Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I love The Emathides (black amber, black orchid, black currant, olive blossom, wood violet, lavender, blue musk, rose attar, and cedar), has anyone tried any GC scents that are similar?

Does anyone know if there is a GC BPAL blend that smells sort of similar to L'Estate from the BPTP summer inquisition? i absolutely love that blend, but I only have one bottle...

So, is there a GC cousin of L'Estate? *hopes*

It's a little aquatic, but otherwise I thought Lyonesse (Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss) had a similar feel to L'Estate (Nepalese amber, vanilla infused amber, golden musk, sandalwood, golden lily, sunflower, and honey myrtle). Lyonesse is one of the Wanderlust blends.

You could also try Inez (Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood) -- that's a Carnaval Diabolique and thus will be going away at some point in the not-too-distant future, but at least you still have time to stock up on it if it works for you.

Does anyone know if there is a GC BPAL blend that smells sort of similar to L'Estate from the BPTP summer inquisition? i absolutely love that blend, but I only have one bottle...

It's a little aquatic, but otherwise I thought Lyonesse (Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss) had a similar feel to L'Estate (Nepalese amber, vanilla infused amber, golden musk, sandalwood, golden lily, sunflower, and honey myrtle). Lyonesse is one of the Wanderlust blends.

You could also try Inez (Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood) -- that's a Carnaval Diabolique and thus will be going away at some point in the not-too-distant future, but at least you still have time to stock up on it if it works for you.

oh! good suggestions. I'll try those.

Any similarities in the "permanent" scents to Glowing Vulva or Snow White?? Just wondering, cream does really well on me and these sounded interesting.

L'Estate : Nepalese amber, vanilla infused amber, golden musk, sandalwood, golden lily, sunflower, and honey myrtle.

Sunflower (from the Salon) : Sunflower bouquet, black amber, creeping black moss, wilted greenery, and scorched, dry stems.

They aren't entirely the same, but, L'Estate was the scent that had me hunting for sunflower scents. You could layer Sunflower with something containing whatever it is missing from what L'Estate shows on your skin. Layering it with Lyonesse or Inez might be very very close, depending on skin chemistry.

Any similarities in the "permanent" scents to Glowing Vulva or Snow White?? Just wondering, cream does really well on me and these sounded interesting.

For Glowing Vulva, try Antikythera Mechanism--its remarkably similar on my skin (and some others say the same).

For snow white, try Dana O'Shee--it has that sweet creamy almondness and is really lovely.

hm that's a good point. i had noticed Sunflower before because of the two similar notes, but reviews of it have been more "scorched earth and dead flowers" than L'Estate. But layering might a good bet. Maybe with Lyonesse or Tiger Lily?

L'Estate : Nepalese amber, vanilla infused amber, golden musk, sandalwood, golden lily, sunflower, and honey myrtle.

Sunflower (from the Salon) : Sunflower bouquet, black amber, creeping black moss, wilted greenery, and scorched, dry stems.

They aren't entirely the same, but, L'Estate was the scent that had me hunting for sunflower scents. You could layer Sunflower with something containing whatever it is missing from what L'Estate shows on your skin. Layering it with Lyonesse or Inez might be very very close, depending on skin chemistry.

Although Egg Nog Latte seems to be a perfect blend of Egg Nog + Misk U, the attempted layering of these 2 failed miserably for me! At first it smelled right, but then as it dried it became.... odd. Not like egg nog or coffee. Hours later it was definitely more pleasant, but not in the ENL way I had hoped for. Boo.

L'Estate is mostly a soft blend that's all about the Nepalese Amber on me - I can't remember if I've found/tried any other blends from BPAL containing nepalese amber, but I've tried a couple from other e-tailers, so I do recognise the note.

I love The Emathides (black amber, black orchid, black currant, olive blossom, wood violet, lavender, blue musk, rose attar, and cedar), has anyone tried any GC scents that are similar?

It might not help you if you want to wear it in public, but I find that TKO and the Emathides share a lot of commonalities. I find that the drydown of the Emathides smells a LOT like the scent of residual TKO when I wake up.

Otherwise I get a more masculine Emathides vibe from the Bow and Crown of Conquest. Violet Ray is a sweeter, candied Emathides. Psyche has a similar orchid/lavender/rose scent but is drier and more reserved. Lysander has a bit more of a tropical, fruity sense but I find the lilac musk similar to blue musk.

I love Zarita the Doll Girl, and am not looking for an exact same scent necessarily, but just similar ones. Are Katrina Van Tassel and The Gaoler's Daughter similar? They sound like it and I'm tempted to get bottles of each unsniffed.

I love Zarita the Doll Girl, and am not looking for an exact same scent necessarily, but just similar ones. Are Katrina Van Tassel and The Gaoler's Daughter similar? They sound like it and I'm tempted to get bottles of each unsniffed.

