Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I found Glowing Vulva to be unique (although it reminded me in a weird way of Bond No. 9's Chinatown it was in no way identical to it). Have you tried Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht yet? It does have amber, cream and teak notes - with a bunch of other sweet things in place of the lotus in GV.

I can't vouch for a similarity but it's because of that caramel effect on my skin. Basically, when I tried Agrat, the caramel was so bossy that I just smelled like Rolos. Not a bad smell, but not the complex and sexy scent that I am sure Beth intended.

Thank you!! I'll be adding Hellion and Red Phoenix to my wishlist and hope I get lucky. I do have an imp of Blood Countess, hadn't thought of that but I'll go home and give it a shot. :P

Personally, I don't think Blood Countess smells at all like Nahemoth, although it is in a similar kind of scent family. Blood Countess is waaay to heavy on the champaca to be a close match. (Blood Countess, to me, smells most like John Seward.)

Hellion probably is the best match for Nahemoth, but when I go home, I'll plunder my incense collection to see if something is at all similar. I feel like I discovered a slightly plummy incense blend recently, but I don't remember what it was...

I found Glowing Vulva to be unique (although it reminded me in a weird way of Bond No. 9's Chinatown it was in no way identical to it). Have you tried Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht yet? It does have amber, cream and teak notes - with a bunch of other sweet things in place of the lotus in GV.

I can't vouch for a similarity but it's because of that caramel effect on my skin. Basically, when I tried Agrat, the caramel was so bossy that I just smelled like Rolos. Not a bad smell, but not the complex and sexy scent that I am sure Beth intended.

I've got the Agratbat coming in the mail :P I think the biggest problem for me will be finding something with the exact same amber, because amber is very tricky on me. Most ambers do bad things with my chemistry. The Vulva amber is just magical.

Just agreeing that I find Agrat very caramel-y and not so much like Glowing Vulva. It's in the same general scent family, sure, but definitely not a dead ringer. GV isn't at all sugary, but Agrat distinctively has a caramel note. The apple blossom was pretty strong for me too, whereas I got almost no floral sense out of GV.

So I'd say Agrat is worth trying if you like that kind of scent and want a new take on it, but not if you want a dupe.

To my nose & with my chemistry, Hay Moon, Bezoar & No. 93 Engine are very similar... all riff on the lemony resin & hay fields theme. Hay Moon's the lightest of the 3, with a slightly sharp lemon/cardamon note while it's wet & very golden, dry hay. Then Bezoar, with sweeter cardamon & a greener hay - there's a slightly creamy back note, too. No. 93 is the heaviest & least grassy, more a whiff of charred fields after a burn-off, with a lot of resins & a good whallop of lemon balm & sage & thick honey.

You know what? Throw Mag Mell in here, too - lemon verbena & resins, but wet green grass instead of hay fields.

A friend of mine just gave me a bottle of something called Gypsy Queen, with just a little bit in it, a dribble really, and I didn't know whether to kiss her or hit her. It smells almost EXACTLY like my house used to when my mum was alive and kept her incense and candles burning all the time, or when we used to go to the choovihni's house for things. (I'm half Rroma Gypsy in case you couldn't tell)I've always loved that smell, and never been able to figure out how to recreate it, and Beth did, but ot's a Limited Edition!

Is there anything I can layer or combine, or something that even comes CLOSE to it?

Here is some similarities I have found that might be useful to someone!

Morocco= Pink Moon 07= HOD all smell the same to me

Pumpkin Queen= Jack

Skadi= Black Forest

Whitechapel=Dorian=Severin= Vampire Tears=Baobhan Sith= Tweedldee all smell the same to me with minimal difference

Geek =Shrunken Heads=Spanked=Loviatar- they all smell very similar

Spanked- the drydown smells just like Geek (and Shrunken Heads)

Intrigue =Buggre All This Bible

Norn's Farmhouse=Ventriloquists Dummy

Edited by Briarose

Does anyone know what GC is similar to Cheshire Moon? MY friend loves it and I wanted to buy her something similar (I would never give up my bottle). Pele? Machu Piccu? I haven't tried those.

The Chapel = Djinn

Now if I could just find something that smells like The Lion....

I'm pretty sure The Lion smells like The Lion. :P It's a catalog blend in the Mad Tea Party section, not a limited edition. If you're just looking for similar scents, there's a whole thread in here about ambery blends. Hope that helps!

