Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Does anyone have any GC suggestions for Riding the Goat? I've fallen in love with the tobacco and the resinous, polished amber feel this has. The Antikythera Mechanism has a somewhat similar 'feel', but I think it's the amber that I love so much in Riding the Goat, and I'm just not sure where else you could find this gorgeous amber.

Does anyone have any GC suggestions for Riding the Goat? I've fallen in love with the tobacco and the resinous, polished amber feel this has. The Antikythera Mechanism has a somewhat similar 'feel', but I think it's the amber that I love so much in Riding the Goat, and I'm just not sure where else you could find this gorgeous amber.

Amber, eh? I can't say I get any at all from Riding the Goat - on me, it's a very deep, polished wood & smoke scent... it reminds me most of the teak from Antikythera/Glowing Vulva layered with Herr Drosselmeyer's pipe-smoke... If you get more amber, perhaps Antikythera with aged Lion, Leo 2007, or Jacob's Ladder - all delicious smooth ambers without a lot of other notes (fruit, florals) to compete...

What GC scents can be layered to/already smell like The Shivering Boy?

Damn I wish The One hadn't turned out to be an LE.....

I was recently frimped Incubus and I find it really reminds me of Red Lantern. It's minty, but otherwise the caramel and tobacco (nicotiana) over dark, sexy musk make it worth trying if you are looking for a GC replacement.

For lovers of Red Moon (the newer one, from '07), you should try The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus. Compared to Red Moon it's a little stripped down, and maybe slightly more cologne-y, but definitely in the same family. In other words, yum. : )

oh, that's a really good call, ForspecialPlate. :P Red Moon 07 ultimately didn't work on me and I am sure it's because of the dragon's blood (anyone who's read a couple of my reviews or comments will eventually hear my bitching about how I love the smell of dragon's blood resin in the bottle but it turns into something sharp and unpleasant on my skin). And I was a little disappointed, it was my birthday moon and I was hoping for a birthday miracle. (Hey, I did get a rockin' t-shirt!) But I love The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus.

The amber, the orange and the florals must be what make them similar - maybe the lilac is what makes the Maltese Cross a little more "cologney" while the florals in Red Moon were more of the wildflower/herbal variety.

What GC scents can be layered to/already smell like The Shivering Boy?

Damn I wish The One hadn't turned out to be an LE.....

I don't think anything else smells like The Shivering Boy :P It's unique to me - I get a grape/wine note, something woody and stemlike which reminds me of ivy, some evergreens, resins and a bit of ozone, but not so much that it dominates and gives me a headache (I am not a fan of scents with strong ozone notes).

But there are lots of possibilities as far as layering. To me TSB wouldn't be what it is without that grapey note, so a blend with grape or wine would be a good place to start. Some possibilities are Bess, Urd, which also has some resins to add, The Blood Garden, which has that woody ivy note, Lady MacBeth, which has green woody thyme with the wine. Off the top of my head I can't think of any cold evergreen scents that aren't LEs, but The Black Forest, Slobbering Pine or The Jersey Devil could be good places to start; if the ozone is strong on you, you could try something like Tempest or Lightning to amp up that element.

If you figure out which element is the strongest one on you and start there, find something that reminds you of it, then work on the next layer, you may end up with something you're happy with. It's kind of a hard one, it's so complex and unusual, but the dabbling can be fun, right?

This is so bizarre! Pumpkin 3 dried down to sugar skull on me. Anyone realise that? Pumpkin 3 morphs a lot. In the beginning, it smelled like Jack but less syrupy. Then the chocolate came out and it was a milder version of one of the 13ths. Now it's sugar skull.

For lovers of Red Moon (the newer one, from '07), you should try The Maltese Cross of Sanctus Germanus. Compared to Red Moon it's a little stripped down, and maybe slightly more cologne-y, but definitely in the same family. In other words, yum. : )

I haven't tried the Maltese Cross, but for me, The Ifrit was VERY similar to Red Moon. When the spices come out on the dry down, it deviates a bit, but overall, very similar. The other main difference is that the Ifrit doesn't have any citrus, but citrus burns away so quickly on my skin that it was a very small difference, to my nose.

This is so bizarre! Pumpkin 3 dried down to sugar skull on me. Anyone realise that? Pumpkin 3 morphs a lot. In the beginning, it smelled like Jack but less syrupy. Then the chocolate came out and it was a milder version of one of the 13ths. Now it's sugar skull.

That makes a lot of sense to me. :P On me, Pumpkin 3 mostly smelled like caramel and ultimately got a little too strong and burnt-sugary for me. (My skin really amps caramel a lot and in some blends takes it over into burnt sugar territory. I remember that happened with La Befana too, even though that one didn't have caramel listed as a note but "candy charcoal." Which kind of sounds like burnt sugar when I think about it now :D But I know that's not what it smelled like on everyone!)

With Sugar Skull, I get a hint of caramel when it's wet but somehow it does work on me. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the sugary notes that Beth uses in blends where she lists "candy" or "sugar" get used in her caramel blends as well.