They're all florals with cream, so I'd put them in roughly the same ballpark, yeah. :) Katrina is not as sweet, it's basically a simple, creamy rose. Gaoler's Daughter is sweet, but like peaches in syrup. I found it less immediately floral than Zarita, on my skin. The florals in G. Daughter are a little richer, not quite as bright.

The closest GC match, as far as I can recall, is Fairy Market. It doesn't have the cream, but on me, it was mostly light, sugared florals. Very similar in character, but different enough to be something new.

Hope & Faith are two other sugared florals, and for the cream component, you could try White Chocolate and Sugared Violets, if you like violets. Similarly, there's Antique Lace, which on me, is a lot of sweet, vanilla violets with a hint of musk.

Alice is similar, with milk, honey, rose, carnation, and bergamot.

Edited by naeelah

I don't know about you, but I get a fruity, peppery edge from Zarita that's not really in either of those-- the strongest notes for me are orange blossom and carnation. I notice that Maenad has orange blossom and carnation, Tweedledee has orange blossom and white pepper, and Hunger has orange blossom and vanilla, but for the record, I have tried none of these scents, so I can't compare them to Zarita.

Thanks for the help! I mainly get the orange and cream from Zarita, and the problem is, most the other creams don't show up on me like they do in Zarita. Pink Moon 07 I liked because it had a similar vibe, but Alice is really faint and bland on me, and Fairy Market is pretty, but really just a different scent completely on me.

Hunger sounds like it might be the next one I try!

I did just try Lady Lilith, and oddly enough, Zarita is what it most reminded me of!

In my sudden windfall of pomegranate scents, I found Queen of Clubs similar to Hymn to Proserpine. The Queen is a more nuanced, complex scent, but Proserpine is her somewhat similar cousin. Both are bright pom subdued by a dark background.

Toad Hall reminds me VERY strongly of Odin.

While not as close a match, the dry down of Candy Phoenix has a black currant note identical to the strong one in Eat Me - they're close cousins.

Has anyone discovered/observed a GC scent twin for Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream? That scent is my absolute favorite, but I almost never wear it because I don't want to run out. I'd love to find a GC twin or close cousin.

Crawdad Dream didn't do so well on my skin, so it mostly just smelled like plasticky red currants and vanilla.

I assume you can smell more of the full range of notes, but at least as a starting point, try Eat Me. On my skin, they smell almost the same, only Eat Me is a little sweeter and cakier. It's one of your best bets for a GC red currant blend.

If you can smell a lot of the squash blossom, Pepper might be worth a try, for layering something over. It's a sweet, lightly spicy floral. On my skin, it's mostly a spicy honey vanilla scent just colored by the florals (although it's probably a lot more floral on most people). Paired with red currants, it's a little similar, to my nose.

That's all I got. :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations, naeelah. Eat Me didn't agree with my chemistry, but I'll look into Pepper.

I'm not sure what squash blossom smells like on its own, but I guess I should have mentioned what notes came out the most for me with Crawdad Dream. Most of what I can pin down (not having a very well-trained nose) is blueberry, musk, vanilla and, I think, ginger.

On me, Crawdad is mostly blueberry, coriander, and vanilla. Unfortunately I don't think I know of anything that combines all those notes in one. You could try Tristran for the coriander and spice part(though it is a Stardust scent, and unimpable, at least it isn't LE) and layer that with something that has the berry and vanilla...

Something like Eat me(which is pretty much vanilla cake and rasberry filling) layered with Tristran might possibly aproach the sweet spicy berry scent, even if it isn't exactly "it."

Uhm, another question... incase Katrina Van Tassel isn't brought back for Halloween 09'. any scents similar to that one? (my fiancee has been begging me to get more but now i'm not sure i will ever be able to...)

Uhm, another question... incase Katrina Van Tassel isn't brought back for Halloween 09'. any scents similar to that one? (my fiancee has been begging me to get more but now i'm not sure i will ever be able to...)

The closest scent is definitely Hope from Carnaval Diabolique, which is currently available, but not GC. Most of the GC roses don't smell as pink and sweet as Katrina van Tassel does to me, but maybe try London, Alice, or Two Five and Seven?

This is LE to LE, but one is very limited and the other is currently plentiful, so:

Makhanitis smells almost identical to Prospero. The plum and red wine notes are the same, and they both contain about the same amount of champaca, and those are the real defining notes of the scents. (FYI, Prospero is still in stock at DD, last time I checked, but I'm sure they only have a few left.)

The difference is pretty small. Makhanitis is a little bit rougher around the edges, from the sandalwood, and Prospero has more of a smooth, polished edge, from the amber and white musk.