Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

The vetiver kills Blood Kiss for me. :P

I love Red Phoenix though. The only similar scents I can think of are LE, and Blood Moon can be hard to find these days. But Alone was re-released with the Poe scents at Dark Delicacies very recently. I think there's a possibility that they share a patchouli note or that there's an unlisted drop of cardamom in RP and Blood Moon that I pick up.

Not a GC, but if anyone is looking for a smell-alike for Milk Moon 05, Love's Philosophy is almost dead on to my nose, just a wee spicier.

Since MM is my ultimate comfort scent, I'm highly pleased by this development.

Tanin'iver is definitely the closest GC scent I've found to Red Phoenix. I'm wearing both of them now to compare. Although, bizarrely, Tanin'iver is smelling more like the Red Phoenix I remember than Red Phoenix does... I guess my bottle is quite old by now, and it's a bit less fruity than it used to be. Now that they've dried down they smell very similar, the main difference seems to be the tobacco in RP.

I would classify Midnight Kiss as the same general "type" of scent but I find it's dominated by the cocoa and blood wine note, which is quite different to the spicy incense with red fruit that is my main impression of both Tanin'iver and Red Phoenix.

I find Bordello VERY similar to Midwinter's Eve - they're both sweet (but not over-ripe) plummy goodness. If anything, Midwinter's Eve is a touch lighter

This is kind of an LE to LE combination, but..

GypsyRoseRed suggested layering Anactoria and Antique Lace to replicate Black Lace. I gave it a try, so here are my findings.

For me, Anactoria isn't nearly musky enough. It's mostly smooth amber. So AL mostly just adds violets and sugary vanilla.

The combination has a distinct similarity to Black Lace but it's not an exact match. Black Lace has a very distinctive dry cognac cotton musk that I'm finding hard to replicate.

I'd say "close, but no cigar", so it's worth trying on your own skin to see how it works out. If Anactoria is more dry musk in your skin (or if AL has more linens), you might have a closer match.

That was me, silly! :P (Unless GRR also suggested it, in which case shut my mouth!) I was just popping in here to mention it, but you beat me to it. Sorry it didn't quite work for you. I'm going to make my friend bring the imp of AL that I gave her the next time we meet for coffee so I can try it on myself.

That was me, silly!

:P Oh, was it? Sorry. I thought I responded to a GRR post, but maybe I'm thinking of something else. :D

I probably do this all the time. Maybe from now on I should credit everything to "a brilliant forumite". Or Papow. :D

I've found that Cloister Graveyard in the Snow shares some commonalities with Ice Queen. It's not the same, but as a single blend, its the one that has come the closest on me.

I am going to attempt layering Nuclear Winter with Old Moon and see what I get. Will report later.

Archangel Winter was a milder version of Sea of Glass to me. Other than not being as strong, I find them identical.

51 reminds me of Kindly Moon. Not identical, but if you're a KM fan, you've got to try 51.

On me, To Helen smells remarkably like a slightly sweeter Versailles. Both have amber and roses, so this makes some sense.

On the subject of my dear, sweet love, Sleepy Moon: there's really no substitute for it, but Belle Epoque is sort of like Sleepy Moon's more girly, less deep younger sister.

I just put on Sea of Glass and it smells like Archangel Winter on me.

ETA: someone else already said this...sorry!

Edited by Betsy

I just put on Sea of Glass and it smells like Archangel Winter on me.

ETA: someone else already said this...sorry!

No need to be sorry - I think it's good to hear when more than one person agrees on a comparison like this, especially when you both come up with it independently. I haven't smelled Sea of Glass in ages but I really loved Archangel Winter, it was one of my favorite Yule blends from last year. So I'm definitely looking forward to trying Sea of Glass again.

On me, To Helen smells remarkably like a slightly sweeter Versailles. Both have amber and roses, so this makes some sense.

On the subject of my dear, sweet love, Sleepy Moon: there's really no substitute for it, but Belle Epoque is sort of like Sleepy Moon's more girly, less deep younger sister.

I freakin Love this thread!!!!!!! coldandsleepy, Sleepy Moon is my #1 BPAL. Belle Epoque is now on my radar. If you like it and you like SM then I know it'll jive on me : -D

If you can find an imp of aged Juliet, try it out - it's not exactly the same as Sleepy Moon, but it's got some kind of similar vibe to it.

The Oblation and Lady Una smell almost exactly alike when they dry down on me (the lavender in The Oblation is almost nonexistent after the wet stage for me), except Lady Una has the edge of honey.

The Clod and the Pebble dries down remarkably similarly to Seance on me, less up front with the rose, they have the same kind of wood going on.

I'm just getting around to trying my Lupercalia scents, and "The Passionate Shepherd to his Love" reminds me a lot of Envy. "Shepherd" is a bit sweeter and more floral, but the herbals are definitely similar.

And speaking of Envy, I also find it to be a decent replacement for "The Oblation". It doesn't have the fruitiness or quite the hit of lavender, but again, the herbals are similar.

Oddly, I don't find "The Passionate Shepherd" and "Oblation" to have much in common at all. "Shepherd" is much more subtle and sweet in a floral way where "Oblation" is fruity and sharp.

I have no idea how this is possible, but I found Defututa to be hugely similar to Snow White (both wet and dry), albeit with a little sugar on top. I honestly like it even better. :P

I just got an imp of Tombstone, and I have to say, the drydown on me is a dead ringer for Love's Philosophy. The wet stage is iffy, but once it's dry it's the same creamy vanilla.

I just got an imp of Tombstone, and I have to say, the drydown on me is a dead ringer for Love's Philosophy. The wet stage is iffy, but once it's dry it's the same creamy vanilla.

I second this. Tombstone has more of a woodsy note, and lacks the wintergreen that some Love's Philosophy bottles have, but it does seem to be the same vanilla.

Edited to add: I really like Love's Philosophy, but Tombstone is one of my all-time favorites.

Edited by ClareN

I second this. Tombstone has more of a woodsy note, and lacks the wintergreen that some Love's Philosophy bottles have, but it does seem to be the same vanilla.

Edited to add: I really like Love's Philosophy, but Tombstone is one of my all-time favorites.

ITA. The only thing that put me off about LP was the wintergreen impression I got from it, but Tombstone is all love. :P

So I'm not the only one who notices similarities between Tombstone and Love's Philosophy? I like both, but OMG, Tombstone is so marvelous. It makes me think of ghost towns in the desert wind... But there are days when I don't want the desert.