Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

This is probably a long shot, but can anybody think of a GC (or even a less-rare LE) equivalent to Leipreachan? My brother sniffed and loved it this morning, and it smells great for him, but he'd rather not get entangled with something that rare, because it's only going to break his heart. I'm wondering if I can find something with a similar feel that's available in bottle size.

There are no notes available for it, but to me, Leipreachan smells like fresh green clover, warm leather and tangy, metallic gold, with a streak of something sweeter, almost like white amber, or maybe a white floral. Nothing equivalent comes to mind, but I'm hoping one of you all-knowing sorts will have better ideas than I do.

This is probably a long shot, but can anybody think of a GC (or even a less-rare LE) equivalent to Leipreachan? My brother sniffed and loved it this morning, and it smells great for him, but he'd rather not get entangled with something that rare, because it's only going to break his heart. I'm wondering if I can find something with a similar feel that's available in bottle size.

There are no notes available for it, but to me, Leipreachan smells like fresh green clover, warm leather and tangy, metallic gold, with a streak of something sweeter, almost like white amber, or maybe a white floral. Nothing equivalent comes to mind, but I'm hoping one of you all-knowing sorts will have better ideas than I do.

I love Leipreachan, too, and I haven't sniffed anything similar in the GC. The only thing I can think of is to layer De Sade with A Blade of Grass and something like Mechanical Phoenix or The Torture Queen. I'm not sure your brother is going to want to go to all that trouble, though. :P

I love Leipreachan, too, and I haven't sniffed anything similar in the GC. The only thing I can think of is to layer De Sade with A Blade of Grass and something like Mechanical Phoenix or The Torture Queen. I'm not sure your brother is going to want to go to all that trouble, though. :P

I had a feeling that would be the case... although I have to say, that would be a nice combo that I might want to try someday! Tourture Queen might be just the thing for that metallic/sweet twinge. You're right, though; my brother is new to BPAL and probably not going to fuss with layering that much.

Ah well. It was worth a try!

On me, Taurus '07 is very similar to The East. The main difference is that Taurus feels a little more substantial, stronger, which makes sense given that The East is suppose to be a scent carried on the wind. Taurus doesn't have currants, but that note was pretty subtle on my skin in the East.

Anyway, all very minor differences. Even if they don't smell just alike on you, if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

smoky moon to me is in the same family as antique lace and black lace. not as sweet or vanilla but it has that vibe. mmmm - I love it!

Since Labores Solis has been compared to The Sportive Sun over in the Anyone Tried It? thread, I thought I'd do a side-by-side... (Caveat: amber & heliotrope powder out on my skin. Not horribly, but if you wear wither of those notes without the powdery throw, YEMV.)

Wet, they are in a similar vein, certainly, but LS is fizzy & woodsy, SS sweet & unctuous. As the top notes dry off a bit, both start to throw a similar powdery amber/heliotrope blend - but again, SS is heady & thick, very feminine compared to LS. LS keeps a resinous, nearly fruity feel - the chamomile & saffron pop nicely. SS is increasingly reminiscent of Bastet, not quite as formal, but that same almond-amber.

In the final throes, LS & SS are nearly identical, on my skin, but magically, if I move my nose from one spot to the other & back, it almost feels like half my arm was in sun, the other in shade. The Sportive Sun smells like my skin bathed in sunlight, Labores Solis like my skin in shadows. Further proving Beth's effing genius. :wub2:

So, I was a belated convert to 'On Darkness' from the 2008 Yules, and I only recently acquired a bottle. Now, of course, I'm completely in love and must must must have more like this. Rather than stalk everyone who admits to having a bottle, I thought the GC would be the socially (and financially!) acceptable way to go.

An embrace: black poppy, lavender, thick black incense, black amber, rose geranium, Brazilian rosewood, and benzoin.

Does anyone have suggestions for GCs that might be close to this? Or even in the same family, if not really close?

Many thanks!

tacey

I searched and no one mentioned these, so I'll add my own experiences. These are all on me personally, of course, and not tested on anyone else.

On me, Urd and Penumbra smell a lot alike. Tamora also is pretty similar to Underpants, Glowing Vulva, and Haloes, but of that list it's more similar to Haloes than the other two. And No.93 Engine was almost a dead ringer for Schwarzer Mond 2008, although SM might have been a bit more peppery. Both were fresh, by the way, so aging might change this. It didn't make any sense either given that they don't seem to share any notes that I can see.

Against Idleness and Mischief in the Mad Tea Party smells a little bit like Mead Moon(08-since that is the one I have tried).

It isn't exact. It's less spicy, but, on me it has a similar dry honey vibe.

Smoky Moon is just amazing on me (Soft sandalwood, nicotiana, and velvety orris drifting over lustrous pale musks, stephanotis, elemi, and cyclamen.) It's light and woody. Anyone have anything that reminds them of Smoky Moon?

Against Idleness and Mischief in the Mad Tea Party smells a little bit like Mead Moon(08-since that is the one I have tried).

It isn't exact. It's less spicy, but, on me it has a similar dry honey vibe.

