Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Goblin: Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

Wet and in the bottle this is all about the sugar plum note, with a nice whiff of coconut.

Coconut persists through the drydown, but without taking over everything. There's only a faint hint of patchouli - certainly nothing I would call gnarly. Was curious to see how the patch would work with this, might set it aside and try it again later. 

Wow, that Sugar Plum note is KICKIN. If you're curious what it's like, it is sweet sweet sweet with a dollop of fruit, in almost a fruit candy kind of way, like a plum-flavored fruit rollup. So. Freakin. Sweet. For my taste, I like more depth to my plum, so the Sugar Plum is currently a little unbalanced, so fresh in all these blends, that it really dominates and comes off as a very young, very sugary kind of scent.

Underneath, a sweet patchouli is present, and it's very comforting and warm, a familiar twinge of herbal depth. The black coconut is not distressingly suntanny. Just as in regular Goblin, it does have some gnarl to it, which makes it bearable for me, a survivor of too many Florida summers. I don't smell benzoin really much at all, a mere dab of poofy bandaid. (I know, that doesn't sound great. It's just a dab.) But I really would like Goblin to make a bigger appearance here, to stand up to the Sugar Plum and be a sweetly dancing Goblin in the Nutcracker.

Alas, I definitely won't be upgrading my decant to a fullsize bottle unless the sugar plum calms itself in the next few months, because I could get the same effect by layering just about any of the Sugar Plums over regular Goblin. I am keeping my bottle of Sugar Plum Snake Oil, so that will do me just fine.

Goblin + sugary flowers. Okay, so Goblin decided to have a springtime frolic, came out of whatever damp cave it typically likes to hang out in, and has gone and gotten a nice spring bouquet to spruce up their home, which is away from all things sunshiney, floral, or fresh. Because even goblins deserve flowers. If this is your take, look no further. Medium throw and wear length.

this whole sugar plum line just really does it for me.  that sugar plum note itself is candied, sticky, fruity in a roundly sweet way, and mildly spiced.  it comes across as an aggressive plum sugar spice bomb when wet, but then melds with the base blend so harmoniously in such different ways. 

in the case of goblin, it meshes with the coconut and benzoin (which reads as a slightly resinous, sweet vanilla to me) to create this sweet, delicious, cuddly, almost-foodie that teeters at the precipice of full-on gourmand, but hangs back just by the skin of patchouli's teeth.  the patch is a little dirty, like i like it, but it's a tame fuzzy kitten covered in creamy vanilla-candy fluff and a dust of sweet dry spice. the coconut is never obviously apparent, but as a supporting note i think it's just in there doing its thing keeping everything sweet and creamy. 

for me, sugar plum goblin is a comfortable scent... ideal for lounging around the house, napping, or before bed. this goblin is my cuddle buddy, hanging out with me all day on the couch, in bat pajamas, watching our favorite tim burton movies. 

Edited by MamaMoth

This iteration of Goblin smoothes out the gnarly patchouli note and amps up the sweet notes, yet it doesn't smell plummy at all.  If you wanted a sweeter Goblin, this one is for you.