Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Double posting because this is a separate rec:

For those who are missing Corazon, I find Copper Phoenix almost identical. Perhaps it is a bit lighter, a bit less full and red, but given that they have quite different notes it's surprising that they're so similar.

]I just tested Cockaigne and thought it was more like Beaver Moon 05 than Underpants. Underpants is a very unique scent, and so far I haven't come across anything similar in the GC.

Aah well i already orderd a bottle of Cockaigne ^_^ , but beavermoon 05 is very yummy aswell.

Late 2 cents: I find Cockaigne to be quite buttery.

Anyone have thoughts on the very first 13 (Thirteen for anyone searching this thread ;) )? I wouldn't mind comparisons with more recent LE's that might be easier to find. I believe there were some white chocolate blends within the last couple of years?

ETA to avoid double posting: I can't find my Antique Lace to do a side-by-side right now, but Lyonesse is giving me a VERY similar feel after the white sandalwood fades (BPAL's white sandalwood is very smoky/ashy on me).

Edited by spark

]I just tested Cockaigne and thought it was more like Beaver Moon 05 than Underpants. Underpants is a very unique scent, and so far I haven't come across anything similar in the GC.

Aah well i already orderd a bottle of Cockaigne ^_^ , but beavermoon 05 is very yummy aswell.

Late 2 cents: I find Cockaigne to be quite buttery.

Your right i find it also buttery and even a far away cousin of Bread and Butterfly :(

Have that bottle to.. wasent really what i was hoping for....

Can anyone recommend a GC equivalent to The Tell-Tale Heart?

That's a tough one. Try Bloodlust, Dragon's Heart, or Tintagel. They're not exactly the same as TTH, but they have a similar feel.

Long shot, I know, but is there anything at all similiar to Lilith Victoria? I could probably mix Dorian and SO together, but there's that light floral to it. So, any single GC scents that give off the same light, powdery, comforting vibe?

Anyone have any recommendations for Quicksilver Phoenix, Halloween in San Francisco, and Infernal Lover?

Fortunately Quicksilver Phoenix at least can be found on eBay and the swaps section a lot, but I really like these scents and am totally abusing my collection. :)

To contribute, Hellhound on my Trail smelled a lot like Q5 over at TAL to me during drydown, at least according to my skin chemistry . Q5 is a lot more pungent and herbal... (at least initially) it's something like Hellhound rubbed into dry grass. After drydown though, I can barely tell the difference. I put a dab on each wrist just to check and see if I was remembering right and they are pretty much identical. :)

Edited by khazakant

Can anyone recommend a GC equivalent to The Tell-Tale Heart?

That's a tough one. Try Bloodlust, Dragon's Heart, or Tintagel. They're not exactly the same as TTH, but they have a similar feel.

Thank you.

Is there anything in the GC that would come equivalent or close to Ops?

I wish I could get a 5 ml of Ops, but alas, that is not meant to be.

Wondering the same thing. also wondering how I can browbeat the search engine into even letting me look to see if somebody has some they don't like, since it won't search for short words like Ops. :rantrave:

Are there any scents even close to Gothabilly in the GC line? I received a sniffy and it smells so good but I don't want to use it on my skin and have no more :blush: I love the strong cherry liqueur scent the most that comes out of the imp when I open it so that is the main scent I'm interested in, the vanilla not fussed so much. Are there any GCs close?

Edited by Emcats

Are there any scents even close to Gothabilly in the GC line? I received a sniffy and it smells so good but I don't want to use it on my skin and have no more :blush: I love the strong cherry liqueur scent the most that comes out of the imp when I open it so that is the main scent I'm interested in, the vanilla not fussed so much. Are there any GCs close?

I haven't tried Gothabilly, but for "cherry liqueur" you might like The Red Queen: "Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant." I find it smells like cough syrup right out of the bottle, but quickly fades to a really great raspberry squares type scent. It's one of my favorites.

