Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Is there anything that is fairly similar to Mechanical Phoenix? It smells excellent on my younger brother, but it also smells excellent on me, and there is no way I'm giving up my only bottle.

Anything from the new Phoenix Steamworks line, maybe?

I think MP is unisex verging on masculine, with that cologney scent. I ADORE Galvanic Goggles, but it's much more musky and a much 'deeper' scent than MP as well as the resiny balsam, still, I think, worth a shot. And it's to me, much more distinctly masculine so your bro might like it even more, and still has that metallic edge and a lot of 'freshness'. I think it is the most delicious masculine scent I have ever smelled.

Otherwise I think Sea of Glass layered over GG, or possibly over Phoenix Steamworks, might be worth trying.

I am really glad I got two bottles of MP and only gave my ex ONE.

Edited by fairnymph

I ordered Tiki Queen at the last minute, so by the time I received my order and discovered it was my favorite BPAL scent ever, it was too late to order more. :D :D :)

Since in the past I've avoided florals (most smell like old ladies on me), I have no idea what GC scents might come close to the divine Tiki Queen. Also, what do people layer TQ with? I'd like to be able to stretch out my supply as long as possible, since I'm using it up at an alarming rate by slathering it. :P

I'm wearing Haloes today, aged about 6 months, and I'm struck by how similar it is to Glowing Vulva & Antikythera Mechanism... it's lighter than GV, and there's a trace of apricot & lily of the valley at the edges that make it more feminine than Antikythera, but the oak & vanilla mimic GV's teak & creamy amber almost to a T...

(For those who haven't read the reviews or made the inference already, GV & Antikythera are very similar - Antikythera is less thick & cloying, but there's that same vanilla-&-rich wood-what-IS-that response.)

Edited by tartchef

I really love the drydown of "The Phoenix," but I am not so crazy about the top notes (Very sharp and ozoney!) And I know my stash will only last so long...Does the drydown phase remind any of you experts of another blend? (I don't care if its a GC or a more available LE) :P

I'm wearing Haloes today, aged about 6 months, and I'm struck by how similar it is to Glowing Vulva & Antikythera Mechanism... it's lighter than GV, and there's a trace of apricot & lily of the valley at the edges that make it more feminine than Antikythera, but the oak & vanilla mimic GV's teak & creamy amber almost to a T...(For those who haven't read the reviews or made the inference already, GV & Antikythera are very similar - Antikythera is less thick & cloying, but there's that same vanilla-&-rich wood-what-IS-that response.)
Maybe Layer ANtikythera with Tamora???

I just tested galvanic goggles and find it to be very similar to black lace. it starts out different but the dry down is so close. it has that same wonderful smooth tobacco and musk, and there's a vanilla sweetness there that's similar too.

it's not exact but really close. maybe a touch of antique lace and voila, a black lace dupe.

I ordered Tiki Queen at the last minute, so by the time I received my order and discovered it was my favorite BPAL scent ever, it was too late to order more. :D :D :)

Since in the past I've avoided florals (most smell like old ladies on me), I have no idea what GC scents might come close to the divine Tiki Queen. Also, what do people layer TQ with? I'd like to be able to stretch out my supply as long as possible, since I'm using it up at an alarming rate by slathering it. :P

I've never found ANYTHING that smells close to the gorgeousness that is Tiki Queen, but I would love to hear if anyone else has, as well.

Also? This thread has convinced me that I need both Galvanic Goggles and Antikythera Mechanism. And I apparently need a bottle of Antique Lace to layer with everything.

OK, here's a challenge: Can we recreate any of the Snake Pit using Snake Oil layered with something else? I will need this information once the Carnaval leaves!

I just tried Snake Oil + Dorian + Pirate Moon, which is very much like Banded Sea Snake. I think Pirate Moon has one of the exact same moss notes that's in Banded Sea Snake. This combination is close, but not quite there - BSS is a bit deeper and smoother. I may try adding some Robin Goodfellow for the oakmoss note. ETA: A couple hours later, this smells nearly identical to Banded Sea Snake on my skin (I have the layering combination on one wrist and BSS on the other). Success!

Any other ideas? Are there any GCs that smell like one of the Snake Pits without the Snake Oil?

In other Carnaval news, aged Masabakes is a good Priala equivalent in the GC.

Edited by ClareN

I thought I already asked this, but apparently not....

