Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

wow...i just got an imp of y'ha-nthlei and to my nose, it is selkie's GC sister. both soft, slightly sweet aquatics. though i still have some selkie left, i'm definitely upgrading to a bottle of y'ha-nthlei in the near future...after i'm finished wiping clean my bank account with the next big update :P

wow...i just got an imp of y'ha-nthlei and to my nose, it is selkie's GC sister. both soft, slightly sweet aquatics. though i still have some selkie left, i'm definitely upgrading to a bottle of y'ha-nthlei in the near future...after i'm finished wiping clean my bank account with the next big update :P

This is on my bottle short list also. I didn't like aquatic notes much, really, until Beth and her magic lab entered my life! I'm even discovering some blend with a small (very, very small) mint note which not only don't make me sick, but that I actually like (Moon of Ice, for example).

I thought Earth Rat smelled a LOT like Yemaya (I think this was the one...must consult notes...)

I'm just getting around to trying my Lupercalia scents, and "The Passionate Shepherd to his Love" reminds me a lot of Envy. "Shepherd" is a bit sweeter and more floral, but the herbals are definitely similar.

And speaking of Envy, I also find it to be a decent replacement for "The Oblation". It doesn't have the fruitiness or quite the hit of lavender, but again, the herbals are similar.

Oddly, I don't find "The Passionate Shepherd" and "Oblation" to have much in common at all. "Shepherd" is much more subtle and sweet in a floral way where "Oblation" is fruity and sharp.

i love both passionate shepherd and envy. i think another suitable replacement for passionate shepherd in the GC may be garden path with chickens. the shep has a more floral greenness whereas the path is more like a spicy herbal greenness, but they're definitely in the same family...green, fresh, happy outdoors :P

does anybody know a good substitution for Lunar Eclipse and Cheshire Moon? my decants came after they came down and both of them turn to pure love on me and I want to find something similar in the GC.

Does anyone know what the GC equivalent of Hanami is? :P I love Hanami and really want to find something similar that I can turn to once it's gone. Thanks so much!!

does anybody know a good substitution for Lunar Eclipse and Cheshire Moon? my decants came after they came down and both of them turn to pure love on me and I want to find something similar in the GC.

Can't help with Lunar Eclipse, but the floral aspect of Cheshire Moon reminds me so much of The Unicorn, a misty, ethereal white floral scent. I'm not sure how to add the cake-y note without adding other notes as well.

I thought Earth Rat smelled a LOT like Yemaya (I think this was the one...must consult notes...)

yep, it totally does. even when i sniff my bottles side by side they are incredibly close. yummy melon goodness.

Ok, I don't know if this counts because even though it's not GC, it IS still available. I noticed the other day that Mme.Moriarty , at least on me, smells an awful lot like Crypt Queen. The MM I was wearing was about 5/6 months old. I'll do more testing, maybe a side by side comparison, but it was almost dead on.

Ok, I don't know if this counts because even though it's not GC, it IS still available. I noticed the other day that Mme.Moriarty , at least on me, smells an awful lot like Crypt Queen. The MM I was wearing was about 5/6 months old. I'll do more testing, maybe a side by side comparison, but it was almost dead on.

I think it's very helpful to post when you find a not-so-rare, or even a still-available LE (like Mme Moriarity) that resembles a harder to find one. So it counts! Be sure to share when you find time to do a side-by-side comparison, too.

I think it's very helpful to post when you find a not-so-rare, or even a still-available LE (like Mme Moriarity) that resembles a harder to find one. So it counts! Be sure to share when you find time to do a side-by-side comparison, too.

Doing it now. The CQ is a bit sweeter, but there is still a very strong resemblance. I think it could be the combo of pomegranate, plum and patchouli in both that makes them similar. Than again, I could be wrong. And, it could just be my chemistry that makes these two smell similar. I'd love to know if anyone else gets this with these two.

ETA...Now I wonder if it's just me and I have a wacky sense of smell. I just asked my Dad's opinion and he said they smelled nothing alike. :P

Edited by strangemodegirl

Any GC that reminds you of Butterflies and Plovers? Looking for a good orange/citrus and patchouli combo. :P Thanks!

When I tried Butterflies and Plovers, I thought immediately of Imp...

Devilishly playful: white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli.

ETA...Now I wonder if it's just me and I have a wacky sense of smell. I just asked my Dad's opinion and he said they smelled nothing alike. :P

If it was my dad? (or my husband) I would trust my own sense of smell! :D My husband has about four things that he says perfumes smell like: baby powder, cookies, an old lady and patchouli. At least that's when he doesn't like them very much, otherwise he'll say, "Oh, that one's nice."

If it was my dad? (or my husband) I would trust my own sense of smell! :D My husband has about four things that he says perfumes smell like: baby powder, cookies, an old lady and patchouli. At least that's when he doesn't like them very much, otherwise he'll say, "Oh, that one's nice."

Mine has about 3 replies when asked for his opinion on my smell choices:

1) Okay

2) Ugh

3) smells like carp dough (this is not a good thing, it means icky sweet/imitation vanilla flavoring smell)

I've just about given up asking his opinion, and just waiting to see if he smells and smiles instead.

To keep this on topic, does anyone else think Jezirat al Tennyn reminds them of Singing Moon, or is it just me?

