Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I too get the lovely leather dry-down from TDNBR, which is why I bought 2 bottles of it. It's a lovely change from my regular leather favorites.

I just put on The Phoenix in Winter. Is it just me, or does it smell exactly like Kumari Kandam? Completely different notes list, but they are both identical aquatic-incense to my nose!

This is so odd. Celeste, Love's Philosophy, and my fresh imp of Morocco all smell extremely similar on me... Morocco is literally a less sweet and orchid-esque Celeste and a softer less sour Love's Philosophy.. This happen to anyone else? I'm completely baffled by it!

Are there any GCs that are especially similar to Manilus Hurled from the Rock (Frankincense, leather accord, sandalwood, Himalayan cedar, nutmeg, and violet leaf)? My husband has become quite enamoured of it (on himself), so he asked me this today ....

Can anyone suggest something that smells like "The Girl"? My husband has recently fallen in love with "The Girl" on me and would like to get me something similar for when I run out of "The Girl".

Clockwork Couture: Female has a similar feel - and it can still be ordered, I believe ;)

O_O I thought CC:F ran out ages and ages ago? ...i would trade my bottle of The Girl for CC:F anytime ;-; I want to try that one sooo badly! I'd guess CC:F is slightly similar to Faith, in that it's sugary and slightly floral... but Faith isn't a GC. Hmmmm are there any GC marshmallow-pinkcandy-floral scents?

High-strung daisies kind of fits the bill minus marshmallow...

Edited by Amoraexcena

When I was testing Black Lace, I thought it seemed familiar. I figured it out today. I tested Black Lace and The Lurid Library side by side and the drydown is almost identical. Black Lace is a hint of vanilla plus musk, and The Lurid Library is dust plus the exact same musk. I'm relieved. I don't have to track down a bottle of Black Lace, and wouldn't even buy one if I could because of the extreme similarity between these two scents. I love The Lurid Library. :wub2:

I don't claim to have the most sophisticated nose, but Sed Non Satiata smells A LOT like Glowing Vulva to me. I visited my friend in Florida and she and her house smelled like GV the whole weekend. Last night I tried Sed Non Satiata and it was super reminiscent of GV to me.

Are there any GCs that are especially similar to Manilus Hurled from the Rock (Frankincense, leather accord, sandalwood, Himalayan cedar, nutmeg, and violet leaf)? My husband has become quite enamoured of it (on himself), so he asked me this today ....

I really love Manilus, so I'm on a similar search. I'm in the process of trying out leather scents. I think this one is pretty unique from what I've smelled so far, but if he likes the leather aspect of it, I'd suggest Captain Cully from The Last Unicorn Line, although it does not have the resinous sweetness. For true GC, The Red Rider is another very realistic leather scent. It smells like an expensive leather coat to me.

Last time I wore Roses, Pearls, And Diamonds it reminded me very much of Red Rose and White Rose layered. Must be the red rose + coconut.

So, I'm kinda new here still, and I'm just barely getting my feet wet with all the possibilities for new scents.

The one singular scent that I absolutely fell in love with is Hypothermia from the 2009 Yule release. I have 1/2 an imp left and some lines on a couple extra decants, but I'm utterly despondent to even think about what might happen when my beloved scent is gone... or goes bad... I've been trying to distract myself with other new potential scents in the hopes of delaying the inevitable, but I know I'll come to the final drop someday and it breaks my heart.

So I'm hoping that someone here might have a suggestion or two for some similar scents that might satiate my nose. I was lucky enough to get a handful of snow scents from a generous enabler a while back, and I think The First Soft Snow (2009) was eerily similar, but it's also a limited and will likely be non-existent soon.

So in short, I love the snow-like scents, but I know I'm not a fan of strong minty smells- some have noted mint undertones in the Yule blends that I've never really picked up on (Maybe the mint has mellowed out in the last couple years? I'm not sure...). Are there snowy scents in the GC that are readily available?

