Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Hiya! Happy Admin Day! My boss forgot as usual. /sigh

Anyway, I have searched through the topics looking for a GC Milk Moon 07 :P and am only coming up with suggestions for Milk Moon 05, which from what I gather smells different. Does anyone know of a scent that matches the warm yummy fruity goodness of MM07? It is my FAVORITE, wrap me in a blanket, make me feel safe and content, scent and I am running out. :D I should probably mention that I only wear it in a locket and sniff it all day. :D

HELP!

Hiya! Happy Admin Day! My boss forgot as usual. /sigh

Anyway, I have searched through the topics looking for a GC Milk Moon 07 :P and am only coming up with suggestions for Milk Moon 05, which from what I gather smells different. Does anyone know of a scent that matches the warm yummy fruity goodness of MM07? It is my FAVORITE, wrap me in a blanket, make me feel safe and content, scent and I am running out. :D I should probably mention that I only wear it in a locket and sniff it all day. :D

HELP!

I see that blend for sale on a lot of Sales pages usually, so I don't think it's too hard to find.

I didn't like the blend, but I found the milk in Obatala was very similar to that note in MM 07. If I remember correctly, there were also grapes and tropical fruits in there... I'm not sure what you could use to mix with Obatala to add those notes (I generally stay away from grapey or pineappley scents).

I find that the fresh figgyness of Milk Moon 07 is pretty prominent in Strangler Fig. It's not as warm, but it's just as fresh smelling to my nose.

Thanks Delirium! I am going shopping on the sales pages now. I am also getting a lists of imps I want to try out hoping to find something I like as much. So far I have White Rabbit and Obatala. I want to get Cheshire Cat just for fun. =)

If you can't find it there, try keeping an eye on e-bay. it shows up there a lot.

Imp (Diabolus) reminds me a bunch of Smut! (I've only tried 06 year fyi)

Gennivre (Carnival Diabolique) reminds me of Litha.

Persephone (Excolo) reminds me of Libra 07.

Kali (Excolo) has the same rose note as Peacock Queen 07, but is much more complex.

The Apothecary (Illyria) reminds me of Ebisu.

51 (Wanderlust) reminds me of Pollution (Good Omens).

Tweedledee (Mad Tea Party) reminds me of a less foody version of Diary of a Lovestruck Cannibal.

Robin Goodfellow (Illyria) reminds me of Buck Moon.

Sea of Glass reminds me of Archangel Winter.

Edited by fairnymph

After reading so many reviews, Snake Charmer is one I would love to try. Unfortunately, when it is on Ebay, my budget just can't go that high and I am not that great on bidding. My heart starts beating out of control.

Any similar scens that are more readily available??

Thanks,

Denise

Just off the top of my head, I'd recommend Death Adder and Madame Moriarty, both from Carnaval Diabolique. They have some similarities but are also totally different scents! Death Adder reminds me a lot of Snake Charmer but it's less sweet and more earthy.

Of course, Snake Oil also reminds me of Snake Charmer. I'd say that if you really like Snake Oil, you have a little idea of what Snake Charmer smells like.

There are probably other scents that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. But I think it's safe to say Snake Charmer is pretty much one-of-a-kind (and that's why so many people want it!).

I always think that Snake Charmer smells like a mix of O and Snake Oil. You can't go wrong with Snake Oil anyway...cept those weirdos that don't like it :P :D :D

Edited by TofuWarrior

Imp (Diabolus) reminds me a bunch of Smut! (I've only tried 06 year fyi)

Gennivre (Salon) reminds me of Litha.

Persephone (Excolo) reminds me of Libra 07.

Kali (Excolo) has the same rose note as Peacock Queen 07, but is much more complex.

The Apothecary (Illyria) reminds me of Ebisu.

51 (Wanderlust) reminds me of Pollution (retail).

Tweedledee (Mad Tea Party) reminds me of a less foody version of Diary of a Lovestruck Cannibal.

Robin Goodfellow (Illyria) reminds me of Buck Moon.

Sea of Glass reminds me of Archangel Winter.

