Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I cheerfully admit that my chemistry is, occasionally, strange.

That said, for those people looking for something even remotely similar to Black Lace, might I suggest Dorian?

My skin loves to amp musks and vanillas, and that's what I get a lot of with Black Lace and Dorian both. Dorian's lighter, though, and just a touch sweeter.

(As a side note, my bottle of Dorian is almost two years old, so this may also make a difference)

I really like Old Moon. It's light, without being simple. I tried The Jersey Devil, and find that on me, they smell very similar. They both have a citrusy, winter-berry thing going on, with the piney/juniper scent underneath, which is just gorgeous.

So, just a suggestion for those looking to duplicate Old Moon in your collection, try Jersey Devil! (I got 1 bottle of Old Moon, and after trying Jersey Devil, I ordered a bottle of that as well).

That said, for those people looking for something even remotely similar to Black Lace, might I suggest Dorian?

My skin loves to amp musks and vanillas, and that's what I get a lot of with Black Lace and Dorian both. Dorian's lighter, though, and just a touch sweeter.

(As a side note, my bottle of Dorian is almost two years old, so this may also make a difference)

I was just thinking that the other day, and ended up amusing myself by making a mental family tree around Dorian, with Usher as his eccentric, reclusive older brother (I've always thought that), Black Lace as his reserved but beautiful younger sister, and Snake Oil as their once-a-sexpot, always-a-sexpot mother. MB: Underpants is the beautiful, sophisticated aunt and Antique Lace is the sweet, shy spinster aunt.

But who's the daddy? I don't know. I've already put way more thought into this than is healthy. :P

I was just thinking that the other day, and ended up amusing myself by making a mental family tree around Dorian, with Usher as his eccentric, reclusive older brother (I've always thought that), Black Lace as his reserved but beautiful younger sister, and Snake Oil as their once-a-sexpot, always-a-sexpot mother. MB: Underpants is the beautiful, sophisticated aunt and Antique Lace is the sweet, shy spinster aunt.

But who's the daddy? I don't know. I've already put way more thought into this than is healthy. :P

Theodosius, of course! (It's probably every bit as unhealthy that that was what immediately sprang to mind upon reading your post!)

I was just musing that I bet Yemaya layered with a bit of Eris would possibly be a fairly close approximation of Fee.

Theodosius, of course! (It's probably every bit as unhealthy that that was what immediately sprang to mind upon reading your post!)

And Banded Sea Snake is the rugged outdoorsman uncle with moss in his beard. :D

Not sure if this is the right place for my question - mods, please relocate me if necessary...

Can anyone give me a compare/contrast of Smut & Devil's Night 2006? (Yes, '06 specifially - '05 is super mild & innocuous on my skin) DN '06 is one of my favorite blends - boozey, spicy, sweet & smoky, with a healthy smack of musk. I'm contemplating a bottle of teh Smut because, well, I mean come ON. But if it's going to end up DN minus the spice & smoke, I don't know that I'd need to splurge for a bottle... Thoughts?

Personally, Smut smelled nothing like Devil's Night 06 on me, DN 06 smells sweet, sexy, & smokey, but Smut smells sharp & just like liquid vitamins on me, but of course that's just me, I know alot of the girls here absolutely love Smut.

I'm still in raptures over Marshmallow Poof over here. Yes, I still have quite a bit left, but I love it too much to watch my supply dwindle without a plan. Most likely there is nothing in the GC at the moment that really smells similar, but can anyone make any distant comparisons?

To me Marshmallow Poof is a little bit of a pink-berry scent with a sweet dry powdery-ness. Do you know what I mean by pink berry? Are there any other pink berry scents?

Not sure if this is the right place for my question - mods, please relocate me if necessary...

Can anyone give me a compare/contrast of Smut & Devil's Night 2006? (Yes, '06 specifially - '05 is super mild & innocuous on my skin) DN '06 is one of my favorite blends - boozey, spicy, sweet & smoky, with a healthy smack of musk. I'm contemplating a bottle of teh Smut because, well, I mean come ON. But if it's going to end up DN minus the spice & smoke, I don't know that I'd need to splurge for a bottle... Thoughts?

Smut is straight up syrupy musk. No spice, no smoke.

Thanks, black*cat & hackess - I've got an imp of Smut '07 on the way, but you've both confirmed what I'd suspected (& what my PayPal account had hoped), that teh Smut doesn't need a place in my bottle box :P

Is there anything in the GC that even comes close to Winter of Our Discontent? I just bought an imp of this and really love the smokiness of it. When I have it on, I feel like I'm walking outside in the winter, smelling pine needles underfoot and the smoke from neighbors' fireplaces, mixed with just a hint of holiday spice and orange rind.

Any thoughts on something I could replicate this with?

I'm still in raptures over Marshmallow Poof over here. Yes, I still have quite a bit left, but I love it too much to watch my supply dwindle without a plan. Most likely there is nothing in the GC at the moment that really smells similar, but can anyone make any distant comparisons?

To me Marshmallow Poof is a little bit of a pink-berry scent with a sweet dry powdery-ness. Do you know what I mean by pink berry? Are there any other pink berry scents?

I haven't tried Marshmallow Poof so take this with a grain of salt, but Pink Phoenix is very pink-berry powdery-sweetness to me. It's not GC, but might be somewhat easier to find than Marshmallow Poof.

