Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Disclaimer: Although I do remember a floral undertone to Candy Butcher, it didn't smell anything like Snow White to me. So I'm basing this purely on Snow White.

I can't remember if this came directly from Beth, but I believe Snow-Flakes has the same lily musk as Snow White.

I *think* someone reported back from Convergence...maybe?...back in 2007 that Beth told them Snow White would be back that year but Snow-Flakes would not because she couldn't source enough of the components for that musk to release both blends that year. I remember this because I was in the minority that preferred Snow-Flakes and was so disappointed. We got lucky this year!

Anyway, most of us have found S-F to smell like SW plus a gentle mint, so if you're okay with mint, you can get your hands on some S-F right now and see if you like it.

And if for any reason you can't get Snow-Flakes, I find The Macabray to be extremely similar, and I've seen others

mention Cloister Graveyard In The Snow being similar, too.

(By the way, while there may be batch variations from year to year, I've never heard about any actual note variations in Snow White.)

<snip>most of us have found S-F to smell like SW plus a gentle mint, so if you're okay with mint, you can get your hands on some S-F right now and see if you like it.

I just happened to get a decant of Snow-Flakes today and you're right.. it *is* very similar but for me the mint is quite prominent and is actually getting stronger the longer it stays on my skin.

(By the way, while there may be batch variations from year to year, I've never heard about any actual note variations in Snow White.)

I was querying this in another thread, because I just LOVE my Snow White '05, but figured it wouldn't be easy to find more of that same year so I wanted to know what people thought about subsequent releases. Responses were varied, but most people did say that some years ('07 in particular, I think it was? apparently has a really strong coconut thing going on), and were completely different to previous releases. So I think the jury's out on that one but it does seem that they are indeed varied from year to year.. but I'm inclined to agree with you that it's batch rather than notes, because I think that if the notes changed then that makes it a different thing.. kinda like how we've had different Milk Moons and Blue Moons through the years.

But back on topic.. I'm going to try layering Bliss over Snow White and see what happens!

Thanks for the scholarly replies! I will definitely try Snow Flakes and Macabray. I have been wanting to try Bliss for some time anyway, so we'll see how it layers with SW.

Oh, and Sunshinedaisybliss, thank you for enabling me! :wub3:

This may just be me, but Nostrum Remedium reminds me of Velvet Cthulhu - the fresh, savoury green tea.

I was querying this in another thread, because I just LOVE my Snow White '05, but figured it wouldn't be easy to find more of that same year so I wanted to know what people thought about subsequent releases. Responses were varied, but most people did say that some years ('07 in particular, I think it was? apparently has a really strong coconut thing going on), and were completely different to previous releases. So I think the jury's out on that one but it does seem that they are indeed varied from year to year.. but I'm inclined to agree with you that it's batch rather than notes, because I think that if the notes changed then that makes it a different thing.. kinda like how we've had different Milk Moons and Blue Moons through the years.
Oh wow, I'm glad you said this. I initially tried a sniffie decant of SW 07 and I really liked it. It seemed like the notes never changed, so when I tracked down a bottle and it was 05, I snapped it up. But I don't like it as much. I was thinking I just perhaps don't like it aged, but I loooove coconut, so that may be why the 07 decant appealed to me so. :)

Ok, sorry to contribute to the derail.

Popping in to say that The Girl smells like a cousin to the Antikythera Mechanism, or even Inez, on my skin. It's sweeter and more vanillic, but they're definitely related. The vanilla in The Girl also smells a bit like Dorian to me, so maybe layering the two would produce a good likeness?

Now give this a chance before you call me crazy, but I tested Ether today and found it similar to The Girl. I thought, no way! So I reapplied much much later in the evening, and gave it a side by side test. Ether has to have a chance to settle into your skin to lose that initial edge, but after it dries, it has a very similar pale amber vibe. Its a bit colder maybe, or a bit cleaner, not as sweet to my nose. Granted, I prefer The Girl, of the two -- but I still thought you should all know :D

Ether - Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana

The Girl - white amber, silver birch, immortelle, davana, pale musk, star jasmine, and ylang ylang

Latest update on seeking a replacement for Lovers in a Ricefield:

I've now tried or re-tried the following plum blends: Bathsheba, Bordello, Dionysia, Frumious Bandersnatch, Kitsune-Tsuki, Makhanitis, Oya, and Prunella. I also tried Alice's Evidence and Joulumuori, hoping the spiced prunes might be plummy (alas, they were not). Out of all of these, Bordello was by far the closest to the plum note I get from Lovers, but it lacks nutmeg and creaminess. Prunella and Kitsune-Tsuki are tied for second place in the plum race, and Prunella is probably closest to the overall feel of Lovers for me. The rest were either not very plummy, too spicy, or too-something-else for me.

Attempting to layer these scents with vanilla-based blends proved disastrous on my skin. I amp the hell out of vanilla, and Lyonesse and Mouse's Long and Sad Tale both completely overwhelmed the delicate plum note.

The final phase of this experiment will involve attempts at layering Bordello, Prunella, and Kitsune-Tsuki with Shadwell, Dana O'Shee, and Black Pearl. I will report back for the rest of you Lovers lovers!

Now if only I could find a good nutmeg scent...

Phew! I admire your rigorous testing Apple! It's interesting that you found Bordello and Prunella to be closest - both of those go very off on my skin, where Lovers does not. Amazing how different skin chemistry is! :lol:

Did you ever try Castitas for the vanilla part? I keep asking only because it has rice flower, cream AND vanilla in it, and that makes me feel like it might be pretty close (though I've never tried it m'self). Other than that I'm not sure what else might work... The Girl is probably too musky (and I bet won't be much easier to find than Lovers in six months), Detestable Putrescence is probably TOO vanilla-y... maybe Sachs? I'll have to sniff my decant.

