Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

What scents are similar to Hod?

On me, Hod is a creamy spicy carnation. I've read that Morocco is similar. Could someone give me a scent comparison between Morocco and Hod please? (And any other scents that might be like Hod. :D )

Candle Moon turns into this gorgeous soft, slightly cold blackberry muskiness on me. :wub2: Does anyone know of a similar scent?

Off the top of my head, I would say Lady Una. Candle Moon is a milky blackberry and Lady Una is a musky blackberry, but it's definitely the same blackberry note to my nose.

On me, Hod is a creamy spicy carnation. I've read that Morocco is similar. Could someone give me a scent comparison between Morocco and Hod please? (And any other scents that might be like Hod. :D )

You know, now that you mention it, they are pretty similar. Morocco is a little thicker, sweeter, creamier, and Hod's slightly more peppery-spicy and it's got a honey thing that Morocco lacks, but from what I've smelled of both they are quite similar.

Another similar oil (to me) would be Alice. She has a fresh bergamot note that may amp on you and hide the similarity, but the carnation and creamy notes are almost dead-on to me.

I can kinda see the similarities between Hod and Morocco, but they're pretty different on me. They both seem to have an exotic spiciness to them, but Hod is stronger, sweeter, and much more carnation-y on my skin. I get a lot of the warm musk and hints of spice from Morocco, and it goes slightly baby powdery. I can't really pick out the carnation in it either.

I'm not sure if anything smells quite like Hod does to me (sadly, because I love Hod <3).

I just got Bread & Butterfly, and I have to say that I find the toast note in this really similar to the pastry note in Crumpet Rebellion.

Crumpet is toasty, buttery pastry with black currant, and as it has aged it's clear there's some nutmeg & cardamom in there. So it has a dry, slightly spicy, dark edge to it.

Bread & Butterfly definitely smells like buttered toast, with a white sugar cube. It's not as dark as Crumpet, but if you layer it with something that's black currant heavy, and I think you'll have a pretty similar scent.

Which blends are closest to Velvet Unicorn?

I get a tropical, almost pina colada-esque coconut-cherry-citrus sugar cloud scent from it.

I managed to get ahold of a decant of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, and have fallen completely in love with it--are there any GC scents that smell similar?

Anyone know scents similar to Falling Leaf Moon? I've worn it for three days straight and I expect I will continue to wear it often once the honeymoon phase is over.

Samhain is similar....that's why I ended up getting falling Leaf Moon, actually, because I adore Samhain, but suddenly, it wouldn't work on me--some odd change in body chemistry--but I can wear falling leaf moon and get the same vibe (though FLM lacks the cider note in Samhain).

I don't think anything really smells like Hod, myself. Alice is in the same family, but much creamier. Morocco didn't smell the same to me, but it's been so long, I might have to get a Morocco imp and compare again.

Now Burluesque Troupe....hmm...there was something that was in the same family--similar enough that I decided I didn't need the other, because I had BTBT, but what was it :think: I'm pretty sure it was Countess Willy. Not the same, but they both had a kind of chocolately, boozy, and sweet too. Might see if you can find a decant and try it out.

I managed to get ahold of a decant of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, and have fallen completely in love with it--are there any GC scents that smell similar?
I find that the Illustrated Woman gives me a similar feel as Black Temple Burlesque Troupe. Of course that's really subjective.

I've heard that Boomslang of the Snake pits is quite similar.

ooh, thank you all for those suggestions--I'll have to start keeping an eye out for some of those to try :)

I believe Dance of Death has the same strong black musk as Black Temple Burlesque Troupe. Just need to add a bit of cocoa from another scent...

The combination of Dorian and White Rider is VERY similar to Clockwork Couture: Female. The Dorian combo I made is is sweeter (which suits me fine), but you could use more of the White Rider and perhaps get even closer.

Searched the thread and no dice D: Anyone know if there's a good GC equivalent to Harvest Moon 08? I've become infatuated with it. I know it's not that expensive but if I can get my hands on GC imps that'll tide me over until... oh, January or so, which will be the next time I can afford a bottle.

Banshee Beat is amazing :wub2: but it seems to be impossible to find.I don't think there are any similar BPAL scents but I may be wrong, has anyone any ideas of how to make up anything similar by combining other oils? I'll give all ideas a try.

Anyone have a rec for a Giant Squid replacement? My mom loves apple smells and well, Giant Squid is kind of spot on.

I was given a bottle of St. Foutin as a gift and at first didn't think it was for me at all - but after it settled down for a couple of weeks and I tried it again, I'm in love. :wub2: Serious love! This is the real thing!

My bottle's full but I'm already having horrible nightmares about the day it's dry. Is there anything in the GC that might be close?

I'm not sure if this one is in here... but does anyone know what a good equivalent for Agape is??? :(. I'm fearing for that perfect autumn day when i won't have my perfect autum scent to go along with.... ir even anything a little leafier is good-- though the vanilla creaminess is what i NEED...

I'm not sure if this one is in here... but does anyone know what a good equivalent for Agape is??? :(. I'm fearing for that perfect autumn day when i won't have my perfect autum scent to go along with.... ir even anything a little leafier is good-- though the vanilla creaminess is what i NEED...

high strung daisies reminds me of agapē.

Seconding the above (a few posts) poster. I've just tried them side by side and Boomslang is SIMILAR.

Boomslang = more aromatic, like PUNGENT.

Burlesque = more chocolaty.

Bear in mind this is fresh oil in comparison to near 3-year-aged Boomslang.

Thanks, Gwydion. I thought I had read somewhere on the forum that Snake Oil and Black Lace are similar. Perhaps I misread. Thanks for setting me straight. :D

Are Black Lace and Snake Oil similar?

not at all, really.

Black Lace is more similar to Dorian. The mix of Snake Oil and Dorian in Lilith Victoria was similar to Black Lace but lacked that dry quality that came from the linen and tobacco notes. Layering Dorian with a dry, tobacco heavy blend from the GC such as Elegba, Hellfire, Santo Domingo or the Lady on the Grey might produce a similar feeling to Black Lace. Depending on how leather behaves on your skin/how you feel about leather, the Buggre Alle This Bible might also be a suitable layering option.

I searched the thread and didn't find this; I asked on the Sin and Salvation LJ forum and no-one had a suggestion, so I'm humbly pleading with the readers of this thread:

Is there such a thing as a GC equivalent to Dreamland? This was part of the Poe-inspired A Demon in my View collection way back in '05, and I have about 1/3 of a bottle left. It's one of my favorite summer scents because it's so cool and sweet. Here are the ingredients:

osmanthus and tuberose over pulsating, heated skin musk, spiked carnation, night phlox and vesper iris. I think it's the skin musk that keeps it from going all dish-soap on me. I really hope it's not sui generis.

Chrystanza, I will have to pull out my Dreamland and give it a whirl again, see if I come up with anything. It's such a beautiful scent. I wish there were more tuberose BPAL blends!

I was able to buy a bottle of Egg Moon at GA Will Call last night and realized that it reminds me a bit of Bakeneko - the resins and spices are what are doing it, I think. Bakeneko leans toward "clean" with the brighter tea and citrus notes, where I find that Egg Moon is creamier. (I was also amazed and relieved that I didn't get even a hint of redness from the cassia-cinnamon punch in Egg Moon, since I am famous for being pale and sensitive and welty.)