Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I don't know how bad of a death note jasmine is for you, but I can't smell it at all in Kitsune-Tsuki. I actually had to look it up after you said that, because I went, "Wait, which one has jasmine?". :lol: Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I haven't tried all of the ones you've mentioned, but here's my thoughts on the ones I have:

Bordello: Much to my surprise, this blend actually went awful on me. I think I amped the wine. A lot of people love this one and have commented on the prominent plum though, so it might still work for you.

Dionysia: I STILL can't quite pin this one down.. I actually just put some on so I could compare for you. :lol: The plum is definitely there, but somewhat subdued by the woods and resins. It's a bit more tart than most of Beth's plum blends. It's very pretty and you should try it if you like plum, but to my nose it isn't very similar to Lovers.

Prunella: I had to go try this one too. Poor thing has been languishing untried in my imp box. And... damn, I'm amping the wildflowers (which are surprisingly green and stemmy and pretty, but not what you're looking for). If you already have some, you might as well try it anyway though.

I don't know if you've tried Makhanitis (also from the past Lupes), but it's probably the second-plummiest blend I've come across (the first being Kitsune-Tsuki). The plum is a little deeper than Kitsune-Tsuki, so it might work well for layering if you can find some. As for the vanilla part of layering, I think Lyonesse and Dana O' Shee are both good candidates. Mouse's LST is super sweet to my nose. Agape might also be a good choice (it's got that creamy, soft vanilla thing going on), and shouldn't be too hard to find on the forum, but I'll try some layering experiments with it this week and get back to you.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, terrenity! :hugs:

On my skin, jasmine is second only to civet as the worst note of death ever, and it has ruined many a blend for me... but there are a couple of jasmine-containing blends that I can wear (e.g., Wilde, Kubla Khan), and so I might look into swapping for an imp of Kitsune-Tsuki.

Bordello was fruity and candy-sweet on me. It wasn't bad, just very one-dimensional (and I don't like smelling like candy). I hadn't tried Lovers in a Ricefield yet, and it didn't occur to me at the time to try layering Bordello with anything. Might have to re-try it...

Makhanitis wasn't even on my radar (I think I must have dismissed it initially because of the champaca), but that does look promising. Thanks for bringing it to my attention - on the wish list it goes!

I haven't tried Agape, but I just thought of Shadwell as a potential choice for layering. To my nose, Lovers in a Ricefield has just the slightest hint of a coconut note. Nothing remotely like suntan oil or macaroons or anything, but like the scent of extra virgin coconut oil, diluted. On me, Shadwell went unexpectedly fruity-coconutty, and I think I may have swapped it. Gonna have to look for some more.

I've got imps of Prunella, Bathsheba, Oya, and Frumious Bandersnatch on the way, along with imps of Lyonesse and MLST (and I already have some Dana O'Shee). I'll report back with my results after they arrive, and I look forward to hearing the results of your experiments, as well. I appreciate your assistance muchly! :D

Has anyone found something similar to Sacrifice? I've just received a sniffle and oh my god! I think I just died and went to heaven. Guh.

Feeding the Dead smells like a foodier version of Morocco. I haven't even tried some of my Weenies yet because I've just being going back to this bottle over and over.

Eight Views of Actors in Their Dressing Rooms = Night-Gaunt.

At least to me. Eight Views is a little lighter.

Update on Lovers in a Ricefield: I just got an imp of Prunella, and to my surprise and delight, I am not amping the wildflowers and I do find it very similar to Lovers in a Ricefield. I haven't tried layering it yet, and I'm still waiting on imps of Bathsheba, Oya, and Frumious Bandersnatch (and hunting for Makhanitis) for comparison, but this is an excellent start!

So, Katharina = Maud Ruthyn. Katharina also reminds me of Zarita, the Doll Girl from CD, probably because of the orange blossom.

I was going through and updating my swap box, and I found and imp of Katharina, read the notes, and slathered it on. It's beautiful! I have no idea why it was in there, but it's not going anywhere now.

Update on Lovers in a Ricefield: I just got an imp of Prunella, and to my surprise and delight, I am not amping the wildflowers and I do find it very similar to Lovers in a Ricefield. I haven't tried layering it yet, and I'm still waiting on imps of Bathsheba, Oya, and Frumious Bandersnatch (and hunting for Makhanitis) for comparison, but this is an excellent start!

Wow, I'm so glad you found something that works! I wish Prunella had gone that direction on me. :lol:

I tried layering with Agape, and unfortunately found it too be a bit too fruity and heavy to work well. It completely overpowered Kitsune-Tsuki. I suspect that the best possibility for the vanilla portion might be Castitas bath oil, since it has both vanilla and rice, but since I've never tried it I can't actually testify there.

