Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I have a bottle of Hellhound on My Trail, and I'm absolutely in love with it. Alas, I only bought one. For future reference, can anyone recommend other scents that are similar?

Thank you!

:P

Is there anything at all that smells like Tiki King?

The King reminded me of Havana and Intrigue, but I have a weird nose. :D

Sorry this reply is so late, but Tiki King smells a lot like the Salon scent Satan and Death with Sin Intervening. They have the same lemony-resiny feel, but Tiki King has more coconut. I haven't tried Havana but I can see the Intrigue comparison, too.

How funny....I just came here to post about Tiki King, and right at the top of the page I see someone asking about it! Anyway, I put on Incantation today, and realized it reminds me a lot of Tiki King, minus the coconut (and probably heavier on the lemon).

I have a bottle of Hellhound on My Trail, and I'm absolutely in love with it. Alas, I only bought one. For future reference, can anyone recommend other scents that are similar?

Thank you!

When I tried Hellhound I immediately thought of the bay rum in Baron Samedi (without the almond in BS), plus the ginger and vanilla of Pickled Imp. The galangal in Hellhound tickles my nose like ginger, a sneezing smiley would be appropriate! [edit: I see now that Pickled Imp doesn't have ginger listed.....Shub-Niggurath might be a better ginger comparison, but Hellhound still reminds me of Pickled Imp too.....complicated enough??]

And although I disagree with some of the comparisons, ivyandpeony's list is indeed impressive! (it really doesn't matter if I agree w/others' impressions, if it works for some people, it works!)

To simplify:

Tiki King: Incantation

Hellhound On My Trail: Baron Samedi, Pickled Imp, Shub-Niggurath

Edited by Forspecial Plate

The Masque (LE; honey and carnation, rich incense and rose accord, myrtle, red sandalwood, amber, jonquil and clove propel you through the revel, finally seating itself in the final, patchouli, tobacco and labdanum drenched darkness of the blood-tinged western chamber)

is closely reminiscent of

Masquerade (GC; patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom)

minus the citrus—which disappears upon my skin anyhow. They share the same golden-red florals and incense, and have much the same feeling of a celebration shadowed by darkness. (And, perhaps not too oddly, similar names and inspirations.)

Any idea of what GC scents resemble Green Tree Viper? I'm thinking of trying it, but I'm afraid of falling in love without having a replacement for when the Carnival goes away. :P

Greensleeves

If another incarnation of Lick It comes out with this years Yules, you can layer it with Snake Oil and to me, that is pretty close. Maybe not identical, but very close. Mmmm mint!

I think Treat 2 and Carnal smell a lot alike. In the bottle Treat 2 has a bit more coconut but they even out to about the same on the skin.

Are there GC equivalents for:

1. Creepy

2. MB: Bloody Mary (I tried Vice and it smells nothing like the heady over powering sweetness of Bloody Mary, although I love it for itself!)

3. Habu

Thanks!

Edited by NeuroticaGirl

I just tried Tempest for the first time yesterday, and, to my nose, it's very much like Sturgeon Moon.

Thank you!

This might sound weird, but I found Stimulating Sassafrass Strengther to have a similar feel.

I agree, I does have a similar feel. Not so much that they smell alike, but they just remind me of each other, if that makes any sense.

I`d love to have another blend with the same or a similar mandarin note of Lady Lilith. Is Carnal near to it? I love the freshness of the wet stage of the blend.

Thank you!

This is from memory because I haven't tried it in a while, but Kathmandu is similar to Hellhound. I think the imp of Kathmandu I have might be aged, but they both have that "spicy herbal rootbeer" thing going on. Kathmandu is a little stronger and darker.

I`d love to have another blend with the same or a similar mandarin note of Lady Lilith. Is Carnal near to it? I love the freshness of the wet stage of the blend.

Kubla Khan has a prominent mandarin note and some of the same florals as Lady Lilith. Hell's Belle is musky florals with mandarin. The Great Sword of War has the same mandarin/red musk combo as Lady Llith. It's more masculine, though.

If you're looking for light and fresh Hell's Belle is the closest to a light fresh Lady Lilith. If you're just looking for a bright and clean mandarin blend, 51 is excellent.

Kubla Khan has a prominent mandarin note and some of the same florals as Lady Lilith. Hell's Belle is musky florals with mandarin. The Great Sword of War has the same mandarin/red musk combo as Lady Llith. It's more masculine, though.

If you're looking for light and fresh Hell's Belle is the closest to a light fresh Lady Lilith. If you're just looking for a bright and clean mandarin blend, 51 is excellent.