Now give this a chance before you call me crazy, but I tested Ether today and found it similar to The Girl. I thought, no way! So I reapplied much much later in the evening, and gave it a side by side test. Ether has to have a chance to settle into your skin to lose that initial edge, but after it dries, it has a very similar pale amber vibe. Its a bit colder maybe, or a bit cleaner, not as sweet to my nose. Granted, I prefer The Girl, of the two -- but I still thought you should all know :D

Ether - Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana

The Girl - white amber, silver birch, immortelle, davana, pale musk, star jasmine, and ylang ylang

You've sold me on Ether. I never had any interest in The Girl (Jasmine, Ylang ylang, birch....just no), but Ether sounds like a good match for me and I know exactly who's selling a bottle right now... :twisted:

Now for my rec. Not that there's a shortage of either Yvaine or White Phoenix, but the two are very close scents. Both being mostly magnolia and cool scents. Consider White Phoenix to be a colourless version of Yvaine.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Crow Moon and Darkling Thrush are somewhat similar (I think someone has mentioned this before?? because the amber seems to be the only thing msising). On dry down, they are more smiilar, wet the Crow Moon is... thinner or colder maybe

Does anyone have recs for a GC equivalent of Tarot:The Heirophant? I haven't come across anything else with that sort of resin-marshmallow note.

Snowball Fracas is incredibly similar to Death Of The Grave Digger in the beginning, and as it dries, more of the moss comes out. I think I like Grave Digger a little better, because I like the myrrh.

Iron Phoenix reminds me a bit of Bloodlust, except...well, more metallic, obviously! : ) And not as gritty as Bloodlust. Iron Phoenix is more sleek, but still has a bite from the pepper and other spices.

Phew! I admire your rigorous testing Apple! It's interesting that you found Bordello and Prunella to be closest - both of those go very off on my skin, where Lovers does not. Amazing how different skin chemistry is! :lol:

:blush: I just really, really dig Lovers in a Ricefield and refuse to give up hope that there's a way to concoct something similar through layering.

Did you ever try Castitas for the vanilla part? I keep asking only because it has rice flower, cream AND vanilla in it, and that makes me feel like it might be pretty close (though I've never tried it m'self). Other than that I'm not sure what else might work... The Girl is probably too musky (and I bet won't be much easier to find than Lovers in six months), Detestable Putrescence is probably TOO vanilla-y... maybe Sachs? I'll have to sniff my decant.

I'm sorry; I should have mentioned that I haven't tried any of the BPTP bath oils. I prefer not to apply petroleum products to my skin, so those are a no-go for me.

Because of my maniacal vanilla amping abilities, I am afraid to even try Detestable Putrescence and Sachs, and between the jasmine and the ylang-ylang, The Girl would probably not work on my skin. Prunella is actually plenty vanilla/creamy on me, but it's missing the delicious nutmeg note and what I've become convinced is a hint of coconut milk. Still working on acquiring some Shadwell and Black Pearl to test this theory.

I'm almost done with the last of my Giant Vulva and I cannot stand it !!!

Y'all are so much better at nailing things down than I am. How close can I get to this magical potion?????

I'm with Kristana on the hilarity of the word choices. :lol:

Giant Vulva is Skin musk, sugar cane, honey, beeswax, vanilla flower, and copal. So I'm going to assume that on you it's a soft skin close light musk with a teensy bit of resin from the copal and sweetness from the honey/beeswax/vanilla combo.

The best approximation I can think of is layering:

Regan Illyria A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis.

and

La Petite Mort Ars Amatoria The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

It's missing the honey/beeswax element but might approximate the skin musk/vanilla combo nicely.

Other scents you can try are:

Eos Excolo Her scent is that of softly glowing skin, jasmine, buttercup and honeysuckle.

The buttercup adds a nice waxiness that might smell a bit like the beeswax element.

Les Bijoux Ars Amatoria Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh.

A drop dead sexy skin musk/honey combo with a light dusting of florals and resin.

Vasilissa Marchen creamy skin musk and blushing pink musk with soft sandalwood, white amber, dutiful myrrh, and star jasmine.

I haven't tried this so you might want to check the review thread to see if it matches up with your expectations.

And you can always check the swaps forum to see if anyone's selling or swapping off a bottle. Or you can look for decants to fill your bottle up with. Good luck!

Edited by paperrose

Or you can hold on another week and see what the Lupercalia update brings you this year. I'll guarantee there'll be another scent in that lot you'll like just as much. Or at least it'll distract you from your loss for a while...:lol:

I also found Itaso kansei, from the GC Salons to be strong on both the sugar cane and honey with just a hint of the other things. I don't think it will smell the same as Giant Vulva but it may be in the same scent family enough that you like it just as much.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

I TOLD you I was desperate!!!

Thank you for the suggestions though. I'm thinking that layering may indeed be the best route.

Ah well, I still have plenty of O on hand ;)

I don't get much vanilla from Giant Vulva at all, so am not sure that Regan would work very well as a layering component; on me, they're completely different scent families. However, on me, the beeswax is a significant component of GV, so if you try layering, you might want to track down Lights of Men's Lives (one of the newer Marchens), which is heavy on the beeswax.

I think that Vasilissa is very similar to Giant Vulva. They aren't an exact match, of course, but the skin musk and almost honey-sweetness is present in both.