Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Sugar Plum Black Phoenix

Two months and no one has reviewed this? OK, well.

Sugar plum (more plum than sugar) overlays a dark, opium-ish fruit syrup. Black Phoenix lists no notes, but I smell an opium-poison type thing, cherry syrup, and almond. Add plum and a little sugar to that and that's the idea.

I kept hearing whispers of the fabled plum of my beloved Bordello, so I had to spring for this along with Sugar Plum Snake Oil. Bordello has been the #1 of my favorites the entire tenure of my 15 years of BPAL, nothing knocking it out in the tourney, and I was heartbroken when it went away. I still have 2 bottles but I rarely dip into them knowing how difficult it is to locate them in the second hand market. So here goes.

In the bottle, my eyes rolled with absolute pleasure. It is, indeed, Bordellos plum. That bright, candy like purple plum.

On the skin, the plum recedes a bit, allowing the other notes to come forward, but never disappears. This is bright, beautiful plum with a touch of almond, and on me, rose. It's lovely, feminine, and uplifting. I've only been wearing it an hour and recieved 2 compliments. 

Verdict: I'll need a back up of this. While not Bordello's clone, it is definitely a sibling, and will definitely help with keeping me in the happy spot. I'm delighted in this gorgeous plum variant, and so happy I sprung for this.

ok this one has me contemplating a full bottle. 

it smells 100% better on me than Sugar Plum SO, which was just fully Snake Oil on me, no Sugar Plum. 

i have no idea how to describe how this smells on me, other than it is very sweet, and exactly what i was hoping for from the Sugar Plum blends. 💕 

This is a plummy/fruity Black Phoenix. If Bordello and Black Phoenix had a baby, this is what it would smell like. Medium throw and wear length.

Bordello has been one of my BPAL loves for years...over a decade now?...so, after the reviews, I had to try one of the Sugar Plums! Snake Oil rarely works well on me, tragically, so I opted for Black Phoenix.

On me, SPBP starts off utterly beautiful - it's that plum! that bright candy plum! sweet, juicy, purple! Plus an almond/cherry type note that's playing really nicely with it. Just gorgeous.

And then...then...a couple hours in...soapiness! Loud soapiness! 😥 I think it's the rose note in Black Phoenix that's the culprit; rose does that on me, except in very very rare cases. I was hoping this would be an exception, because sometimes sugar/sweet notes help, but sadly, no luck.

I'm still glad I've got it, because the opening is so, so lovely. I'll try it in my scent locket and hope that works!

i have a confession to make. 

i have never actually tried black phoenix.  

there, i said it.  it just never called my name.  and every time i read the description touting it as their signature oil, i think "stop trying to make black phoenix happen!" 

but i adore this sugar plum note, and so i snapped up decants of every single one. 

at first it's... mostly sugar plum? there's something dark and sweet going on behind it, but i couldn't tell you what.  promising! but as it dries down....  oh there you are, rose, my old nemesis!  ruiner of so many wonderful perfumes with your grandma's-soap staleness.   bah! 

so yeah, there's rose in black phoenix.  now i know.