Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I missed out on ordering a bottle of Formula 54 , and one just went on ebay for almost $68. Ouch. Even though I have yet to smell this myself, it just sounds like something I'd love (and of course my compulsive side wants it regardless). Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar? I couldn't find any threads on it.

You might want to check the notes and do a search on the BPAL website, Diana.

The F54 description is:

"Visions of smeared candy red lipstick, torn fishnet and searching, sunken eyes. The scent of an all-nighter: cognac, tobacco flower, dark musk, black rose and clove"

On me, F54 is mostly boozy rose and clove.

In addition, my less-than-scientific similar scents would be Blood (Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove) and Queen of Spades if you can get it.

Perversion has a very similar "feel" to F'54 in its later stages, on me, and Black Rose has very similar top notes, though F'54 is boozier. You might try Dracul as well, but that's a new one so I've not had a chance to sniff it.

I hate to tell you this, but I think Formula 54 is one of a kind. Due to the unique mixture of the clove, cherry, black rose and tobacco. Hollywood Babylon is cherryish and amberish, but doesn't have the rose, clove or tobacco notes which really gives Formula 54 it's uniqueness.

ETA: If that price above is for the large, blue falcon glass bottle (1/3 oz) of Formula 54, that's really not a bad price. I think we paid $45 (can't exactly remember, but it was at least $45) for our bottles on the Forum.

Edited by lorajc

I thought Blood Kiss would be my poor man's F'54, as I've said in other posts...I agree with spark -- if you can deal with the vetiver, give it a try.

After Christmas dinner yesterday, I introduced my sister to BPAL. She immediately fell in love an wanted to trot off with all my precious bottles but really want Dia de los Muertos.

Do you have any recommendations for a regularly available scent in the same vein? Incensy, floral, slightly sweet?

I want to hook her up with a similar scent and order her a wolf moon le tonight.

Thanks!

Michaeline (Doing my job to get as many people addicted to BPAL as possible!)

I've noticed some scents that remind me of LE's but not as complex... here's the ones I've noticed so far:

Snow White: Dana O'Shee

Wildfire: Dragon's Bone

Red Moon: Desire

Any other similarities? I mean certainly, none of the non-LE's is an exact replacement, they just have a lot of similar notes (at least on me).

Edited by ivyandpeony

Midwinter's Eve = Bordello

Bordello has a bit more depth to it, but there's a very strong plum similarity in both. :P

I've yet to try out all the Yule LEs I have, so I may have more later.

These are the similarities I see:

Snow White = Szepasszony

Midwinter's Eve = Bordello

Egg Nog = Vanilla Bean

Hearth = Cerberus

Mistletoe = Old Dublin

Red Moon = Ra

Queen of Spades/King of Spades = Venice (can't remember which one!)

June Gloom = Phantasm

Wildfire = Dragon's Bone

and for some reason Rose Red always reminds me of The Apothecary!

Red Moon = Dragon's Tears

They both have the florals and dragon's blood, but DT is a bit aquatic and RM isn't, but it's close to me anyway.

Queen of Spades ~ Lampades, not an exact match.

maybe queen of spades would be like blood countess? they seem similar, to me, but QOS is more candyish. i haven't tried blood countess, though.

i mentioned this in the BPAL similarity thread:

King of Spades = Yerevan

Edited by diabolique

I'm moving this to recommendations, although because it is LE specific, it could probably stay a seperate thread, though I'll leave that up to Kate.

One LE that hasn't been mentioned here yet is Formula 54, which I find quite similar in mood (though not exactly in notes) to Perversion. Less leather and more smoke, but they are both heady with a touch of sweetness.

Really?? Old Dublin might be like Mistletoe? If that's the case then I definitely need to check out Dublin...

I can't find anything remotely like Skadi, so I definitely can't think of anything for her. She might be unique.

Queen of Spades was a more powerful, incensey Megaera to me but I would have to sniff both again to figure that out. Queen of Spades is actually the archetypical BPAL scent to me, it smells like it does when I have a whole bunch of them together. And I usually do!...

Boy, Meg...you're quick! :P

Red Moon: Blood Countess

Red Rose: Persephone

Baba Yaga (up and coming): Manila

Snow White: Dana O'Shee

Ice Queen/Frost Moon: Cathode

Really??  Old Dublin might be like Mistletoe?  If that's the case then I definitely need to check out Dublin...

I can't find anything remotely like Skadi, so I definitely can't think of anything for her.  She might be unique.

Yep, I think so! Actually Old Dublin reminds me of kind of cross between Mistletoe and Skadi, except a tiny little bit softer.

King of Diamonds=Chypre...not suprising as it is a note mentioned, but totally dead on Chypre, now discontinued...but I own! :P

Great idea.

Yep, I thought that Skadi was similar to Dublin, too, although I still have to do a side-by-side comparison.

However, Skadi and Alecto were totally different on me.

Dia De Los Muertos :: Kali

I don't think Old Dublin is similar to either Mistletoe or Skadi, personally. I think those two are pretty unique among BPAL, unfortunately. That's just my opinion, though. :P