A couple of quick corrections, if I may :D Gennivre is from Carnaval Diabolique and Pollution is from the Good Omens collection.

And a comment on the one I know of: Persephone and Libra may be in the same scent family, but for me Persephone is a whole lot more wearable. The rose from Libra still has a hit out on me, I think. :P Also, I need to check out Imp because IIRC, there's no red musk in it, and it may be something in the Smut family I can actually wear!

When I first tried BPAL, this past November, I was one of those weirdos. I got an imp of Snake Oil and ended up giving it away. Then my taste broadened and I really love it now. I know everyone says it gets better with age, but I use it now and ended up ordering a bottle(awaiting it's arrival).

Is there any possibility of releasing Snake Charmer again?

Denise

yeah, SC is pretty much unique. Nahemoth of the now discontinued Qliphoth line reminded many of Snake Charmer.

I would also reiterate Mme Moriarty and Snake Oil. I'd also add anaconda (not that that helps any since it's insanely hard to come by) Ravenous, or Eat Me. I thought that the vanilla in Lady Una was similar to that in Snake Charmer.

In the same family or type of scent, I would also include Mum Moon, Dark Delicacies, Temple Viper, Vixen, Xiuhtechtli, Event Horizon, Voodoo Queen, and there was a great cry in Egypt, and Venom.

Cockaigne VERY SIMILAR to Spring Training 2008.

If you liked Cockaigne - you need to snag a bottle of the Trading Post's ST 2008 - It's not as intense (it doesn't have that sharp boozy scent) but it is very close!!! :P

Edited by gysysingleton

When I first tried BPAL, this past November, I was one of those weirdos. I got an imp of Snake Oil and ended up giving it away. Then my taste broadened and I really love it now. I know everyone says it gets better with age, but I use it now and ended up ordering a bottle(awaiting it's arrival).

Is there any possibility of releasing Snake Charmer again?

Denise

It's hard to have the patience to age Snake Oil - I am one of the people who likes it both brand new and ancient and in between, so if you do too, just use your bottle and enjoy. If you want to age a bottle, order one and stick a label on the top with the date on it, then put it in the back of a drawer for a while and take a sniff in a couple of months. And you'll never have trouble swapping away or selling a bottle of aged Snake Oil so if you find that you don't like it or have too much on your hands, there's an easy out.

As far as Snake Charmer ever being released again, there's just no way to tell, but here's the lowdown on when and how the Lab has reissued the retired LEs that have reappeared temporarily.

Since 2005, the Lab has resurrected anywhere from one to seven discontinued scents and offered them as LEs to commemorate its anniversary in November - but of all those scents, only one was originally a limited edition (Midway, in 2007) - so LEs coming back for that event are very rare. The rest have been general catalog blends that had been discontinued.

The LE series that spawned Snake Charmer, Carnaval Noir, actually returned for a short period of time, the first & only LE series that's done so (it originally ran from June through September 2005, then returned for a very brief run in April 2006). If the Lab were to re-run an LE series again, it seems to me that CN would be low on the list since it's already been done, another "odds against Snake Charmer" factor.

Most of the blends from the Springtime In Arkham LE Series, from the spring of 2005, surprised us all when they came back as additions to the permanent catalog the next year, also a first & only event. I don't think any other LEs have made it into the general catalog but if I am forgetting something, I am sure someone will remind me!

Finally, there are the LEs that have appeared multiple times, but they are usually seasonal ones that return as the occasion rolls around the next time, anything from Beltane to Halloween blends to 13 to Yule blends - sometimes they're the same formula, sometimes reformulated (the lab is usually clear on that, using the same description if the notes are the same, listing tweaks if they've changed some things).

There's a thread here that discusses why LEs are limited that may shed some light on things, too.

A couple of quick corrections, if I may :D Gennivre is from Carnaval Diabolique and Pollution is from the Good Omens collection.

And a comment on the one I know of: Persephone and Libra may be in the same scent family, but for me Persephone is a whole lot more wearable. The rose from Libra still has a hit out on me, I think. :P Also, I need to check out Imp because IIRC, there's no red musk in it, and it may be something in the Smut family I can actually wear!