Ya know, it really does remind me of Mead Moon! :D

As Nonae Caprotina is about to go down, I thought this would be a good time to say that I've found it's very, very like Obatala (milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool waters). The unsweetened milk note is almost precisely the same and, while the coconut is prominent in the beginning, it fades. The two are definitely siblings, though I'd say Obatala is slightly more feminine.

People have recommended Obatala as a substitute for Milk Moon and many people have compared Milk Moon to Nonae. A=B, B=C, therefore A=C.

So, I was a belated convert to 'On Darkness' from the 2008 Yules, and I only recently acquired a bottle. Now, of course, I'm completely in love and must must must have more like this. Rather than stalk everyone who admits to having a bottle, I thought the GC would be the socially (and financially!) acceptable way to go.

:thud: That's one of my favorite oils and I realized that way too late to buy any straight from the lab. I have one wee bottle, but I'm also always comparing oils against the sexy lusciousness that is On Darkness. This may just be my skin, but I get a hazy, dusty, dark purple, almost plummy feeling from it and though I don't think they have similar notes, I've gotten "purple" and plummy from Bensiabel and Dionysia since they have a plum note that works for me better than Bordello's or something like that. the problem is they don't have the dusty richness I get from the opium in OD. I thought Dr. John Seward had a similar vibe with the opium poppy notes in that one. Since that's an LE too, maybe layering Opium Poppy and Bensiabel?

When I tried Tome Gozen, I thought it was a lot like Lady Una without the vanilla. The similarity still stands, but it's just a similarity and not a dead ringer. Now I have Berry Moon, and I think it's even more like Lady Una. Just add vanilla and you've basically got Una.

This has likely been mentioned, but aged Dana O'Shee smells exactly like Snow White 07 except slightly more almond and less floral, but definitely very very similar.

dOes anybody know of a gc equivalent or relative to my beloved night bpal of

Bonfire Night?

I am getting rather desperate!;)

:thud: That's one of my favorite oils and I realized that way too late to buy any straight from the lab. I have one wee bottle, but I'm also always comparing oils against the sexy lusciousness that is On Darkness. This may just be my skin, but I get a hazy, dusty, dark purple, almost plummy feeling from it and though I don't think they have similar notes, I've gotten "purple" and plummy from Bensiabel and Dionysia since they have a plum note that works for me better than Bordello's or something like that. the problem is they don't have the dusty richness I get from the opium in OD. I thought Dr. John Seward had a similar vibe with the opium poppy notes in that one. Since that's an LE too, maybe layering Opium Poppy and Bensiabel?

Oooooo! I just saw Dionysia (Wild plum, pomegranate, raspberry, Siamese benzoin, plum blossom, patchouli, frankincense, and mahogany) mentioned in another thread today and thought it sounded much more tempting than whenever I last looked at the Ladies. Since the opium-heavy possibilities I've tried haven't really emulated On Darkness very well, maybe the purple/plummy relatives are the way to go... I do love Bensiabel, although I hadn't especially connected him to On Darkness. Definitely a useful direction to explore -- thank you!

Bonfire Night?

You could try Rumpelstilzchen or laying Djinn with a sweeter, foodier scent like Hellcat or Grog. There's also Devil's Night which is a current LE or the recently departed St. John's Eve (I have learned that I love my fire scents food free. SJE gets a lot of love whereas my Devil's Night is from 05 and I've barely made a dint in it).

Bonfire Night?

Along the same lines as paperrose's suggestions, I would try layering Cockaigne with De Sade. There was another BPAL that reminded me of Bonfire Night, but it is escaping me at the moment... I'll reply again if I think of it.

thanks apple-would the similar to bonfire night perhaps be tombstone? cause it would be great if it was cause i just ordered it?thanks for the suggestions.scurries off to lab again

thanks apple-would the similar to bonfire night perhaps be tombstone? cause it would be great if it was cause i just ordered it?thanks for the suggestions.scurries off to lab again

On me, no. But I should perhaps qualify that I have horrible skin chemistry. :P

On my skin, Tombstone was a big ol' vanilla candle with a splash of root beer. Bonfire Night was smoky and leathery (reminiscent of De Sade) with a buttery, foody quality that reminded me of popcorn... or maybe caramel corn (which is how Cockaigne smelled on me).

On me, no. But I should perhaps qualify that I have horrible skin chemistry. :P

On my skin, Tombstone was a big ol' vanilla candle with a splash of root beer. Bonfire Night was smoky and leathery (reminiscent of De Sade) with a buttery, foody quality that reminded me of popcorn... or maybe caramel corn (which is how Cockaigne smelled on me).

It seems that Hand of Glory might fit the smoky, leathery, slightly foody (thats how it smelled on me anyway - gorgeous!)

Okay, every so often I wistfully think of the gifted tiny bit of Skadi someone sent me in my early, innocent BPAL days.

I don't think I even have a drop left now, but I recall it as being woods (as in firtrees and such) and mountain air and snow and probably other things. I loved it, and eagerly went then to try to get a bottle--but of course it was gone, even before I smelled my little drops thereof.j

So, anyone ever find a Skadi equivalent?

Does anyone else think Boadicea and Hellhound On My Trail smell very similar? I just received a bottle of Hellhound and am blown away by how similar it is to the WQ :wub2: