Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

For those who are missing Mantis (discontinued GC), Omen may make a passable dupe. Both are golden/patchouli with a layer of greenness; Omen is a bit darker and less herbally green than Mantis, but otherwise they are quite similar.

And these are both LEs, but those who like Parlement of Foules may want to try The Last Rose of Summer, and vice versa. I almost couldn't tell them apart in the imps, and they remain quite similar white rose-and-resins on my skin, although Last Rose is a tad more earthy and complex.

Edited for grammar!

Edited by Vega

I tried my imp of Daphne Honey, and for two days I just couldn't place what it reminded me of. Then, wearing it to bed last night, I figured it out!

Daphne Honey = Morpho (Ode to Aphrodite 2009)

I have such trouble with the jasmine based scents - Morpho is my one true jasmine love. Most of the time I get the awful 'cat pee' stench that jasmine haters talk about, but Morpho is glorious. Wearing them on separate wrists at the same time, Morpho is refined and lady-like, and VERY strong, and Daphne is like her playful younger sister - candy-like and chalky, if that makes sense. Both blends have honey, and I'm certain that both use the same jasmine note. I'd love to ask Beth what kind of jasmine it is, and what other blends have it, because all the other jasmines that the lab uses simply do not work on me at all.

Morpho's notes: Jasmine, honey, labdanum, rosehip, ambrette seed, delphinium, and white ginger. There are no notes listed for Daphne Honey.

I know this is LE for LE, but if you long for Twisted Oak Tree and can't find it, look for a bottle of Oborot...they smell remarkably similar, and I think Oborot may be easier to find. Haven't found a comparable GC though.

Morocco is incredibly similar to Antique Lace. It's a bit woodier and lacks that light floral punch Antique Lace had but layering Morocco with the lightest touch of Nocturne would probably be a suitable dupe for Antique Lace.

Vasilissa and Mlle. Lilith are very similar on my skin. I think it's the pink musk popping. Both are light, girlish, slightly foody musky florals. Mlle is a little more dusky whereas the myrrh in Vasilissa is brighter than the incense in Mlle.

I find that Perle von Mauren is similar to Antique Lace on my skin. Perle is practically heliotrope single note on me, though, and heliotrope is a dry, sweet floral and vanilla powder scent on me.

The Witch's Repast smells a lot like Joulumuori on me too, on a random note.

Well, this is actually LE to Discontinued, but I thought it still would fit in this thread.

Rosy Maple is practically DEAD-ON for Jester. Which makes me ecstatic, since I never got around to ordering Jester, and then it was too late to get it!

I adore Tiki Princess - and I didn't get to grab enough before it came down - are there any similar GC scents - most particular I'm looking for the snowy/icy/frothy note that's present in Tiki Princess.

Lyonesse (GC) is very similar to Haloes (Retail Salon) -- both are woody vanilla/amber, but Lyonesse has a bit of a tangy, colder feel. Nothing beats Haloes for fluffy, cozy, golden vanilla, but Lyonesse comes very close!

I've just found that Rosy Maple (Metamorphosis LE) is very similar to Defututa (GC). Defututa is very sweet, like Rosy Maple, and they are very, very similar to my nose. Defututa is just a bit fuller or rounder than Rosy Maple which is a bit of a lighter, fluttery scent.

Rosy Maple notes: Lemon blossom, vanilla bean, huckleberry, sweet pea, rose sugar, acai berry, and candyfloss I don't get any lemon out of this, and not much berry - mostly vanilla, rose sugar, candyfloss, and vanilla.

Defututa notes: Olive blossom, honey, smoky vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, sandalwood, and champaca flower. This is an extremely sweet scent, but the sandalwood grounds it a bit and gives it a rounder scent. I don't get any cinnamon - no spicy scent out of this. The honey sweetens it a lot and the vanilla is delicious.

