Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Gingerbread Campfire

Just got my BPAL delivered... got 4 bottles. Always hard to pick one first. So I did this one. I am a sucker for gingerbread!! Sniffing in the bottle, it isn't a sweet, cookie-like gingerbread. more like a raw gingerbread, if that makes sense. Not sure what I am smelling. I thought it was going to be smoky, hence the name, but it isn't. 

On my skin, the gingerbread gets a bit more of a baking type spice, but still not sweet. There is a background note that I think makes it seem like a campfire, but it is almost a plastic smell. A plastic gingerbread. It isn't bad, but it is odd to me. I was hoping it would be more of a cookie like gingerbread with that smoky campfire vibe, but not getting that. Stays close to the skin and not a lot of throw. Not sure this is for me since I am more of a foodie/gourmand lover. 

Weirdly, in contrast to the first review, this is basically Sweet Woodsmoke SN on my skin. I'm not really finding the gingerbread; it's more like the gingerbread got thrown into the fire, burned up, and made the smoke sweet.

Gingerbread Campfire is heavy on the campfire, both on the wand and my skin. Billowing wafts of smoke and burning sparks when I inhale a bit away from the skin, and something a little odd when I sniff up close. Mostly, though, this blend offers the smoke and fire in abundance. It's not an office scent.

I don't notice gingerbread until drydown, when it peers out, black-eyed, choked in smoke and soot. Even then, I don't find much of it---just glimpses between black clouds. 

I love a good smoky blend, but hoped for more gingerbread in the balance. I'll see how this one settles.

Ermergard! I love this!

Gingerbread campire somehow smells the same in the bottle as it does on my skin (this never happens with BPAL). 

This is a HOT 🔥 scent, a fiery campfire dragon. I do smell the gingerbread standing proudly underneath but this is not at all sweet. This is a gingerbread whose mixture contains everything except for the sugar. It may even contain salt instead....with just a hint of black pepper!

Visualisation:

How I see it; This is a campfire in the  middle of the forest. Magical gingerbread take life under the moonlight and dance atop the fire. Floating above in a jolly dance.

My opinion:

I love this! This is a scent which while smelling incredibly different, it's smokiness is a nod to my beloved DEAD LEAVES ON FIRE ('weenies 2020).

Straight up campfire. If the Lab's campfire/hearth/bonfire notes work for you, this might be your jam. It's basically single note campfire. There's some burnt...something in the middle of the fire, but do you really want to go sticking your fingers in there to determine if it used to be gingerbread? No you do not. Best to leave that charred carcass alone, and accept that it's just you and the fire.

This did not work for me, and I don't know why I expected it to. If you're worried about it being too foodie, don't. Just get it for the campfire and sit by its glowing flames to your heart's content. I will avoid this note in the future, because it gives me headaches and is way too ferociously BBQ for my liking, but if you are looking for a strong campfire/bonfire, look no further, GIngerbread Campfire is here for you.

Definitely pick this up if you missed out on Dead Leaves on Fire! It’s that same intense smokiness, with some added spice from the gingerbread. The gingerbread comes out gently over time, but definitely never announces itself loudly. We’ll see how this ages!

Gingerbread Campfire 🔥 is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Billows of sweet, sweet wood-smoke with a hint of gingerbread/yuletide spices lurking under the lovely clouds.  It honestly smells like a magical campfire - and any one who knows me, knows how much I love things that smell like campfires of all stripes and types. So glad I took a chance on this, as it has a beautiful dark core of crackling flame that sticks around through the sweeter wood-smoke, unffff! I am also very excited to layer it under Chibi Skull, the 2021 patchouli and balsam duet, and Gingerbread and Leather!  Can't wait to see how this ages, perhaps blunting the smoke a bit to bring out the delicious gingerbread lurking right under it. Really glad I snagged this, it's such a beautiful sweet yet oddly dark wood-smoke, I'm just :wub2:

Smoky bacon and spices. Honestly, the campfire smoke is the type of vetiver that ends up as smoky bacon on me. Good throw and wear length, of course.

I do get a tiny bit of sweetness my mind could push and imagine loafy gingerbread, but its got a slather of burned crispy bits on it, charred with a slab of drippy meat on top. Just can't turn off that association (that's my brain's fault) and i'm also getting a tiny bit of medicinal smell, so this is a hard slay nay.
Its sweetly gorgeous if you're a collector of woodsmoke. 

Lots of campfire here, and not much gingerbread -- just the spices, if anything, and they're pretty charred.  It's a lovely campfire scent if you're into that sort of thing -- in the same family as Chestnuts and Hearth Smoke or Dead Leaves on Fire.  I think it would make a good layering scent for weenies that don't have quite enough bonfire going on.  BPAL wood smoke fans know who they are, and this is for them. 

Well this one is a sleeper hit!  When I first got it, it was very bottle-tight and almost plasticky.  So I gave it a rest.  Cracked it open today for Alphabet September, and it is much better for it.  In the bottle:  Damp smoke--a lot--and a hint of spice. On, wet:  Getting a deep red ginger thing, both fresh ginger and dried ginger, with a real spicy heat to it. Drydown:  A combo of fresh grated ginger, dried ginger, damp smoke, and secondary smoky patchouli almost.  Loving it.  Gets more woody old campfire/patch the longer it wears.  Medium throw but long wear length.