I live in dread of running out of my beloved Crypt Queen. Has anyone come up with something similar enough to keep me from crying when it's gone? I did a search of this thread, and found one recommendation, for Mme. Moriarty. I agree that the Mme. could be a distant relative, but I am hoping that someone can recommend another option.

I live in dread of running out of my beloved Crypt Queen. Has anyone come up with something similar enough to keep me from crying when it's gone?

I wonder if Mme. M and Belladonna together would work?

I've never found ANYTHING that smells close to the gorgeousness that is Tiki Queen, but I would love to hear if anyone else has, as well.

Okay, here's the thing. Vasakasajja (which was released for Lup. 07 but not re-released this year) is very similar to Tiki Queen IMO. I actually put them on yesterday side-by-side and they were different in their phases, but one's drydown was similar to the other's wet phase. I think Vas is more floral in general, and TQ more fruity and bright. Not that this helps you, since Vas may also be hard to find at this point. Sorry. I also think TQ bears a resemblance to Spiked Punch, but again lighter and not as boozy.

That's interesting- I do have a beloved bottle of Vasakasajja (Marked "V" on the top of the cap), but it doesn't remind me at all of Tiki Queen- I loved it because it feels very similar to Chaste Moon to my nose. How odd! I love hearing these recommendations, because it's so interesting to hear how differently things react. :P

That's interesting- I do have a beloved bottle of Vasakasajja (Marked "V" on the top of the cap), but it doesn't remind me at all of Tiki Queen- I loved it because it feels very similar to Chaste Moon to my nose. How odd! I love hearing these recommendations, because it's so interesting to hear how differently things react. :D

But isn't Chaste Moon pineapple and butterscotch? :P

I am trying to find a general catalog scent that is simalar to count dracula. If anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Like a combo of Perversion, Depraved and the March Hare, but without the apricot and coconut. Hmmm...maybe someone has a better suggestion. :P

I am trying to find a general catalog scent that is simalar to count dracula. If anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it. Thanks!

It doesn't smell too far off from my aged imp of Dracul. On the other end of the spectrum, when I first smelled Count Dracula my first impression was that it seemed like a much more subdued and 'polite' version of Port Royal, which is a personal fav.

The closest GC match, IMO, is Smiling Spider. It smells mainly of black musk and clove, which is mainly what Dracula smelled like on me. To get all the woods and leather and such, you'll need to layer something else.

Calico Jack made me think of Dracula at sea. Wood and leather with aquatics and a hint of clove. Layered with Smiling Spider, it could have a nice effect.

BTW, don't forget about the LE to GC comparison thread, which is probably where this post will end up. :P If you search in that thread, you might find some past suggestions.

Edited by naeelah

Any new suggestions on what's similar to Bakeneko? Just discovered it and I love it; my imp's not going to last that long!

The previous suggestions in this thread were Bastet + Shub (I haven't tried Bastet yet, but I think what's missing there is the subtle orange-y/tangerine scent I like so much about Bakeneko) and also Alice + Katharina. I can't do Alice because the rose goes super-powdery on me, and I don't think that would cover for the tea. Anything new?

That's interesting- I do have a beloved bottle of Vasakasajja (Marked "V" on the top of the cap), but it doesn't remind me at all of Tiki Queen- I loved it because it feels very similar to Chaste Moon to my nose. How odd! I love hearing these recommendations, because it's so interesting to hear how differently things react. :D

But isn't Chaste Moon pineapple and butterscotch? :P

Not even a little bit... it's soft (slightly buttery) vanilla over pale, sweet flowers, on me. It's a little bit like a less icy Snow White.

For a Bakeneko approximation, maybe Dorian and Shub, or Dorian and Katharina... but I don't know. That one was quite unique on me. Men Ringing Bell With Penises has the same tea note I remember, but lacks the fruitiness and the throw.

I'm a huge Bakeneko fan, and I don't think Dorian with Shub-Niggurath smells anything like it (although that is a lovely combination anyway). I find that all these scents have a similar note that Bakeneko has (I think it's the amber):

Jacob's Ladder

Chrysanthemum Moon

The Cracked Bell

Famine

Unfortunately those are all LEs, except Famine which is from Good Omens. Jacob's Ladder is the most similar to Bakeneko, so if you can track down a bottle, you need to layer it with something orangey, light spices and tea to recreate Bakeneko. Good luck...

What are the closest catalogue equivalents of Carfax Abbey and Lucy Westenra?

I haven't smelled it yet, but the notes of The Grindhouse and some of the will-call reactions seem like it might be a good replacement for Miss Lucy.