Oooh, you are exactly right, I'll go back and edit that! You'd think 'artiste du diable' would make one recall CD, but alas! Thanks for catching that. :D

On me, persephone and libra share the same ratio of rose to fruit, with a maybe 70% rose bias - but then I amp rose like no tomorrow.

Imp didn't smell like red musk IMO - the only listed musk is 'golden' - but it felt very dark and smutty to me!

Cockaigne VERY SIMILAR to Spring Training 2008.

If you liked Cockaigne - you need to snag a bottle of the Trading Post's ST 2008 - It's not as intense (it doesn't have that sharp boozy scent) but it is very close!!! :P

You inspired me to retry Cockaigne and you know what it reminds me of? Pinched with Four aces. It's not got the same dry cinnamon note, it has a foody one instead and there is more of a peanut scent, but they are very similar to me. I'm very happy because I like it better and it's GC.

I agree that Snake Charmer is pretty unique. I've tried to find a substitute, to no avail.

I think the closest readily available scent to Snake Charmer is Boomslang. Obviously SC doesn't have that chocolate note, but for many people, the cocoa fades away and it just smells like a deeper, richer Snake Oil. Which is basically what Snake Charmer smells like on me. SC has a creaminess, which Boomslang has from the rice milk. They're not identical, but in a world without Snake Charmer, I think Boomslang fills the same niche.

YMMV, of course, but in general, I'd recommend trying out the snake pit and seeing how close a match you can get. I thought that Australian Copperhead might smell similar, but it's a LOT lighter than SC.

For the most exact match, you'll probably need to layer. I don't know any combos, but you could try something like Boomslang or Temple Viper and Death Adder (for the black coconut).

There's little chance of Snake Charmer ever coming back. We got Midway this year, so who knows if she'll ever resurrect anything else from Carnaval Noir. It's so well loved that maybe she'll have mercy and bring it back for an anniversary. (Every year, one discontinued LE is revived. If we don't get it for that anniversary, we'll probably never get it.)

Marae smells quite a lot like Euphrosyne on me.

Anactoria smells quite similar to Black Lace- sweet musk. It lacks the tobacco and that hint of vanilla, though.

There's little chance of Snake Charmer ever coming back. We got Midway this year, so who knows if she'll ever resurrect anything else from Carnaval Noir. It's so well loved that maybe she'll have mercy and bring it back for an anniversary. (Every year, one discontinued LE is revived. If we don't get it for that anniversary, we'll probably never get it.)

The anniversaries actually are usually blends that were discontinued from the catalog- Midway was a (welcome) anomoly. :P

curlykitty, have you tried Eden? It's more coconutty, but overall I think it's pretty similar.

I find that while Vice isn't the same as MB:Bloody Mary, it has some of the same creamy cherry gorgeousness and would probably make a decent substitute.

I was looking at the descriptions for both MB: Underpants and Love's Philosophy and was wondering if someone could tell me how those scents compare to each other. They seem to have some similar notes and the reviews I was reading made them seem like they could be similar. I'm thinking of buying a bottle of Love's Philosophy based on the notes and the fact that I really liked Underpants. Opinions? Thanks in advance for any help!

Love's Philosophy and Underpants are definitely in the same scent family. Except that Underpants, ehrem...has more wood. :P

I think that they are both lovely in their own right. If you dig Underpants, LP should make you happy as well. LP has a bit more saffron to my nose but it doesn't present as harsh or overly dry.

LP is a good bit sweeter than Underpants on me, which makes me like it less. Which one you prefer, if you have a preference, is going to depend on what they do with your body chemistry. :P

I'm in the minority of people who didn't like Underpants. It was NICE, but nothing that I wanted to sell my soul for. I don't do well with sandalwood, however.

Love's Philosophy, though, has a really rich cream soda scent to it and it's on my top 10 list of LE's. So... I don't think they're similar at all. I do think Tombstone is really close to Love's Philosophy, if you've tried it.