Christmas Rose, which smells of hellebore flowers, reminds me of something and I can't remember what. Does it feel familiar to someone else?

I bought a bottle of Black Lace and didn't like it much at first, so I put it at the back of the smellies box and let it age. Now, as I take my settled-down bottle and sniff it, I deeply, deeply regret not getting a second bottle while I had the chance! I've been scouring the Sale forums and eBay but to be honest I don't have much hope; it's a much-loved scent by those who have it and I can understand them not wanting to give it to me :P

So, I'm looking for recommendations about GCs (or CD etc.) that are Black-Lace-esque. In BL I particularly like the "smokey, incensy vanila" about it; however the obvious one, Snake Oil, is all smoke and nothing else on me.

Any ideas, ladies? :D

I bought a bottle of Black Lace and didn't like it much at first, so I put it at the back of the smellies box and let it age. Now, as I take my settled-down bottle and sniff it, I deeply, deeply regret not getting a second bottle while I had the chance! I've been scouring the Sale forums and eBay but to be honest I don't have much hope; it's a much-loved scent by those who have it and I can understand them not wanting to give it to me :P

So, I'm looking for recommendations about GCs (or CD etc.) that are Black-Lace-esque. In BL I particularly like the "smokey, incensy vanila" about it; however the obvious one, Snake Oil, is all smoke and nothing else on me.

Any ideas, ladies? :D

It's not quite as incensey, but I was reminded of the Black Lace vanilla when test wearing Haloes. A lot more femine, obviously, but the vanilla felt a bit similar. Other than that I wouldn't know. I thought Ivanushka was along the same line of scent, its fur felt similar to Black Lace's cotton. But it's without vanilla or incense, and an LE... Hopefully somebody else will come up with better suggestions. :D

Maybe if you could find a soft unobtrusive vanilla-cotton and layer it with a soft incense and musk blend. Possibly layering a French vanilla with Dee, or Heavenly Love and Earthly Love or something similar.

Layer Antique Lace, a bit of Dirty, and either Hellfire, Roadhouse, Isaac the Living Skeleton, or The Parliament of Monsters. (I haven't yet sniffed those last four, so I don't know.)

Another perhaps crazy rec/comparison but Black Opal is the closest thing I've found to Black Lace.

I've read people compare Black Opal to pretty much everything else. You guys are making me want to track down an imp and try it again.

Can you recommend me something similar to Spanked (whip leather, cardamom, patchouli and bourbon)?

The chances are I'll never smell it again, with ebay prices being out of my reach and it probably won't make a return to the bptp..

Edited by Kosyena

That's funny, because to me no other BPAL blend smells like Black Opal! The only thing that smells like it is Lush's American Cream, though that's a bit more foody.

I do think that Black Lace has quite a bit in common with Antique Lace, though BL is darker (obviously!) and has a richness that I just don't get from AL.

ETA: Oops, another post happened in between Tempest's and mine! Kosyena, I wish I could find a GC scent that reminds me of Spanked because it's my favorite blend and I can't afford a bottle, either! The closest I've ever come was Loviatar, but that's just reminiscent of Spanked to me, more of a cousin than a sibling. And the red musk keeps me from wearing it much/ever. If you like red musk, though, give it a try!

Edited by Dymphna

I wanted to throw out another Black Lace comparison: Zephyr. Z's a little lemony, but otherwise has a very similar (to my nose) sweet vanilla musk that totally reminded me of Black Lace, especially when I tried 'em side by side. I love them both!

Also: Midway (resurrected) is a dead ringer for Marshmallow Poof to my unsophisticated nose. I honestly could barely tell them apart after about five minutes on me.

I know I'm crazy, but I have the strangest Black Lace comparison yet, though it's not entirely in the catalog. The Chilling Cellar layered with something vanilla-y- Antique Lace came to mind. I don't know, but there's something about the base to it that is very remeniscent of Black Lace to me. Odd.

Also, Nia... I'm sorry if this is way too obvious, but could the Christmas Rose comparison you're thinking of be Black Hellebore from Rapaccini's garden? Or maybe Crow Moon.

I'd help with Poof-lovers, but it ended up drying down to Antique Lace almost exactly on me. You could try layering that with something that has a strawberry note- maybe Beaver Moon '07.

Is there anything in the GC that even comes close to Winter of Our Discontent? I just bought an imp of this and really love the smokiness of it. When I have it on, I feel like I'm walking outside in the winter, smelling pine needles underfoot and the smoke from neighbors' fireplaces, mixed with just a hint of holiday spice and orange rind.

Any thoughts on something I could replicate this with?

Hmmm....... there's a certain golden glow that I get from Winter of our Discontents that is similar to the glow from Golden Priapus. Maybe that paired with resin (cathedral or penitence)? I also remember a touch of clove along with the orange. Don't know what to do about those.

Here's another Black Lace recommendation I don't think I've seen yet: Antique Lace and Dracul. Dracul is all tobacco and musk on me though--I guess it wouldn't quite work if you amped mint or orange blossom. But that was the first thing I thought when I first tried Black Lace.

Edited by amygirl83

I tried Jester yesterday and I kept having to remind myself that it wasn't Midwinter's Eve that I'd put on. I haven't tried them side-by-side, but they seem VERY similar to my nose.

--M