Any help here from the more educated noses is greatly appropriated.

:heart: Cheers :heart:

Never fear -- there's the Swaps forum! :D You may be able to snag more decants/bottle of Hypothermia and other LE blends.

The best cold, wintry blend in the GC that I can think of is the Salon Cloister Graveyard in the Snow. It is very frosty and cold, and really evokes the Salon image. You may get snow in Kumari Kandam, although I found it more incense/aquatic. Sea of Glass also had an ozone-like note reminiscent of slushy snow, but this may be a long stretch.

I can't think of any other GCs that are snowy, so here are some LEs that I found similar to Hypothermia: Snow White of any vintage (a Yule blend that appears every year, not too hard to find on Swaps I presume), Cold Moon (Lunacy 2010), and Ded Moroz (another Yule).

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet - The Antikythera Mechanism and Interfector are very close siblings. Maybe even fraternal twins. The second I sniffed Interfector yesterday, my brain screamed THEANTIKYTHERAMECHANISM! Both have tobacco and woods (teak and oak in Antikythera, "sharp woods" in Interfector), and both have a mild sweetness (black vanilla in Antikythera, bunn in Interfector). It was mainly the tobacco note that did it, though.

I broke it out to do a comparison, and Antikythera has more of an herbal bite to it in the imp, while Interfector is softer and sweeter. The differences did grow on the drydown, though. On me, Antikythera becomes a warm, toasted, woodsy scent, while Interfector gets soft and kind of foody.

Still, I'd definitely recommend Antikythera as a substitute for Interfector. (For the record, I prefer Antikythera.)

Re snow:

Death of the Grave Digger, also from the salon: Snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh. I don't like mint or eucalyptus either. I can wear this so it should be safe for you.

Does anyone find Tombeur to have a Dorianesque throw? There is absolutely no reason it should, but I swear I'm smelling Dorian wafting around every time a breeze comes in the window (and it would be one hell of a longshot for someone wearing Dorian to be standing outside my window). Am I crazy, or does anyone else get this too?

Are there any GC scents close to Cabaret.Goth? I have only my decant, and I don't know if I'm relieved or sad that the amber turned it all into powder for me! I'm already planning to get Zarita, the Doll Girl (with sugared cream and neroli) in my next order to give it a shot, but are there any truly GC scents that are similar, but without amber (and rose, rose hates me)?

Also looking for an equivalent for Steam.Goth. Not for my wearing, but I find that it is so cleanly sexy I want to have something like it XD

Lastly--I will need to test them side by side, but VILF and Liz are similar to me, with VILF being harsher, and Liz just being softer, more feminine. Granted, my VILF was a new bottle (from Bat's Day--I don't know if these are old stocks the lab had or if they made more) so it might need time to blend together better so it's less raucous. (Now I just need to find an aged Liz...sigh.)

Are there any GC scents close to Cabaret.Goth? I have only my decant, and I don't know if I'm relieved or sad that the amber turned it all into powder for me! I'm already planning to get Zarita, the Doll Girl (with sugared cream and neroli) in my next order to give it a shot, but are there any truly GC scents that are similar, but without amber (and rose, rose hates me)?

The closest I have is Khrysee, not exactly a GC though -- its a bit sharper than Cabaret, lacks the amber depth as well...

The closest I have is Khrysee, not exactly a GC though -- its a bit sharper than Cabaret, lacks the amber depth as well...

Thanks! I put it down to try it at some point. :) I hope the amber won't be too powdery!

Here's a shot in the dark - could anyone help me find something similar to Silence (white sandalwood, iris, blue musk, lotus root, moonflower, plum blossom, green tea, white mint and white peach)? I was heartbroken when I heard this was discontinued, because I had been wanting to try it for ages as it sounded positively gorgeous. Now it seems I won't have the chance, and even if I did get a tester, I always try to avoid discontinued or LE scents for the very reason that I don't want to have to worry about hunting them down. Any recommendations for something that has a similar feel?