Hello! I'm new here, and one of the first BPALs I've tried is Aeronwen, which appears to be (alas) LE. Is there a GC that's similar?

Aeronwen is technically a LE in that it's part of the Carnaval Diabolique, which will one day be unavailable. But for the meantime, it's still available for purchase.

As for similar GCs, I'm afraid I'm not much help. Aeronwen on me is almost all fig and nothing else and I've not yet tried that many GCs to know what else is predominantly that same sort of clean figgy scent. :blush:

I love Aeronwen, too, and having tried a lot of BPAL scents I really haven't found anything like it. (I love the word "misty" to describe it, that's perfect!) If anyone has noticed a resemblance to something else, I'd be thrilled to hear it - in the meantime I think I am going to have to get another bottle for a back up once the Carnaval scents aren't available anymore.

It's not exact, nor is it technically GC, but Eisheth Zenunim smells a lot like Freak Show on me. Just swap a bit of peach for a bit of fig.

Is it just me or are Suck It & Fairy Wine essentially the same thing? Both have Dandelion, red currant and honey as their notes.

??? The notes for Suck It are:

Suck It (2009 Halloweenie LE): Sexy and suckable: black cherry brandy.

Or did you mean that on your skin they both smell of dandelion, red currant, and honey?

Is it just me or are Suck It & Fairy Wine essentially the same thing? Both have Dandelion, red currant and honey as their notes.

??? The notes for Suck It are:

Suck It (2009 Halloweenie LE): Sexy and suckable: black cherry brandy.

Or did you mean that on your skin they both smell of dandelion, red currant, and honey?

No, I meant I misread something and got confused. I was just about to come here and change my post but too late....I look like a noob... :blush:

No, I meant I misread something and got confused. I was just about to come here and change my post but too late....I look like a noob... :blush:

Ah, no worries! :hugs: (I hate when stuff like that happens to me! I am forever editing my posts...)

Anyone here more knowledgeable than I regarding GC tried Literary Vamp Mircalla? I am so very in love with it, literally my favorite scent ever. I am going to buy a bottle (I almost always stick with decants for LE) but I can't afford to buy a lifetimes worth...

Any similar oils in the GC? bc damn, it's awesome.

Anyone here more knowledgeable than I regarding GC tried Literary Vamp Mircalla? I am so very in love with it, literally my favorite scent ever. I am going to buy a bottle (I almost always stick with decants for LE) but I can't afford to buy a lifetimes worth...

Any similar oils in the GC? bc damn, it's awesome.

It reminds me a fair bit of Lust, actually. I'll have to do a comparison and confirm, but the two are respectively:

LUST - Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

MIRCALLA, COUNTESS KARNSTEIN - Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli.

Of course, I don't notice much clove in Mircalla - I'll report back. ;)

EDIT: Hmm, okay, I clearly didn't test Mircalla out properly the first time. The clove is definitely primary, and you can catch the floral, peru balsam, and francincense on me on top of the warm musk and patchouli. HOWEVER! They have a similar feel and tendency, even though they're distinct enough that I think I need bottles of each. XD You might wish to layer a clovey scent atop Lust to get more of that languid fire.

Edited by Eyeska

I'd like to second the comparison of Lust and Mircalla... and I actually like Lust better! w00t!

Hello! I'm new here, and one of the first BPALs I've tried is Aeronwen, which appears to be (alas) LE. Is there a GC that's similar?

Really, I just want to echo the love for Aeronwen -- one of my favorite scents. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that's very close -- and I've been exploring the 'fig' scents for a little while now. I think the black musk + fig + orange + (small amt of) myrrh is an unusual blend.

It *is* still available for purchase on the Lab site, though, so I would encourage anyone loving it to buy direct.

I tried layering with Agape, and unfortunately found it too be a bit too fruity and heavy to work well. It completely overpowered Kitsune-Tsuki. I suspect that the best possibility for the vanilla portion might be Castitas bath oil, since it has both vanilla and rice, but since I've never tried it I can't actually testify there.

I've tried it and have an imp of it, a generous frimp. Although I have no interest in the scent itself it's very vanilla & cream with a hint of pale flower.

Okay, every so often I wistfully think of the gifted tiny bit of Skadi someone sent me in my early, innocent BPAL days.

I don't think I even have a drop left now, but I recall it as being woods (as in firtrees and such) and mountain air and snow and probably other things. I loved it, and eagerly went then to try to get a bottle--but of course it was gone, even before I smelled my little drops thereof.j

So, anyone ever find a Skadi equivalent?

Okay, this is based off Beth saying that lots of Talvikuu + drop of Yew Berry can mimic Skadi, Yew Trees is a GC, but what can substitute in the GC catalogue for Talvikuu?