat and clover, but sadly that turns a little soapy on me because of the lilies.

Maybe I should beg the lab to release it again? ;)

Edited by patina

can anyone just tell me what if any other kind of readily buyable scent unseelie might smell like? lol. i just discovered bpal like three months ago so am just learning all this stuff. why don't they jsut make it again for a bit :) i swear im going to get a steamer and expresser myself and make it :)

can anyone just tell me what if any other kind of readily buyable scent unseelie might smell like? lol. i just discovered bpal like three months ago so am just learning all this stuff. why don't they jsut make it again for a bit :) i swear im going to get a steamer and expresser myself and make it :)

You might get more of a response to this if you asked in the reccomendations forum. There's a thread there about finding GC (general collection) equivalents to the limited edition scents.

As for why they don't just make the scent again, a lot of the time they only have a certain amount of one of the component oils, or they can't get it for a long time. Whenever they make a scent for the general collection, they're saying that they think they have everything in line to keep making that scent for years to come. Especially with the economic downturn of the past few years, they can't make that promise easily, and they've had to stop making scents because they've lost suppliers and ingredients.

wasn't sure where to post this, does anything ever smell like unseelie? i've heard johnson baby powder but i would like something more refined:) and readily available as well:) any help is appreciated!

Edited by winterstring

wasn't sure where to post this, does anything ever smell like unseelie? i've heard johnson baby powder but i would like something more refined:) and readily available as well:) any help is appreciated!

Looking at the note list, it seems like it's a grassy floral scent. Having not tried it myself, which notes ar dominant on you?

For grass and floral notes, you might look at Garden Path with Chickens, in the Salon, The Apothocary in Illyria, Amsterdam or Glascow from Wanderlust, or layering Squirting Cucumber from Rappaccini's Garden over a light floral.

If you want something to get across the misty or otherworldly qualities the reviewers were mentioning for Unseelie, try Moonshine and Mist, from Marchen.

I need to know what GCs smell like Banshee Beat! I spilled my bottle today :cry2: (first devastating spill ever). I'm hoping a sweet forumite will sell me there back up. But if that does not happen I need to know what else may work. I LOVE the black vanilla note in it the most. And the patchoulli in it is the ONLY patchoulli that worked for me so far. So please tell me what else is similar or the closest! :wub2: