Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I'm definitely going to second the Mistletoe = Hemlock vote. I just tried Hemlock, and though it's a bit more herby and less biting pine, it's pretty damn close.

Dammit, now I want my Hemlock back! I need to compare them again...I loves me some Mistletoe.

Oh, and Centzon Totochtin is like the bastard child of Dia De Los Muertos and Grog. It's not as close as Kali, but it is similar. :P

I think Medea has the exact same juicy plum/berry scent Queen of Spades has. The wet stage for QoS is a bit medicinal and Medea is more earthy, but their dry down smells exactly the same on me.

Both Unseelie and Dissipation were quite a bit like Blue Moon to my nose, just a tad less fruity (Blue Moon had a definite melon-like quality to it). My body had the same reaction to all three scents as well (though to varying degrees), so I am sure they share some notes.

OMFG, you guys were right! :D

I tried Dublin again today (the current version this time, not the prototype like last time) and OMFGWTFBBQ, it smells almost exactly like Skadi! I'm in awe. Absolutely amazing. I'm a very happy girl right now! :P

OK, so Medea and Dublin just went to the top of my want list -- and Blood Countess. Queen of Spades, Skadi and Mistletoe are my favorite LEs, and I am especially hoping to find more things that smell like QoS since I can't put my finger on exactly what it is in there that I love so much.

Loup Garou turns out to be the same kind of piney that I like in Mistletoe, so I think I found my substitute! It's like Black Forest without the amber. And I like the amber too so...decisions, decisions...

Man am I full of suggestions lately! I've been going through all the imps I received from my million orders/swaps and have noticed a lot of similarities to the LEs this week. I tend to associate blends together so it helps me compare and write reviews. Anyways...

So if you like Rose Red, I think you'll like Ophelia. It has that exact same green scent RR has. It is a Rose White though, so not an exact match. Because of that, it's a bit more aquatic, but I think the elements are all there to compare to RR.

I love Hemlock but I mainly get a strong herbal and lemony smell from it -- some evergreen, but not the kind of clear pine that you get from Mistletoe. But still, I love it!

Now that I'm smelling Ice Queen for the first time right now I'm trying to think if I've ever encountered something like this before....Frost Moon is like this but mintier. Looks like Blue Moon, Frost Moon and Ice Queen are one big happy family, living in an ice castle! :P Of course, they're all LEs, so...I hope there are more like this coming, or hidden in the catalog that I haven't tried yet!

Sarada I agree with your Hemlock opinion. Once it gets to the final dry stage, it turns more citrusy and drifts a bit from Mistletoe. It's not the same, but I still think it's close.

Anyone found anything that compares to Ice Queen, but is current?

I'm gonna be getting ahold of an imp soon, so I'm just wondering! :P

Actually, I have two imps of Hemlock. One is a pale yellow and the other is a pale green, The pale yellow one smells like herbs with a touch a lemon, while the pale green one smells far more piney.

I wonder if I got two very different batches, or if one isn't really Hemlock!

My Hemlock is green, too. *nods*

Edited by Pixie-elf

Frost Moon (More minty-floral) has similar qualities to Neo-Tokyo (More greeny). I did a sniff and compare from the bottle test yesterday, but it's not really scientific since I passed on the wearing test.

I just tried Dublin, and yes.....it's almost Skadi!

I think I will get some mileage out of Skadi but I will probably place an order for Dublin anyway just so I have insurance! :P

Now I just have to get my hands on some Blood Countess in hopes that I'll get Queen of Spades out of it.

I just tried Dublin, and yes.....it's almost Skadi!

That is fantastic! I know it won't be perfect, of course, but it's nice to know it's close.

Now I must hunt down a sample of Ophelia to compare with this Imp of Rose Red I just received.

Oh, by the way, I've been meaning to mention...

I know someone indicated that Cathode was a good substitute for Ice Queen, but I have both of those and I don't think they smell a thing like each other except for the mint note.

Same for Szepasszony and Snow White. Someone said they didn't smell like each other because they liked Snow White (and conversely didn't like Szepasszony)...I feel the same in reverse. I love Szepasszony. I don't love Snow White.

Edited by Macha

I wore Ice Queen all day today and I don't think it had anything in common with Cathode -- I didn't even catch any mint from the Queen! But I love her -- and I liked Cathode too!

I should probably try Szepasszony!

Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking Cathode. I just don't think it's a good substitute for Ice Queen, you know?

Sadly, I'm not sure what would be a good substitute for Ice Queen...that's isn't itself a limited edition (i.e. Blue Moon, etc.) :P

I personally think Kali and Dia de los Muertos don't have much in common. I was just smelling Bruja today, though, and it struck me that Bruja has a very similar dry, smoky base scent. Paired up with a mellow floral, it could mimic Dia quite well.

-Rae

Thanks to everyone's advice here, now I have tried Medea and it smells just like Queen of Spades on the drydown! In the bottle, however, the Queen is much more purple-plum-berry.

So my next question is...how do Medea and Blood Countess compare to each other? Are they similar? Are they different enough that I should just order a bottle of each? I think Medea will cover my Queen of Spades need but if Blood Countess is stronger in the plum department I might have to get both!

Eek!

Well, I've tried Queen of Spades, Medea and Blood Countess, but I don't think I'm the person to ask because on me, Medea, smelled like sparkling sour grape juice (:P) and Blood Countess smelled like plums and was an almost exact duplicate of the Queen. :D

So...Queen of Spades is the long-lost twin of Blood Countess and Medea is more like a distant cousin. At least in my opinion. The only similarities I found between Medea and Queen of Spades or Medea and Blood Countess is that they smelled like different kinds of purple fruit.

Oh, and Cathode vs. Ice Queen? No dice for me. Cathode's entirely different, although it shares a vague minty connection to Frost Moon. Cathode is more like Ultraviolet without the violets than anything. :D

Wow. I might have to get both anyway because I definitely love Medea enough to get a bottle (it smells more like the incensy part of QoS on me) but you have definitely sold me on buying Blood Countess unsniffed. Penance hasn't steered me wrong yet! :P

Can we put these in IVs yet? The whole purple fruit family of scents is just SO incredible.

Sugar Skull has the same sweet base to me as Gluttony, although Gluttony has the hazelnut/coffee thing going on.

Oh, that's good to know. I'm trying to stock up on Sugar Skull because I love it so much. I'll have to order some Gluttony to try.

Thank you!

Sugar Skull has the same sweet base to me as Gluttony, although Gluttony has the hazelnut/coffee thing going on.

Oh, that's good to know. I'm trying to stock up on Sugar Skull because I love it so much. I'll have to order some Gluttony to try.

I just got an imp of Sugar Skull and LOVE it! :P However, I hate Gluttony on my skin -- I smell like burnt coffee. :D

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a scent that smells like the beautiful burnt sugar of Sugar Skull?

Wow, Golden Priapus was a MILLION times different than Skadi to me. I'd compare it more to Aureus. But then again, the scent is in the nose of the sniffer.

Does anyone else think Skadi is like Golden Priapus...but more green and with berries?  Or am I just a nutter?

Or both?  :D

Yah, both :D I think the pine is very similar and they both have a soft drydown.

Whip and Rose Red are very close :P .