This is some discussion of this in the Carnival Diabolique thread, but thought I should post here as well. Can anyone comment about similarities between WILF and Temple Viper? The notes for Temple Viper are: Snake Oil with sugar cane, frankincense, champaca, opoponax, labdanum, and hyssop.

WILF is: Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.

I love WILF, and on my skin it's primarily Snake Oil and champaca. I'm guessing that is due to the musks, vanilla, patchouli, and sandalwood notes that are likely components in Snake Oil. I really don't get the chocolate-peppermint-juniper notes at all.

I've yet to try Temple Viper, and have been wondering if there is enough similarity between the two that I have enough bottles of WILF to satisfy me, or do I spring for a bottle of Temple Viper too?

Some have posted that they get a similarity between WILF and Boomslang, and I've yet to try Boomslang as well. So... anyone want to chime in here?

This is some discussion of this in the Carnival Diabolique thread, but thought I should post here as well. Can anyone comment about similarities between WILF and Temple Viper? The notes for Temple Viper are: Snake Oil with sugar cane, frankincense, champaca, opoponax, labdanum, and hyssop.

WILF is: Warm fur coupled with red and black musk, vanilla bean, patchouli, champaca flower, juniper berry, chocolate peppermint, frangipani, browned sandalwood, ferntop ash resin, and massoia bark.

I love WILF, and on my skin it's primarily Snake Oil and champaca. I'm guessing that is due to the musks, vanilla, patchouli, and sandalwood notes that are likely components in Snake Oil. I really don't get the chocolate-peppermint-juniper notes at all.

I've yet to try Temple Viper, and have been wondering if there is enough similarity between the two that I have enough bottles of WILF to satisfy me, or do I spring for a bottle of Temple Viper too?

Some have posted that they get a similarity between WILF and Boomslang, and I've yet to try Boomslang as well. So... anyone want to chime in here?

The drydown of WILF smelled exactly like Snake Charmer to me. YMMV, of course, and mentioning it isn't super helpful since it's another (harder to find) LE, but if you know of anything that smells like Snake Charmer smells on you, maybe you could start there!

And if WILF is Snake Oil and champaca on you, then I think you would love Temple Viper, because that's what it was on me.

Am wearing Sugar Moon 2008 today and it is teh yum! The funny thing is, I have NO idea why I bought it, because the notes aren't in my usual repertoire ... which clearly means I need to branch out! Can anyone suggest some similar scents in the general catalog? Sugar Moon notes are: sugar cane, blue musk, mahogany, black orchid, black currant, violet, blackberry leaf, strawberry, and dusky rose.

The drydown of WILF smelled exactly like Snake Charmer to me. YMMV, of course, and mentioning it isn't super helpful since it's another (harder to find) LE, but if you know of anything that smells like Snake Charmer smells on you, maybe you could start there!

And if WILF is Snake Oil and champaca on you, then I think you would love Temple Viper, because that's what it was on me.

Thanks, Eoife! I do love Snake Charmer (and have a few backup bottles hoarded :blush: ) and didn't think of it as a related scent. I was going to order Temple Viper before the Carnival came down, but due to my car getting totalled by an asshole who is dodging my insurance company's calls and the resulting financial hassles, I had to decide to wait till the Carnival returns. Hopefully Temple Viper will stage a comeback and I will definitely try it then, especially after you said it is Snake Oil and champaca on you!

My discretionary BPAL funds are on hiatus anyway, until the insurance companies get everything sorted out on my car. :cry2:

Am wearing Sugar Moon 2008 today and it is teh yum! The funny thing is, I have NO idea why I bought it, because the notes aren't in my usual repertoire ... which clearly means I need to branch out! Can anyone suggest some similar scents in the general catalog? Sugar Moon notes are: sugar cane, blue musk, mahogany, black orchid, black currant, violet, blackberry leaf, strawberry, and dusky rose.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? :lol: