Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Is it just me or are Goblin and Banshee Beat eerily similar? I prefer BB-- I think it has more vanilla and is therefore sweeter, which I like-- but I tried Goblin tonight and wow. Really smelled familiar.

Trying Old Demons of the First Class today, and it strikes me as very similar to Smut and The Elephantine Colossus... sexy, sweet, smooth red musk with a little extra something you can't quite put your finger on. Very nice. I think it'd be a great GC stand-in for any of the red musk-heavy LEs.

Trying Old Demons of the First Class today, and it strikes me as very similar to Smut and The Elephantine Colossus... sexy, sweet, smooth red musk with a little extra something you can't quite put your finger on. Very nice. I think it'd be a great GC stand-in for any of the red musk-heavy LEs.

ITA; Old Demons was a surprise hit for me, and I want more. :)

Gypsy is a pretty good clone of (aged) Hellhound on my Trail. The latter is pretty much impossible to find lately.

A sweet swapper frimped me Ü Mütter Museum and I fell head over heals in love with it. It's the woodsy-but-not-pine scent I've been looking for. And OF COURSE it's hard to find. Yep, of course it is.

I added it to my "Wanted" post but so far, nothing.

Are there any GC bottles that smell similar? The notes are "A mélange of balsams, leathers, and raw vanilla designed to evoke images of unearthed secrets and dusty, ancient libraries"

Mmm, I'm huffing my wrist right now. Its soo goood!

Thanks guys :)

A sweet swapper frimped me Ü Mütter Museum and I fell head over heals in love with it. It's the woodsy-but-not-pine scent I've been looking for. And OF COURSE it's hard to find. Yep, of course it is.

No recommendations for you, as I haven't tried it myself. but it's not all that hard to find.

The Mütter Museum still has it up on their site http://www.muttermuseumstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MutterMuseumStore&Product_Code=000025&Category_Code=CUST for $25

I added it to my "Wanted" post but so far, nothing.

Are there any GC bottles that smell similar? The notes are "A mélange of balsams, leathers, and raw vanilla designed to evoke images of unearthed secrets and dusty, ancient libraries"

Mmm, I'm huffing my wrist right now. Its soo goood!

Thanks guys :)

I recall the drydown being very similar to Bow and Crown of Conquest, particularly after B&C gets a bit of age under its belt. It's also similar to one of my bottles of Perversion but completely different from the other one so if you're willing to take chances on batch differences, Perversion might also be a good choice.

No recommendations for you, as I haven't tried it myself. but it's not all that hard to find.

The Mütter Museum still has it up on their site http://www.muttermuseumstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MutterMuseumStore&Product_Code=000025&Category_Code=CUST for $25

Wow :blush: This is embarrassing. I had no idea it was still for sale. Thank you for the link. It's a bit more than I can afford though so I'm still going to look for a GC equivalent and/or see if I can buy or swap for a bottle here on the boards.

I recall the drydown being very similar to Bow and Crown of Conquest, particularly after B&C gets a bit of age under its belt. It's also similar to one of my bottles of Perversion but completely different from the other one so if you're willing to take chances on batch differences, Perversion might also be a good choice.

Thank you! Bow and Crown of Conquest sounds perfect. I'm going to put it on my list for sure. Perversion has some notes that don't work on me but I think I'll be on the lookout for an imp. Some of my favorite scents have been ones I would never have tried if someone wouldn't have frimped it to me :)

i'm just curious since i have plenty and plan on getting more, what would a gc stand in be for samhain? i'm drawing a blank on what would be similar other than other weenies.

i'm just curious since i have plenty and plan on getting more, what would a gc stand in be for samhain? i'm drawing a blank on what would be similar other than other weenies.

Hard to pick one close to Samhain that isn't a LE. You might want to try out Verdandi (deep herbs and apple with black amber). To me they both evoke a very similar feeling, which is that of a fall/Xmas candle. :P Verdandi doesn't specifically have the woodsiness of Samhain, but the herbs are indeed quite dramatic and make it feel a little wild, the apple they share in common giving it that comforting feeling, and where Verdandi lacks some of Samhain's other spices it's similarly sweetened by the amber.

Without having tried either, I would suggest trying Tombstone...no leather, but vanilla and balsam with an Old West feel.

Ekhidna came to mind for me... dark, earthy, spicy, and kinda smoky & fall leafy, lol. The drydown is more resinous/incensey, but I do think it has a feel that's similar to Samhain.