I have Gypsy (LE) on my arm and Miskatonic University (GC) on my hand, and, now that they have dried and settled a bit, they smell almost exactly the same. I have no idea why this is, since they don't have any notes in common, and I know the scents aren't overlapping since they're pretty far apart. Bizarre. :think:

ETA: I think something must have gone crazy that day..because I tried them again, a little over a month later, and not similar at all. Oh, skin chemistry! You go so wonky sometimes!

Edited by plainjean

Has anyone found a GC equivalent for Hod? I love the sweet golden scent of this.

Brisingamen is close =)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Has anyone found a GC equivalent for Hod? I love the sweet golden scent of this.

Brisingamen is close =)

It looks like that turned to cleaning solution on me when I reviewed an imp back in July. I might track down another imp (since I frimped it away) in case my chemistry has changed since I had my baby. Thanks!

Brisingamen is close =)

It looks like that turned to cleaning solution on me when I reviewed an imp back in July. I might track down another imp (since I frimped it away) in case my chemistry has changed since I had my baby. Thanks!

I personally think that Morocco and aged Hod are pretty similar.

I adore Tiki Princess - and I didn't get to grab enough before it came down - are there any similar GC scents - most particular I'm looking for the snowy/icy/frothy note that's present in Tiki Princess.

It's not GC, but Snow White and Tiki Princess are sisters separated at birth IMO. Same snowy coldness for sure. Less punch of coconut, but super similar. Snow White '08 had more coconut to my nose than some of the other vintages. Snow White '07 is my favorite, though (that I've tried). If you like Tiki Princess, you must try Snow White.

ETA: Also, FWIW, I don't think any other scent I've tried smells anything close to Antique Lace IMHO. I've always thought that the component issue must have been with whatever made AL the unique, magical creation it is.

Edited by VioletFemme

i find Alice to be quite similar, though not identical.

After about five minutes, Kubla Khan smells like a lighter throw version of Green Tree Viper on my skin. Perhaps it's the icy spices.

Detestable Putrescence dries down into something very similar to Snow White on me. They don't smell alike in the bottle or wet on my skin, but the dry down on DP is similar to both the bottle and dry down scent on Snow White.

I'm not a huge fan of Snow White (although I like it), so it's not super exciting for me, but I thought I'd put it out there. Not sure if it would be true for anyone else or if it's strictly my skin chemistry doing something odd.

Can anyone recommend something similar to Pink Phoenix? I'm giving up hope on finding more of it, and it's my absolute favourite. The other scents I've tried that were compared to it were so far nothing alike. The greatest thing about Pink Phoenix for me is that it has tremendous staying power (my skin tends to eat 9/10 perfumes really really REALLY fast) and great throw, as well as smelling wonderful.

Is there anyone who can help on this one?

If I remember Pink Phoenix correctly, the part that made for the staying power, reminds me of that aspect of Mme. Moriarty. They are kind of different, though. Have you tried Mme?

If I remember Pink Phoenix correctly, the part that made for the staying power, reminds me of that aspect of Mme. Moriarty. They are kind of different, though. Have you tried Mme?

I've not tried it, no - the musk put me off of it, as most musks tend to overpower everything else as soon as they come in contact with my skin. Is the scent at all similar, or just the staying power?

Can anyone recommend something similar to Pink Phoenix? I'm giving up hope on finding more of it, and it's my absolute favourite. The other scents I've tried that were compared to it were so far nothing alike. The greatest thing about Pink Phoenix for me is that it has tremendous staying power (my skin tends to eat 9/10 perfumes really really REALLY fast) and great throw, as well as smelling wonderful.

Is there anyone who can help on this one?

maybe pink plastic flamingo if you can find that one to test

Hi all!

So I just searched through a whole bunch of pages, as well as did a search for "velvets" and cannot find anything.

I have fallen in love with "The Velvets." However, it goes soft on me and then disappears in 20 min or less. :cry2:

I love the cool, incensey floralness of it!

Is there anything else available right now that is just like it?

Thank yooooos!

its very like Obsidian Widow on my skin -- I had already planned to test them together today -- Ill let you know!

Is there any GC like Creepy?

Agrat Bat Mahlaht. They are much different in the beginning, but the dry down is pretty similar =)