Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

A total chance discovery yesterday, thanks to RaeNarcissus posting something on LJ..

Slather some Panther Moon on first, then swipe a little Bordello over the top. Whaddaya get? Hellion!

True fact :thumbsup:

Any suggestions for a replacement for Brom Bones?

I second the recs for Bow and Crown of Conquest and Black Rider (though the opoponax & tobacco combo in Black Rider went crazy-sweet on me, I know a lot of people get a strong leather from it). I also would suggest The Red Rider. It's the GC leather blend that reminds me most of Brom Bones. I'm crazy about leather scents and that one is a strong, sexy, dark, masculine leather with a woodsy touch <3.

Try him on Bow & Crown of Conquest. The leather in it is so smoothly wonderful, and there's the lavender which isn't floral at all. He also might like Black Rider. At least with those 2 you can usually either find an imp for sale on the forum, or order it from the lab.

I second the recs for Bow and Crown of Conquest and Black Rider (though the opoponax & tobacco combo in Black Rider went crazy-sweet on me, I know a lot of people get a strong leather from it). I also would suggest The Red Rider. It's the GC leather blend that reminds me most of Brom Bones. I'm crazy about leather scents and that one is a strong, sexy, dark, masculine leather with a woodsy touch <3.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I was eyeing the Riders just after I asked. Bow & Crown was totally off my radar. I'll look into these!

If you loved Doc Buzzard I recommend trying a decant or sniffie of Helios. They're 2 different scents but I'm finding the same 'cola' quality in the resins in both. I have no idea what notes they might share if any, but Helios is sharper and woodier. Definitely worth a try if you miss the Doc!

Not to mention, Helios is shaping up to be my favorite scent of the year.....

I managed to get ahold of a decant of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, and have fallen completely in love with it--are there any GC scents that smell similar?
I've heard that Boomslang of the Snake pits is quite similar.
I would mix Boomslang with Antikythera Mechanism for the cocoa plus tobacco that is in Black Temple...also, Velvet Dogs Playing Poker plus Miskatonic University would be a good stab at it...

I just got Bread & Butterfly, and I have to say that I find the toast note in this really similar to the pastry note in Crumpet Rebellion.Crumpet is toasty, buttery pastry with black currant, and as it has aged it's clear there's some nutmeg & cardamom in there. So it has a dry, slightly spicy, dark edge to it.Bread & Butterfly definitely smells like buttered toast, with a white sugar cube. It's not as dark as Crumpet, but if you layer it with something that's black currant heavy, and I think you'll have a pretty similar scent.
I totally agree! It took three years and some begging to get a 1/2 decant of Crumpet Rebellion...and it smells pretty damn identical to Bread and Butterfly.I think the note (that sadly does not work for me at all) that is in common between the two, beyond the listed tea and pastry notes, is star anise or licorice or fennel or something of that nature.I amp the smell of Jager and whenever these notes are present, I can tell :cry2: Edited by Andrea912

*sigh* i join a Bat's Day sniffing circle and what happens? i find my one true BPAL in a bottle i'll most likely never be able to get ahold of. :cry: SO... any suggestions on an approximation of Gothabilly that doesn't involve another LE? i'd like to try that before i have to go on a hunt for Bloody Mary. also, my hubby adored Rivet.Goth. any suggestions for that one, either?

I loooooooove Twisted Oak Tree. I'm searching the sales and swaps, but in the mean time - and if I just can't find it - I'm looking for scents that might be similar. Does anyone have recommendations?

While I'm at it, if anyone has recommendations for a GC that might be similar to Gypsy Queen that would be super helpful too.

Thanks!

I love TOT too...it's one of my Top 10, AAMOF, and I don't think I've ever found its equivalent. I hope someone else can help us both, LOL!

Hey stellans!

It might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I just got a frimp of The Black Tower today and it's the closest thing in the GC I've found to Twisted Oak tree. I believe it's the same prominent english ivy note with similar-ish dark/woodsy companion notes.

I'm curious if anyone else smells a similarity here or if it's just me :blush:

I loooooooove Twisted Oak Tree. I'm searching the sales and swaps, but in the mean time - and if I just can't find it - I'm looking for scents that might be similar. Does anyone have recommendations?

While I'm at it, if anyone has recommendations for a GC that might be similar to Gypsy Queen that would be super helpful too.

Thanks!

I love TOT too...it's one of my Top 10, AAMOF, and I don't think I've ever found its equivalent. I hope someone else can help us both, LOL!

Hey stellans!