Also, from this year's Yules you might like A Game Called Yes and No: "Mulled wine and marzipan." It reminded me quite a bit of cherry cordials. I'm actually planning on death matching it against Red Queen before I decide if I need a bottle.

Edited by Altaira

Just tried "A World of Fools" from this years Yules (Figgy pudding with a stake of holly through its heart) and it is very similar to "Snap-Dragon-Fly" (Plum pudding, holly, and brandy-soaked raisin with frumenty, mince pie, and a hint of suet) but sweeter and without the suet.

Long shot, I know, but is there anything at all similiar to Lilith Victoria? I could probably mix Dorian and SO together, but there's that light floral to it. So, any single GC scents that give off the same light, powdery, comforting vibe?

I'd do a layering of Dorian, SO and a touch of TKO.

The Girl (white amber, silver birch, immortelle, davana, pale musk, star jasmine, and ylang ylang) and Lyonesse (golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss) smell very similar on me.

I'd do a layering of Dorian, SO and a touch of TKO.

I was going to say the exact same thing! That's almost what it smells like on me. Not exactly the same, but Dark Del's Mysterious Warning is also very similar in feel.

I don't think any GC scent smells that much like Underpants. Lyonesse would definitely be closest IMO. To me, there is nothing (GC or LE) that is quite like The Girl. I find it to be rather unique.

Infernal Lover is very heavy on the red musk, so if you like that try The Grindhouse from CD or Scherezade. You may want to layer one of those with a honey-heavy scent to get a bit closer to TIL.

Gothabilly is another very unique scent, but if it's cherry you're looking for, I agree that you'll want to try The Red Queen. It has a wood note that Gothabilly doesn't, but it definitely is strong on cherry.

Infernal Lover is very heavy on the red musk, so if you like that try The Grindhouse from CD or Scherezade. You may want to layer one of those with a honey-heavy scent to get a bit closer to TIL.

Thank you!

I will finally place an order for Scherezade and I will try to layer it with O.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to The First of the Three Spirits? I am absolutely in love with this scent, and would love to find more scents in the same family.

vowsatseas: For The First of Three Spirits, try Xiuhecuhtli for sure, and also perhaps Antikythera Mechanism is in a similar family, though not as close as X and with a very different vibe. Also, you may want to read the review thread to see what others have thought.

====

I find that the drydown of Flora (now discontinued, alas) is very very similar to that of Bastet.

I thought I posted here, but I don't see it. :nervous:

So, I will try again! What are some potential replacements for the recently discontinued Niflheim? I recently tried an imp of it without realizing it had been disconned and am now in love with it and in search of something similar. I don't usually like florals, so I'm at a total loss to figure out what florals are in it.

You posted it in the discontinued GC thread.

And here's my answer: On me, Niflheim is like a more damp / green Gomorrah, so you might wish to try Gomorrah. You could also check the review thread for Niflheim& see if others compare it to other scents.

Edited by sqwook

I have fallen in :wub2: LOVE :wub2: with Valse Finale et Apotheose.....

Of COURSE it was an LE, I bought one bottle from BPAL and also one nearly full bottle on the Sale forum.

What is possibly similar to Valse in the GC scents? I'm almost scared to use it at all (because I get hooked on my scents and wear only one thing) and I don't ever, ever want to run out of this lovely.... It's seriously the most beautiful scent to my happy little nostrils.

I guess I should also say that I have tried a few other BPAL honey blends that have NOT worked for me.

Womb Furie and Haunted both smelled like straight up Johnson&Johnson baby powder on me. I was so sad! Jezebel was pretty and tangy, not as honey sweet and faded more quickly. I get some sweet honey from Osun but it goes a little powdery as well.

Valse was very fresh with the mint and apple blossom, but there is something about it that just goes very perfectly honey sweet on me and is simply perfection, where so far other honey blends aren't working on me.

So I need more Valse!!! Or something practically duplicating it, in a GC so it's not so rare and precious :P

Edited by cargoee