Here are some LE to GC similarities I've noted:

Clémence / Clemence ---> Port Royal (and kinda sorta similar to Dracul and Voodoo)

Monsterbait: Ventriloquist Dummy ---> Tiresias, the Androgyne or The Arrival at the Sabbath and Homage to the Devil

Spirits of the Dead ---> Sudha Segara

Sagittarius (2007) ---> Nemesis

The Pit & the Pendulum ---> Anne Bonny, Penitence, or Cathedral

Chanukkiyah (2007), Sugar Skull (2007) ---> Kill-Devil

Leo (2007) ---> Bastet or Anubis

Archangel Winter ---> Lightning, Tempest, or Szepasszony

October ---> Samhainophobia (these are both LEs, but one might be easier to find)

Graveyard Dirt ---> The Premature Burial (again, these are both LEs, but The Premature Burial is much easier to find)

Lenore ---> Devil's Claw

Edited by Apple

Does anyone know what the GC equivalent of Hanami is? :P I love Hanami and really want to find something similar that I can turn to once it's gone. Thanks so much!!

Do you knw what it is about Hanami that makes you love it? To me I was reminded of 51, but they don't really smell alike. They both have florals and fruits that balance in a way similar to more commercial perfumes. If it's the asian notes you crave, there are a few of those in the Salon section. If I were you I'd start looking around for decants on the swaps/sales forums. Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree is different, but has a nice cherry blossom.

Doing it now. The CQ is a bit sweeter, but there is still a very strong resemblance. I think it could be the combo of pomegranate, plum and patchouli in both that makes them similar. Than again, I could be wrong. And, it could just be my chemistry that makes these two smell similar. I'd love to know if anyone else gets this with these two.

They smell very distinct on me -- definitely couldn't mistake one for the other -- but I would definitely put them in the same general category of scent. So, if you like one, you'll probably like the other. And you never know what your skin chemistry will do, so I'd say it's worth a try!

The main difference is that CQ has a major "dank" quality that MM lacks. That slightly aquatic, earthy mossiness. (And there's also the rose.) MM was more rich musk and less dank. :P If you wanted to replicate CQ, maybe you could layer a "crypt" kind of scent over MM. I don't wear crypt-like scents so I can't think of anything to recommend -- maybe Zombi?

Do you knw what it is about Hanami that makes you love it? To me I was reminded of 51, but they don't really smell alike. They both have florals and fruits that balance in a way similar to more commercial perfumes. If it's the asian notes you crave, there are a few of those in the Salon section. If I were you I'd start looking around for decants on the swaps/sales forums. Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree is different, but has a nice cherry blossom.

I think I love the soft mix of florals and hint of fruits. I tried Spirit of the Komachi Tree - but ended up with no florals. :D I also love the floral mix of Blooming Moon and Queen Mab, and like the softness of Sea of Tranquility, if that helps at all. I'm pretty new to BPAL and am so, so, so very open to suggestions. I loved Hanami so much that I stalked the swap/sales and ended up with 4 bottles of it. :D

Antique Lace layered with a touch of Perversion is awfully close to Black Lace. Not exact but close enough so that when my Black Lace runs dry I'll have something that still smells damn good.

For some reason, Intrique smells very similar to Love's Philosophy on my skin. :P

The Lantern Ghost of Oiwa smells a lot like Men Ringing Bell with Penises to me... except maybe a tiny bit more perfume-y and a bit of soft mint. It has a very similar feel though IMO. It's not that much cheaper, but it's easier to get now that Men Ringing Bell is gone.

wow...i just got an imp of y'ha-nthlei and to my nose, it is selkie's GC sister. both soft, slightly sweet aquatics. though i still have some selkie left, i'm definitely upgrading to a bottle of y'ha-nthlei in the near future...after i'm finished wiping clean my bank account with the next big update :D

I totally agree with you when Y'ha-nthlei's in the imp, but the aquatic notes in it are very oily & heavy on my skin - once it starts to dry down, the two are vastly different, IME... Stellans beware! :P

Can't help with Lunar Eclipse, but the floral aspect of Cheshire Moon reminds me so much of The Unicorn, a misty, ethereal white floral scent. I'm not sure how to add the cake-y note without adding other notes as well.

I too love Cheshire Moon, and although I havn't sniffed the Unicorn OR Eat Me, I'm wondering if Eat Me, The Unicorn, and Cheshire Cat could be layered or blended together to get something similar, since Eat Me has the cakey/vanilla, Unicorn has the floral, and Cheshire Cat has the fruit.. I think I'm going to try it out once I get some more imps. It might not work or be exactly the same.. but would proabably be yummy!

So, I got a bottle of Cheshire Moon, and I ADORE the way it smells in the bottle. It's a nice scent on, but not what I wanted/expected. I'd like to layer something with Fire Pig to get a similar scent, but I can't think of anything that is just cream and that cakey smell...

Any ideas?

captainoats, here was one suggestion from just up the thread a little bit:

I too love Cheshire Moon, and although I havn't sniffed the Unicorn OR Eat Me, I'm wondering if Eat Me, The Unicorn, and Cheshire Cat could be layered or blended together to get something similar, since Eat Me has the cakey/vanilla, Unicorn has the floral, and Cheshire Cat has the fruit.. I think I'm going to try it out once I get some more imps. It might not work or be exactly the same.. but would proabably be yummy!

A shortcut you can try to search longer threads (you may not find much for this particular search since Cheshire Moon's fairly new, but I like to throw this hint out every so often for newer members) - when you are in a big ole thread like this one and want to find just the posts where a certain term has been mentioned, go to the search box at the top right of the page. The default on most skins is set to search the current topic that you are in, so you can just type in a term and get all the posts that mention it. It can be very helpful for this thread, the GC similarities thread, the discons thread and the Lush thread - even the longer threads about certain popular notes like vanilla or rose.

Edited by ivyandpeony