Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I have to chime in with the folks whose skin made these two very different. I adore Underpants--the saffron and sandalwood balance out the sweetness really well. On my skin, however, Love's Philosophy went purely articially-scented vanilla candle. Very sad.

I agree that Underpants and Love's Philosophy are in the same basic 'scent family'. Chemistry of course will be a factor, but I think if you like one it'd be worth it to give the other a try.

On me, LP has a noticeable saffron note at first and then dries down to an incredibly rich and creamy vanilla. The vanilla in Underpants is slightly less sweet to my nose with the sandalwood as a key note, making it drier and a touch dusty.

I would say that LP is much foodier than Underpants. Underpants was sexy, woody vanilla with saffron. LP is sweet, creamy (and a bit plastic on me!) vanilla. Underpants is teh sex whereas LP is a more "innocent" kind of scent. It's like a babydoll dress (LP) versus a body skimming sheath (Underpants).

I have to chime in with the folks whose skin made these two very different. I adore Underpants--the saffron and sandalwood balance out the sweetness really well. On my skin, however, Love's Philosophy went purely articially-scented vanilla candle. Very sad.

This was my experience, too. Underpants is soft, sexy, and vanilla-sandalwoody on me, but LP was very artificial-smelling. There were apparently batch differences, too. The stuff I initially tried on was from the batch that had more saffron in it, thus making it a wintergreeny vanilla, almost medicinal. Fortunately, the bottle I'd bought (unsniffed, at the time) had more vanilla in it, but it was still an artificial vanilla frosting smell, not a soft, creamy vanilla smell. I'm a dessert foodie, so I will definitely use it, but I have to prepare myself for the frosting smell, not the Underpants smell I was expecting.

Normally in this situation, I'd say see if you can try it out first before you buy a bottle of it, but I think enough people liked this one that you could probably sell it if you don't like it. You might love it, though!

I'm in the camp that loves Underpants and really likes LP.

For me, Underpants is very complex - if you pushed me to classify it as a vanilla scent, I would, but there's so much more going on with it. The sweetness is balanced nicely with the sandalwood, it's very deep and sexy.

On the other hand, I'd need no pushing to classify LP as a vanilla scent. It's a lighter, creamier vanilla ice cream scent. Saffron can be sort of medicinal to my nose at times, but I don't find it to be so in LP - instead it gives the vanilla a unique twist.

If you have the opportunity to add both to your collection without selling a kidney to get the Underpants, you should go for it - you should have no problem swapping either for something that suits you better if you decide you don't like it. Underpants is holy-grail popular but LP ain't chopped liver, it has plenty of fans.

I'll just chime in to agree with everything that has been said.

LP is a strong, sweet, pure vanilla. The saffron can be a bit sharp in some bottles, but it fades away as it dries.

Underpants is much softer. It smells similar in the bottle -- like vanilla cake -- but on the skin, it's much gentler and less sweet. You can definitely smell the wood. FWIW, I don't really wear pure vanilla scents, so I swapped away LP, but I loved Underpants. (Except for the part where my skin ruins sandalwood -- but it was great while it lasted.)

If you love vanilla and loved Underpants, then LP is definitely worth trying! If you don't like it, I'm sure you'll be able to sell or swap it again. You might also look for Opuhi, which is one of the recent Tiki scents, because some people described the vanilla in that as being very similar to Underpants. (ETA: I've received my bottle of Opuhi, and the vanilla is VERY Underpants-like.)

Edited by naeelah

Any thoughts about a replacement for Cheshire Moon when I run out? I get mostly cake and cream, plus orange sauce.

I was thinking Hunger plus Cockaigne and a little Milk Moon? What else could I use for the cream note?

I'm in the minority of people who didn't like Underpants. It was NICE, but nothing that I wanted to sell my soul for. I don't do well with sandalwood, however. Love's Philosophy, though, has a really rich cream soda scent to it and it's on my top 10 list of LE's. So... I don't think they're similar at all. I do think Tombstone is really close to Love's Philosophy, if you've tried it.
Tombstone is a huge morpher on me, but the ending drying down is the most beautiful vanilla and I love it. But the first hour of it really isn't good on me (the cedar turns almost vinegary on me. My dh is always shocked how much it changes on me). If you think LP is close to that vanilla in Tombstone, I'll be in love. Thank you so much for letting me know. Now, I'm really excited about getting LP!
I would say that LP is much foodier than Underpants. Underpants was sexy, woody vanilla with saffron. LP is sweet, creamy (and a bit plastic on me!) vanilla. Underpants is teh sex whereas LP is a more "innocent" kind of scent. It's like a babydoll dress (LP) versus a body skimming sheath (Underpants).
I'll agree to that. Underpants is a very sexy vanilla and I am always looking for something similar. I'm hoping that LP has a similar drydown to Tombstone's vanilla and I'll be happy with that. But I am still looking for that sexy vanilla. I think it's the wood that i love so much in Underpants but, I only a drop left in my imp. Gotta find something to replace it with!

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'll let you know how LP works out. It might not be as sexy as UP but based on what everyone said, I think I'm going to like it. Thanks so much!

Edited by vanillaoakmoxy

I saw that some people noted some resemblances between these Tikis and some GC scents:

Moana smells kind of like 51

Marae smells kind of like Euphrosyne

Anyone else notice any similarities between the Tikis and any of the GCs?