Thanks a lot! I already have Kubla Khan and The Great Sword, and I love them! I will include your suggestions in the imminent Yule order!

I'm not sure exactly which thread this should go in, but this seems the most likely to me...

Day Of the Skulls 2008 = Penthus

Except I don't think DotS lasts as long on my skin. But they're errily similar in the way the smell, to me.

--M

I'm amazed nobody made the comparison yet, but Mictecacihuatl is *very* close to Gypsy Queen on my skin. Smoke/Incense and sweetened rose.

Whoever said that Jailbait was a lot like Teenage Cannibal was right on the money. Jailbait has some wintergreen in it, whereas I don't get any wintergreen from Cannibal. The drydown is nearly identical though.

How about the winter LE "Rose Red" compared to the new Marchen "The Rose" both their descriptions sound like they should smell mainly the same.

is it too soon for anyone to know the answer to this one?

To the Mods, I wasn't sure if this question was too specific to put into the Tea recs, or the LE/Discons=GC threads, so if I was wrong, please merge with my apologies! :P

I've only tried one tea blend so far -- Gennivre. Which is so heart-breakingly gorgeous on me, it makes me want to cry that she'll be leaving soon! :D Seriously, I treat my precious single bottle (gotta get another) with all the reverence of a vial of sanctified liquid gold! :D Since I haven't tried any of the other teas yet, I'm wondering if maybe tea notes in general are things I should be looking for. How do other BPAL teas compare to Gennivre? When looking around for something similar, things like Shanghai, The Dormouse, Embalming Fluid and Phantasm have caught my attention. Even non-tea BPALs would be great, (for example, similar honey or orange blossom notes, same general feel, etc.) I just want Gennivre-ish recs if that makes sense. Lol I haven't tried many scents yet, so for all I know the GC is SWIMMING with them! :D

For the record, Gennivre on me is a really summery mix of tea, sugar, honey, lemon grass and orange blossom. I don't think I really get any mint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sorry for the novel!

I love Gennivre, too, and will probably have to pick up another bottle.....Dormouse smelled very similar to me, although I liked Gennivre better. THey have the same vibe to me. I think it would be a good sub!

I've only tried one tea blend so far -- Gennivre. Which is so heart-breakingly gorgeous on me, it makes me want to cry that she'll be leaving soon! :D Seriously, I treat my precious single bottle (gotta get another) with all the reverence of a vial of sanctified liquid gold! :P Since I haven't tried any of the other teas yet, I'm wondering if maybe tea notes in general are things I should be looking for. How do other BPAL teas compare to Gennivre? When looking around for something similar, things like Shanghai, The Dormouse, Embalming Fluid and Phantasm have caught my attention. Even non-tea BPALs would be great, (for example, similar honey or orange blossom notes, same general feel, etc.) I just want Gennivre-ish recs if that makes sense. Lol I haven't tried many scents yet, so for all I know the GC is SWIMMING with them! :D

For the record, Gennivre on me is a really summery mix of tea, sugar, honey, lemon grass and orange blossom. I don't think I really get any mint.

Gennivre is my favourite blend, and I'm sad to say I haven't found anything quite like it in the GC. I like Shanghai, but it lacks that honey/sugared sweetness, the Embalming Fluid smelled almost exactly like Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea to me, and there was something in The Dormouse that didn't work with my chemistry. You might want to try Dorian and Sudha Segara for tea + sweetness, and 51 for green-ness though. There is one blend in the Salon that contains ti leaf, which might possibly be similar, but I haven't tried any of the salons yet.

I think Treat 2 and Carnal smell a lot alike. In the bottle Treat 2 has a bit more coconut but they even out to about the same on the skin.

Are there GC equivalents for:

1. Creepy

2. MB: Bloody Mary (I tried Vice and it smells nothing like the heady over powering sweetness of Bloody Mary, although I love it for itself!)

3. Habu

Thanks!

I really find Sticky Pillowcase to be a dead ringer for MB Bloody Mary, but maybe it's my nose.

Reading back through the Salon Masterpieces thread made me realize that I am very unhappy to have missed the Dogs Playing Poker series . I wasn't around then . So , this leads to the obvious question . Are there any available scents out there ( I'll even settle for current LE's in this case ) that are close to any of the puppies ? I know I see them once in a while on EBay , but they always go for way more then I can realistically pay . So , any help for me out there at all ?

^ CoopieCat...that is a tough one....those are some unique scents. I'll think about it and post here if I come up with anything.

I do have to mention that Kumari Kandam smells very, very similar to Ice Queen. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here already! I'm sure there are subtle differences, and I haven't tested them side-by-side. But wow....I'm not sure I could tell the difference in a blind 'sniff test'.