Ekhidna came to mind for me... dark, earthy, spicy, and kinda smoky & fall leafy, lol. The drydown is more resinous/incensey, but I do think it has a feel that's similar to Samhain.

i love ekhidna, but unless it's changed with a year's aging i don't get the same feel from it. they're still dark blends but i get a more...primal feel from ekhidna.

Just got a decant of Tattered Lace, and as soon as I opened it, I went, "DORIAN?!" Haven't tried it on yet, it's very similar to Dorian in the imp. Maybe more feminine. Will be interesting to see if/how it morphs on my skin. It's probably safe to call Dorian a decent GC substitute for it, though.

Hmm, interesting. Personally, I don't find Tattered Lace and Dorian much alike at all. For me, Dorian is a whole lot of bright musk with lemony tea. Tattered Lace is a subdued, creamy cotton with a lot of tea and cognac (or whatever the hooch is -- something strong and amber smelling), with nothing musky whatsoever. Definitely not as bright and sharp as I find Dorian. It isn't very dark or gritty yet, on my skin, but I figure it'll deepen and be a bit smokier in time.

I'm not sure what I would suggest in the GC. White Rabbit is actually the first thing that comes to mind, because it's likewise strong on fabric, tea, and cream notes. But I wouldn't say it's a dupe so much as "you'd probably like both of these" similarity.

If I were going to start layering things from the GC to re-create Tattered Lace, I'd probably try out various combinations of White Rabbit or Famine, Black Opal, possibly Penitence or Dirty (if you need to add a splash of frankincense or linens)...

I'm sure there are some other good candidates for layering, but that's all I can think of right now. (I think I have all of those blends at home -- I want to go test. :laugh:)

I'm not sure what I would suggest in the GC. White Rabbit is actually the first thing that comes to mind, because it's likewise strong on fabric, tea, and cream notes. But I wouldn't say it's a dupe so much as "you'd probably like both of these" similarity.

Wow, I don't find Tattered Lace to be similar to White Rabbit in the least. Tattered Lace smells lovely to my nose, while White Rabbit almost makes me gag. It always amazes me how differently we all interpret the same scent! My boyfriend smells something different than I do in every single blend I've gotten him to sniff... boggles my mind every time.

Does anyone else find similarities between these two?

Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream: An irrelevant, disturbing, and surreal scent: red currant, green tea, red musk, Hawaiian ginger, benzoin, vanilla, coriander, squash blossom, and blueberry.

White Rabbit: Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

They have tea (though different kinds), ginger (though different kinds), and vanilla in common, but that's it. Yet, I just tried Crawdad Dream for the first time, and I was shocked at how much it smelled like White Rabbit after putting it on, especially since White Rabbit is one of my least favorite blends. I always thought it was the milk and pepper that went bad on me in White Rabbit, but I'm smelling the same icky thing in Crawdad Dream. Just with more fruit. The longer it's on my skin, the less similar it smells to White Rabbit, so maybe it was just a weird phase, but still. WEIRD. Am I crazy?

crawdad and white rabbit are nothing alike on my skin but it may just be my chemistry. white rabbit went weird spoiled milk on me, and crawdad smelled like blueberries and bug spray.

I can't fathom why, considering they don't have even a single note in common, but The Arabian Dance smells so much like the Antikythera Mechanism to me.

A friend of mine has fallen in love with shadows of What may Be, and i can't quite bear to part with it. is there a GC with that vaguely aquatic dirt note and no florals? Listed notes are A deserted, dismal grave: upturned earth, overgrown grass, and dead weeds.

Edited by Gwydion

A friend of mine has fallen in love with shadows of What may Be, and i can't quite bear to part with it. is there a GC with that vaguely aquatic dirt note and no florals? Listed notes are A deserted, dismal grave: upturned earth, overgrown grass, and dead weeds.

You could try Hurricane. It isn't a match to Shadows of What May Be (I find it to be sweeter and lacking the grassy edge of Shadows of What May Be), but it is an earthy-aquatic. I can't think of much else in the GC with dominant earth and water notes...

Although they are not exactly alike, I find that Glowing Vulva, Love's Philosophy, and Hod v2 all share a common creamy note. The carnation in Hod v2 throws it off enough to still be unique, but for me, when I run out of my Glowing Vulva bath oil, Hod v2 will fill that void for me.

Edited by Incendiare

Soooo..... Cabaret.Goth is the first BPAL perfume my boyfriend has ever liked. EVER. Are they any scents that are somewhat similar? Not just looking for GC recs here.... looking for ANYTHING (LE, event exclusive, discontinued, etc)