It might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part, but I just got a frimp of The Black Tower today and it's the closest thing in the GC I've found to Twisted Oak tree. I believe it's the same prominent english ivy note with similar-ish dark/woodsy companion notes.

unfortunately for me, the red wine note in Black Tower amps to such a pitch it messes up the whole blend for me. :cry:

Thanks!

Hey stellans!

unfortunately for me, the red wine note in Black Tower amps to such a pitch it messes up the whole blend for me. :cry:

Awwwww :cry2:

I so hoped that it would be a workable solution for both of us. Too bad there isn't a way to extract the wine for you. Ah well, there's always this years halloweenies to look forward to - maybe something similar will turn up.

I was able to get to DarkDel a few days ago. One of the scent I tried was Fairy Market. This smelled so damn familiar to me, and it took me an hour to think of that it reminded me of.

Answer-

Fairy Market smelled a whole lot like Midwinter's Eve on me

A tad subtler, but Midwinter's Eve, nonetheless!

Thanks!

Hey stellans!

I have the same problem.

I've discovered that fresh Tombstone, on me, smells a lot like Le Pere Fouettard.

However.. my old 10ml bottle of Tombstone, which is.. uhm.. about 5 years old now, is very different to the Lab-fresh imp that I just got and the similarity to Le Pere isn't quite the same.

I've discovered that fresh Tombstone, on me, smells a lot like Le Pere Fouettard.

However.. my old 10ml bottle of Tombstone, which is.. uhm.. about 5 years old now, is very different to the Lab-fresh imp that I just got and the similarity to Le Pere isn't quite the same.

Alas, that doesn't work for me.

Alas, that doesn't work for me.

Oh.. bummer! I was really surprised by how similar they were on my skin. Le Pere had the edge over Tombstone, it was just overall more 'deep' in the intensity of the notes, but Tombstone was doing an admirable job of being its dupe. Sorry it didn't work for you :(

nope, doesn't work for me either.

i have three tombstone frimps of varying age (one with my last order) from the lab but none of them even smelled close to the glory of la pere fouettard. :(

According to my spreadsheet notes, there are about 4 other blends which call Twisted Oak Tree to mind; unfortunately, they're LEs too (well, Erik is still available at Dark Delicacies, I think):

Crow Moon

Erik

Meditation in Autumn

Oborot: Therianthropic

According to my spreadsheet notes, there are about 4 other blends which call Twisted Oak Tree to mind; unfortunately, they're LEs too (well, Erik is still available at Dark Delicacies, I think):

Crow Moon

Erik

Meditation in Autumn

Oborot: Therianthropic

I'm so glad you mentioned this - I've been looking for an excuse to try Erik & I'll put the others on my list :)

I don't care for wood or green scents at all, and that makes it hard for me to analyze them, I just go "Yuck!" and run away. I just gave my decant of Toad Hall to a friend who I'm working on enabling, and she loves it. I was hoping people who are into those types of scents could make suggestions of other things she might like. Odin is mentioned in the LE comparison thread but any other ideas would be appreciated as well! GC or less-rare LE are both fine. :D

I'd recommend Mary Read, Port Royal, and Jolly Roger for similar wood-and-aquatic type scents. Toad Hall is like salty aquatic and dark, dry, slightly smoky wood on my skin.

I'd be curious if you're able to find anything else remotely similar... I'm really enjoying Toad Hall myself and haven't stumbled across anything else with the same green/wood/aquatic feel.

But Aziraphale had some vaguely similar wood and musk on me, although without anything aquatic. And Sturgeon Moon has some similar fresh aquatic/green (I didn't get "salt water" from Toad Hall at all).

I've been meaning to try Fit of Artistic Enthusiasm for a salty aquatic/green/wood blend, but haven't yet. Sounds sorta promising, though!

Not precise, but Marquis de Carabas smells similar to Fledgling Raptor Moon. Definitely has the same spiciness.

It might just be my nose and skin chemistry, and I wouldn't say that this is an exact equivalent (more like second cousins), but I find a similarity between Okayaki and Theodosius, the Legerdemain. With Okayaki, I get vanilla with touches of bergamot and cardamom. With Theodosius, I get the vanilla and bergamot vibe but with the addition of tea and musk. I would also say that Theodosius smells very similar after about three hours of wear, but your mileage may vary.

i attempted a search but am duncelike and did not locate this tho I feel certain that it has already been tabled so feel free to direct me if need be. Otherwise, has anyone got any recommendations to replace Lucy, Kissed. I am curious and flexible so similarities and comparisions are welcome!