Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Deep Fried Gingerbread

Had to get this gingerbread scent too. Sniffing, this one is a bit sweeter than my review for Gingerbread Campfire. This one is good! It is a more of a cookie type gingerbread (which I love) and it does smell like it has been fried! Low throw on me and stays close to the skin. This one isn't overly sweet, so anyone worried about that, you don't have anything to fear. A nice gingerbread spice that was fried. Simple as that! :) It will be interesting to see how this ages. 

Fresh out of the oven gingerbread thrown into the deep fryer full of hot oil! The hot oil aspect wears off pretty quickly leaving the warm, fresh gingerbread smell to become the dominate aspect. Good staying power but low throw. I tried mine fresh from the mail so I’m excited for this to age and change over time. 

So, my favorite Christmas cookie is a version of what is known as "geese feet" (I do not know the Polish for it). It's an unsweetened pastry dough, folded (into a shape that resembles geese feet, hence the name) and dipped into spiced sugar. (Traditionally, it's just plain granulated sugar, but I like them better with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice mixed in.) When you eat one, you can taste the sugary spicy outside layer but also the deep, rich, buttery cookie layer.

The exact ingredients -- the spice mix and the particular fat -- of Deep Fried Gingerbread are different, but the effect is fairly similar. There's a sweet, spiced layer, and a layer that's not outright savory, but it's rich and it's cutting the sweetness of the sweet layer nonetheless. I also get a low throw that, combined with the not overpowering sweetness, makes this a very wearable blend.

This could easily be called “Please Scream Inside Your Gingerbread House” and I am HERE for it. Ughhhhhh it’s so good. It’s fried Gingerbread. It’s simple, comforting and delicious. 

To me, this is all Please Scream Inside Your Heart's funnel cake soggy dough at first, accompanied by some extra spice from the gingerbread. But mostly it's just Please Scream Inside Your Heart on me for the first few hours before it mostly becomes about the spicy gingerbread, which made me feel like I was experiencing both parts of the scent individually instead of together, but eventually, by the end of the day, it does become more balanced and there's a nice cake-y gingerbread overlaying the fried dough note.

I was really hoping this wouldn't be a cousin to Please Scream Inside Your Heart, as I have enough of that note, but I do appreciate the gingerbread in this one. If only it didn't take so long to appear!

This is SO WEIRD and I'm glad I got a decant because finally I know what the nauseating note of Please Scream Inside Your Heart was. Fryer grease! Deep Fried Gingerbread is all deep-fryer grease and raw sugared dough and maybe a hint of gingerbread spice but really it's all about that grease. It's kind of amazing how dead-on the note is. Now that I recognize it, it's so obvious. I have smelled that hundreds of times after cooking. This is a sweetened version of it, from frying up dough with sugar and giving it that magical combination of sugar and fat. If you dig it, you will probably need this scent. If, like me, it made you queasy from the thought of perhaps throwing up this sugary mess on the Tilt-A-Whirl, it probably is a no-go in its gingerbread iteration as well.

A few hours later, the gingerbread smell is quite pleasant. Fortunately, I have plenty in my collection that leave this kind of comforting gingerbread waft without Eau de Deep Fryer for the first few hours. EEP!

Count me in as one of the folks whom at first got Industrial Fry Grease in the bottle on this one.  As in dead ringer for Crisco that's been used for frying sweets and then cooled, with a bowl full of the ends of raw gingerbread dough in the background.  On, wet it starts to behave itself and dries down fairly quickly on me to not a gingerbread cookie per se, but almost like the sweet style soft gingerbread quick bread/coffee cake that's featured in some older American cookbooks and a few Scandinavian ones.  The fry note is gone and I'm left with this interesting gingerbread sponge cake.  It's not terribly exciting by itself, but I think it will become a favorite layering thing with other cookie/cake/holiday gourmands, even Weenies.  I'm also seeing this as sort of the Gingerbread cousin to the Pancakes series from a while ago.  Today I layered it up with Samhain Pyre HG and it's actually an AMAZING "Fall Festival in a bottle" effect.  OTOH if you tend to amp the "fried/Crisco" note, then step away from this one.

On me, this lives up to its name. The cinnamon is definitely the most prominent gingerbread spice to me, but I do get ginger and clove. The fried element of this perfume is oily and a little bread-like, making the cookie smell more buttery and rich. Luckily, I don't get old fry oil from this perfume but I think that's partially because I tend to amp spices.

This was fun to sample but I don't feel the need to full-size.

Like others have commented, this is a heavy hit of fryer oil on initial application.  But that quickly dissipates and I’m left with a nice moist gingerbread cookie.  I amp all spices like crazy, and this is the first of any BPAL gingerbread scents that doesn’t turn into some type of spice single note on me.  I’m really enjoying this, because I’m always so bummed that none of the gingerbread scents work for me.

Edited by JakkieTreehorn

This smells like a fried doughnut with a little bit of gingerbread spice in the dry down. It’s a little oily but in the best way, just enough to be foodie not bad. This is what I wanted Scream Inside Your Heart to smell like. So if that made you say yuck definitely try this one! It’s way better! 😋