Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Golden Priapus is very warm, sweet vanilla on me as soon as the juniper dries down. It's nothing like Skadi to my nose or on my skin. My skin really amps vanilla and sweetness, though.

I just wore Chimera today after not having tried it for quite a while. I reminds me a lot of the drydown of Sugar Cookie. Sugar Cookie is a lot stronger and nutmeggy at first, though.

Chupa, are we sharing a brain now? I noticed the same thing about Chimera and Sugar Cookie just about 10 days ago, while Jeff was in the hospital. I forgot about it until you posted though.

Shelldoo.... how can you NOT STAND KALI?! I have half a mind to come over to your house and hold you down and tickle you until you say you LOVE IT!! Only the fear of being attacked by an iguana or maybe even a whole army of small animals, and children, is keeping me away. :P

Kali is probably my favorite of all the regular catalog BPAL scents - can you tell? And I love DDLM too, but I haven't worn it very often. I will have to do a comparison of the two and see if my nose picks up any similarities.

Chupa, are we sharing a brain now? I noticed the same thing about Chimera and Sugar Cookie just about 10 days ago, while Jeff was in the hospital. I forgot about it until you posted though.

Shelldoo.... how can you NOT STAND KALI?! I have half a mind to come over to your house and hold you down and tickle you until you say you LOVE IT!! Only the fear of being attacked by an iguana or maybe even a whole army of small animals, and children, is keeping me away.  :P

Kali is probably my favorite of all the regular catalog BPAL scents -  can you tell? And I love DDLM too, but I haven't worn it very often. I will have to do a comparison of the two and see if my nose picks up any similarities.

:D i bet it smells lovely on you. I didn't get any chocolate, no sweet, it was a very weird smell for me, maybe I will get another imp and try it again (I swapped the other :D ) maybe it was an off week, and you don't have to worry about the animals they are all tame, the kids tho, they are savidges :D

I wore Undertow today, and after the drydown mid day I could swair it was Blue Moon!!!!!

The lotus really shows up on me I guess. Mmm nice.

At first the two are totally differnt, Undertow has far more of a minty scent (differnt and totally un like frost moon) but a couple hours later it's certianly comprable to Blue Moon on me! YAY!

Hiya folks!

I xposted this on the LJ community.... But my question is, what scents smell similar to "Frost Moon"?

many thanks

-Miriam

Hiya folks!

I xposted this on the LJ community.... But my question is, what scents smell similar to "Frost Moon"?

many thanks

-Miriam

Hi anshara - you may want to check out this thread:

LE similarities

It has some good Limited Edition similarity information!

A quick question here, I'm interested in trying Sugar cookie, but the reviews seem to say that it's very very spicy and strong.

For any people who have tried both, is it simiar in strength to Gingerbread poppet? It might be the cinammon in it, but gingerbead poppet really makes me feel ill. Even if I just open the bottle, the strength of it makes me a bit....nauseous.

I find this really upsetting, as Im so after a wonderful biscuity smell. Another factor with GingerbredP was the fact that as it dried down, it turned into pure spice, with very little ginger, which made me feel even worse!!!

Even if they dont smell the same, can anyone give me a sort of guide as to the similarity in spicyness/strength of this to sugarcookie please?

A quick question here, I'm interested in trying Sugar cookie, but the reviews seem to say that it's very very spicy and strong.

For any people who have tried both, is it simiar in strength to Gingerbread poppet?

On me, Gingerbread Poppet is much spicier than Sugar Cookie. This may be a function of my skin chemistry, but I only get the baked goods smell during the wet stages. Once it dries down, it turns to cinnamon red-hots, which makes me very sad. I thought SC was more "cookie" in that way. YMMV, of course.

On me, Gingerbread Poppet is much spicier than Sugar Cookie.  This may be a function of my skin chemistry, but I only get the baked goods smell during the wet stages.  Once it dries down, it turns to cinnamon red-hots, which makes me very sad.  I thought SC was more "cookie" in that way.  YMMV, of course.