That makes a lot of sense to me. :P On me, Pumpkin 3 mostly smelled like caramel and ultimately got a little too strong and burnt-sugary for me. (My skin really amps caramel a lot and in some blends takes it over into burnt sugar territory. I remember that happened with La Befana too, even though that one didn't have caramel listed as a note but "candy charcoal." Which kind of sounds like burnt sugar when I think about it now :D But I know that's not what it smelled like on everyone!)

With Sugar Skull, I get a hint of caramel when it's wet but somehow it does work on me. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the sugary notes that Beth uses in blends where she lists "candy" or "sugar" get used in her caramel blends as well.

oh dear I have a bottleof enraged groundhog musk coming my way and it has caramel. I hope it doesnt turn to sugar skull too. Have you tried it?

Gluttony has caramel right? But it turned to smoke on me.

Hmm... I am thinking that Enraged Groundhog Musk could end up being better, and less like Sugar Skull, than Pumpkin 3 was for you, faeriedust - at least on me, the caramel doesn't dominate (which is really rare for me) and it's a nice, slightly spicy chocolate.

I think that the Lab's white chocolate note is not as bold as the chocolate, cocoa and dark chocolate notes they use, so that could be a reason that the chocolate in Pumpkin 3 doesn't stand up as well to the caramel.

(I think you'd probably be able to tell by now if you really amped caramel in a bad way, though :P I realized how bad it was when I tried stuff like Red Lantern, Mitzvah, Sugar Slathered Candy Apple, The Arrival At The Sabbath and basically getting caramel single note from them, with a whiff of burnt sugar. But I really can't complain, there are a million things I can wear, ya know?)

I may be the only one who thinks they are similar, but Kill-Devil reminds me of Mitzvah quite a bit.

Edited by tdiym

I may be the only one who thinks they are similar, but Kill-Devil reminds me of Mitzvah quite a bit.

Hmm! On me, Kill-Devil is mostly Sugar Skull. I think it's got a boozier feel, though.

They aren't the same, of course, but Bordello would be a decent GC substitute for Midwinter's Eve, and I find Dracul is quite similar to Bakeneko. Not quite as gorgeous and complex, but since Bakeneko is hard to come by, it's worth trying!

Edited by Lyrical

Have you lovely smelling ladies come across any GC scents that smell like Nahemoth (a Sephiroth)? I absolutely adore this scent, and have a wee little imp and can't seem to find any more of her. But I'd be willing to try her twin or close relative. Please.

What about Gamaliel? I am having a helluva time finding any. :P It's from the Sephiroth/Qiploth line.

Have you lovely smelling ladies come across any GC scents that smell like Nahemoth (a Sephiroth)? I absolutely adore this scent, and have a wee little imp and can't seem to find any more of her. But I'd be willing to try her twin or close relative. Please.

I'm drawing a blank on Gamaliel (tried it once in a long-ago decant circle but don't remember much about it) - but I have Nahemoth and like it a lot. I find it has a lot in common with Hellion, but that can be very hard to find too. Have you tried Blood Countess? It's got a lot of smoky plum that reminds me of Nahemoth a bit.

What about Gamaliel? I am having a helluva time finding any. :P It's from the Sephiroth/Qiploth line.

Gamaliel reminded me of Eden from the GC a little bit.

Nahemoth reminded me of Hellion too (like ivyandpeony said), but also Red Phoenix. It's not a GC, but I think Red Phoenix is easier to find than Hellion.

Help, I have fallen in love with Glowing Vulva. What in the GC has the same amber note? I thought that amber and I would never get along. This stuff seriously reminds me of Indecence, which I had to stop wearing when I had reaction to it. I need to bathe in this amber. HELP! :P

Is there anything else that smells like Ivanushka? It's not that I need a replacement, I know it's not too rare and I already have a bottle, I just really like it and I'm curious whether any other scents smell similar because I'd like to try them.

Tempest, have you tried The Antikythera Mechanism? It's so similar to Glowing Vulva, not so much on the cream note and with tobacco, but it's damn close. Like a masculine version. It's so delicious.

I agree with Antykithera Mechanism being a LOT like Glowing Vulva. I didn't find it so masculine, but it's probably a wee bit darker than Glowing Vulva, but the creamy wood effect was very similar.

I'm drawing a blank on Gamaliel (tried it once in a long-ago decant circle but don't remember much about it) - but I have Nahemoth and like it a lot. I find it has a lot in common with Hellion, but that can be very hard to find too. Have you tried Blood Countess? It's got a lot of smoky plum that reminds me of Nahemoth a bit.

Nahemoth reminded me of Hellion too (like ivyandpeony said), but also Red Phoenix. It's not a GC, but I think Red Phoenix is easier to find than Hellion.

Thank you!! I'll be adding Hellion and Red Phoenix to my wishlist and hope I get lucky. I do have an imp of Blood Countess, hadn't thought of that but I'll go home and give it a shot. :P

I agree with Antykithera Mechanism being a LOT like Glowing Vulva. I didn't find it so masculine, but it's probably a wee bit darker than Glowing Vulva, but the creamy wood effect was very similar.

Yes, it's nice, but I don't get the amber at all. I tried very unsuccessfully layering it with O. That was gross. I'm having to look outside of BPAL for that immaculate combo of amber, cream, and teak. :P