Any idea of what GC scents resemble Green Tree Viper? I'm thinking of trying it, but I'm afraid of falling in love without having a replacement for when the Carnival goes away. :P

Greensleeves

whoever said Archangel Winter and Sea of Glass are similar were so right. I can start using more of AW because I can buy a bottle of SoG when my LE bottle runs out!

Woah, Scylla's review of the Torture Queen states that it is Snow-Flakes on her from application to drydown, and let me tell you... it smells like Snow-Flakes in the bottle, minus a very minute amount of the snowy-sweetness.

Woah, Scylla's review of the Torture Queen states that it is Snow-Flakes on her from application to drydown, and let me tell you... it smells like Snow-Flakes in the bottle, minus a very minute amount of the snowy-sweetness.

on me, it's more Sea of Glass but much better. The metal note keeps it from Snow-Flakes IMO, and the less sweetness is more than minute with my skin chemistry, which I am the first to admit is weird. :P I really wasn't sure I'd like this one, but I do. It may be a skin-only blend though, rather than locket-able. Many metallic notes are headache-inducing in my scent lockets, but are fine on skin.

I don't know if anyone else is getting this, but Marianne on dry down smells an awful lot like Schezerade on me!

The prototype bottle I tried at Shelldoo's a few months ago was a dead ringer for Scherezade, but with a trace of fruitiness. I'm finding the actual release formulation a bit different - the red musk acts more like Smut on me than Scherezade...

New discoveries:

Tweedledee reminds me a fair deal of Xanthe, the Weeping Clown (and layering with Jailbait could be of use to recreate Xanthe as well)

Bathsheba strikes me as a gentler version of Mme. Moriarty

Victoria and The East both remind me in ways and to an extent of The Oval Portrait

I kinda stumped myself wondering where to post this - LE or discontinueds thread? Because it's an unreleased blend :P Anyway, if you've tried the gorgeous BPAL prototype called Decadence that made the rounds as a frimp a few years ago, you're probably in the majority that hopes it's going to make an appearance at Yule each year or better yet, leap into the GC at some point. It's a delicious spicy, baked-goods-that-non-foodies-can-enjoy kind of scent with a hint of fruit. I was sorting through bottles and dabbling with things this weekend and was struck once again by how similar the TAL Amor is to Decadence on my skin. Amor seems to lack the orange note of Decadence but after you've hung onto an imp of Decadence since early 2005 chances are the orange note has faded a good bit anyway.

Decadence is also a wee bit similar to Fruitcake, yet another unreleased delight - less foodily intense. So if you're one of those Fruitcake fans, Amor could fill a niche for you too. Amor is one of the TALs that's intended for perfume use, so no worries unless you're trying to repel the advances of Pepe Le Pew.

I am totally enthalled with the lovely wet woodiness that is Twisted Oak Tree. Anybody know of any more readily available similar blends? Thank you!

I kinda stumped myself wondering where to post this - LE or discontinueds thread? Because it's an unreleased blend :P Anyway, if you've tried the gorgeous BPAL prototype called Decadence that made the rounds as a frimp a few years ago, you're probably in the majority that hopes it's going to make an appearance at Yule each year or better yet, leap into the GC at some point. It's a delicious spicy, baked-goods-that-non-foodies-can-enjoy kind of scent with a hint of fruit. I was sorting through bottles and dabbling with things this weekend and was struck once again by how similar the TAL Amor is to Decadence on my skin. Amor seems to lack the orange note of Decadence but after you've hung onto an imp of Decadence since early 2005 chances are the orange note has faded a good bit anyway.

Decadence is also a wee bit similar to Fruitcake, yet another unreleased delight - less foodily intense. So if you're one of those Fruitcake fans, Amor could fill a niche for you too. Amor is one of the TALs that's intended for perfume use, so no worries unless you're trying to repel the advances of Pepe Le Pew.

Ivyandpeony, after giving Amor a try after wikkidraven made the same comparison, I totally agree about Decadence and Amor - though to me Amor is a little less spicy than Decadence. It's fantastic in its own right, though, so it's like a double-awesome bonus that it also smells like Decadence!

Help, I have fallen in love with Glowing Vulva. What in the GC has the same amber note? I thought that amber and I would never get along. This stuff seriously reminds me of Indecence, which I had to stop wearing when I had reaction to it. I need to bathe in this amber. HELP! :P

It isn't really a GC, and the notes don't sound like they would be the same, but I find Haloes to be quite similar to Glowing Vulva. I assume it's still available at retail locations?

Pickled Imp reminds me very much of Chimera - hot spicy vanilla!

Edited by Galen