Sadly -- in terms of being helpful! -- Sugar Cookie is much spicier than GP on me! Sugar Cookie reminds me strongly of Villianess's Gingersnapped soap, while GP is kind of "wussy."

Your best bet may be to get an imp and decide for yourself. :P

Hmmm...I *love* Samhain, and although I'm not in imminant danger of running out, I'd love to know of any similar scents that I can try. Jack sounds like it would be good for a Samhain fan, though I've never tried it...

This is my point of smell, but Jack is NOTHING like Samhain.  Nothing at all.

But they both have pumpkin bits, right? =) I meant more like, since I like Samhain, I'll like ____. I don't want a substitute for Samhain, but other scents that would appeal in a similar way ^^;;;

Although, not having smelled Jack...I'm just going by description X);;

To me it's nothing like it.  I did not care for Samhain, but I think Jack is really lovely.  So no, you may not like it.

Ahhh...oh well =( Well, if anyone could suggest anything a samhain fan would like, I'm all ears! :P

I have to agree with Andra. Jack and Samhain couldn't be more different.

I haven't found anything quite like Samhain just yet, but then I don't really love Samhain very much (in spite of the fact that I should since it's all things I adore), so maybe that's why...I haven't really tried, but I have tried almost 300 BPAL scents and none of them have come close to Samhain for me, so it's still a pretty valid point. At least in my opinion. :P

To me it's nothing like it.  I did not care for Samhain, but I think Jack is really lovely.  So no, you may not like it.

And I was the other way around. Love Samhain, but Jack is wretched on me.

To me, Villain is a much nicer version of King of Diamonds. KOD resembled something vaguely shampoo-like, although it did have a nice musky base. Villain is similar, but much warmer and I prefer it :P

I haven't heard of Mabon until recently, & then I read the description. I'm getting a decant in the mail, so I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like something I would love. It also looks like a hard-to-find fragrance. Does anyone have an idea what's it similar to?

I just tested out Lampades today and was struck with how much it reminds me of Hunter Moon. Not as rich, fruit-wise, and lacking in the "animalistic" undertones. But it develops the same smoky sweetness on my skin. There's more of an incense-y headiness to Lampades and I find that it fades much more quickly than Hunter Moon. But since I can buy unlimited bottles of it (at least for the moment barring any crazy discontinuations), I have the luxury of liberally reapplying if necessary. :P

The Dublin/Skadi comparison is spot on. Dublin is a bit deeper and a bit longer lasting, but if you love Skadi or want to try it and can't get your hands on it, order up some Dublin. You won't be disappointed. I adore Skadi, but I'm feeling that I'd have a hard time choosing which I like best.

Frost Moon reminds me of Blue Moon + mint. :D

Yep. And Cathode + Lunar Oils = Frost Moon :P

I think Cathode is VERY close to Frost Moon.

So then, Ultraviolet - Violet + Lunar Oils = Frost Moon :D

sorry :D

Edited by SyringaVulgaris

Gluttony and Sugar Skull couldn't be more different to me. Gluttony was like rancid butter on me and really made me nauseous. Sugar Skull smells exactly like maple syrup! :P

I agree about Snow White and Dana O'Shee, though SW turned a bit plastic and artificial on me. Love Dana O'Shee though and the initial impression of both is very similar.

Gluttony and Sugar Skull couldn't be more different to me. Gluttony was like rancid butter on me and really made me nauseous. Sugar Skull smells exactly like maple syrup!  :D

I concur. :P

Gluttony was a disaster for me. It made me horribly nauseous the second I opened the imp and I could smell it from across the room even with the cap on. :D

Sugar Skull on the other hand was lovely. Tooth-rottingly sweet, mind you, but lovely. To me it smelled exactly like the rum rolls my mom makes...rum flavoring, brown sugar and butter for the topping = Sugar Skull doppelganger. :D