Hmm, Vixen from Ars Amatoria smells a bit like Smut and a bit like Mme. Moriarty, too, - at least to me.

Anactoria smells quite similar to Black Lace- sweet musk. It lacks the tobacco and that hint of vanilla, though.

I'm wearing Sailors Den today & noticed that on me it is reminiscent of Black Lace. (I know SD isn't exactly a GC, but hey, it's easier to get than BL. hehe)

I missed out on last year's Carnival series, but have heard so many great things about Snake Charmer that I just have to try it, or something close to it (considering what high prices it is going for on eBay).

Are there any oils in the Snake Pit or general catalog scents that smell especially similar to Snake Charmer? Recommendations would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Check out page 35 of the LE to GC comparison thread, and you'll find that this was just in discussion. :P

I no longer have my bottle of Anactoria to compare side by side, but Nanny Ashtoreth strikes me as being VERY similar. It has a lot of leather, which Anactoria doesn't have, but Nanny has the same strong musky vibe with hints of honey and berries. (Which is unusual, since musk is not listed in the notes -- maybe there's an unlisted note, maybe some of the bouquet components of a certain musk are in this, so it's familiar to the nose. I don't know.) The leather and florals in Nanny takes the place of the grasses and palm in Anactoria -- both give a similar sense of dryness.

Edited by naeelah

I saw that some people noted some resemblances between these Tikis and some GC scents:

Moana smells kind of like 51

Marae smells kind of like Euphrosyne

Anyone else notice any similarities between the Tikis and any of the GCs?

One day I wore Upa Upa and kept thinking "Mmm, Sed Non Satiata sure smells good today" and then remembering that wasn't what I had on. Which is weird because the notes are completely different. I can't explain it.

I missed out on last year's Carnival series, but have heard so many great things about Snake Charmer that I just have to try it, or something close to it (considering what high prices it is going for on eBay).

Are there any oils in the Snake Pit or general catalog scents that smell especially similar to Snake Charmer? Recommendations would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Check out page 35 of the LE to GC comparison thread, and you'll find that this was just in discussion. :P

In addition, you can go to the top right of the page and enter the word "charmer" in the search box to get a concise list of all the mentions Snake Charmer has received in this thread - much easier than trying to read all 36 (or however many this number grows to in the future) pages. It's been a topic of conversation a few times, so many people love it!

Edited by ivyandpeony

I found Temple Viper to be pretty similar to Snake Chamer, but then I really amp labdanum, plum, and other sweet resin and fruity smells (which means Bathsheba smelled pretty identical to Snake Charmer on me, only with the addition of carnation).... the discontinued Nahemoth was also pretty similar, except for the traces of rose.

I spilled my bottle of Hellion and I am quite sad as it is my #1 favorite scent... can anyone suggest some close substitutes? I did get a few suggestions from the lab: Mme. Moriarty, Blood Countess, Bathsheba, and Bordello. Of those I have tried Bordello and like it, but I miss the "burnt" scent from Hellion (which I assume is from the scorched sandalwood note). Any other suggestions would be appreciated - I'm planning on ordering from the lab soon and want to get some imps of things that might work in place of Hellion.

I spilled my bottle of Hellion and I am quite sad as it is my #1 favorite scent... can anyone suggest some close substitutes? I did get a few suggestions from the lab: Mme. Moriarty, Blood Countess, Bathsheba, and Bordello. Of those I have tried Bordello and like it, but I miss the "burnt" scent from Hellion (which I assume is from the scorched sandalwood note). Any other suggestions would be appreciated - I'm planning on ordering from the lab soon and want to get some imps of things that might work in place of Hellion.

I think Nahemoth from the Sephiroth category is similar. Unfortunately it's discontinued, but it should be a little easier to find than Hellion.

I'm wearing The Antikythera Mechanism today & the dry down, when the vanilla & tobacco show up, is very similar to the vanilla & tobacco in Black Lace.

Is there anything that is fairly similar to Mechanical Phoenix? It smells excellent on my younger brother, but it also smells excellent on me, and there is no way I'm giving up my only bottle.

Anything from the new Phoenix Steamworks line, maybe?

I've discovered that on me, Fae smells A LOT like Ebisu Making Love as Two Octopuses Look on. Yay! I liked too many salons and didn't end up buying all of them, one of them being Ebisu. Now I can haz Ebisu-like Fae from GC. :P

Is there anything that is fairly similar to Mechanical Phoenix? It smells excellent on my younger brother, but it also smells excellent on me, and there is no way I'm giving up my only bottle.

I think you've got the right idea, perhaps give Phoenix Steamworks a try? To me it has a slightly different vibe than Mechanical Phoenix (I think Mechanical Phoenix is a bit more bold and cologne-like), but even if they're not twins, they're certainly siblings. If I remember correctly a few of the reviews of Steamworks mentioned similarities and made comparisons between the two, which could be helpful as well.

I think you've got the right idea, perhaps give Phoenix Steamworks a try? To me it has a slightly different vibe than Mechanical Phoenix (I think Mechanical Phoenix is a bit more bold and cologne-like), but even if they're not twins, they're certainly siblings. If I remember correctly a few of the reviews of Steamworks mentioned similarities and made comparisons between the two, which could be helpful as well.

Steamworks is more androgynous, but similar. The main thing missing is the aftershave effect. perhaps layering Steamworks with a touch of Vicomte de Valmonte?

Actually, I suggest Robotic scarab, which is fairly close.

Edited by Gwydion