Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

A Gingerbread Dog

Fresh on the skin, I get a sort of woody coconut gingerbread, warm and delicious and veering a touch masculine if you interpret things that way, and strangely it's not actually all that foody to me, it's more about the wood and spice. It's spicy toasty goodness! It's also quite strong. 

After drying down, the spice is pretty much gone. What's left is a warm, close to the skin scent that is smoothly blended such that I cannot really tell you what it smells like. It's cozy though, and again, not a gourmand sort of experience. 

Me upon opening the decant: why the heck didn’t I just blind bottle this? Me checking the notes: oh right Saffron can go either way for me. Luckily here it’s blending well. This is a gorgeous, delicious blend of warm gingerbread, clove, and pecan. There’s also a subtle hint of holiday spices reminiscent of Mincemeat Pie. This is gorgeous and 100% will be a full bottle upgrade. 

Edited by frizzlechicken

Gingerbread, coconut bark (woof!), toasted pecan, and a surprise boat-load of saffron. 

In the first whiff from the wand, I also get a nice amount of sugar, but this drops back when I apply the blend to my skin. After a moment to warm up, the clove wafts out, joining the gingerbread, coconut, toasty nuts, and dry saffron. 

Cozy, warm, spiced and nutty gingerbread. Love.

The first minute of this is a journey. The saffron is particularly strong and dry during this stage, and I also get competing whiffs of a toothsome caramelized pecan brittle. As it dries, it settles into a well-blended delicious spicy gingerbread. The saffron contributes a bit of smokiness and dryness that offsets the traditional gingerbread spices wonderfully. This is where the bite comes from. The coconut bark adds a creamy body and woodiness to the Gingerbread Dog. I love coconut so I can't really say whether or not it would go suntan lotion on someone. Sugared pecan turns this into a sweet gingerbread puppy, even if it's still a bit rowdy.

Most gingerbread scents are too "nice" to smell like real gingerbread to me, but that is not the case here. This is a cute little gingerbread dog that has a naughty streak and I'm here for it.

I love gingerbread scents, but I have quite a few so I try to resist the temptation to pick up more unless they're really unique. This is definitely a unique take on a gingerbread scent, and I'm really glad I picked up a bottle!

Wet, the spices are not messing around, and I mean that in a good way. They're strong, but very well-balanced (i.e. it's not all cinnamon, or ginger, etc.). As it dries, it settles down a bit into a creamier (but not "dairy") spiced gingerbread. The saffron really shines, and I love the use of it here. I don't necessarily get a "coconut" note from this ... more like thick coconut cream adding a non-tropical creaminess. There's also a lovely (soft) toasted pecan note.  

I really look forward to wearing this one in the cooler months. 

A Gingerbread Dog starts off strong on the gingerbread (a non-cake-y variety) and clove on me, with some syrupy sweetness from the pecan. As it sits on the skin, the nutty sweetness from the pecan and the clove gain strength, so that it's like extra-clove-y gingerbread spices with some saffron and that super sweet pecan that just gets stronger with wear, like I slathered some pecan pie filling on top of this gingerbread. I agree that the sweetness verges on toffee-like. Strangely enough, I'm not picking up on the coconut in this one, although I wouldn't be surprised if it were boosting the pecan's syrupy sweetness.

If you're looking for a sweet, nutty gingerbread scent, give this one a try. Sadly, I think it may be too sweet for me. :( 

A Gingerbread Dog is a most unusual species! It's a playful twist on a traditional gingerbread recipe. Quite a bit different than other varieties, with something that smells to me like a Publix chocolate chip cookie base (minus the chocolate) and sweet pecan and coconut shavings. Only lightly spiced to my nose, although the clove is accounted for, and the saffron is something I had to dig a little bit for. I love saffron in red musk blends, and that's where I'm most familiar with it. But comparing A Gingerbread Dog side by side with Tonka Bean and Saffron, I can see the similarities while enjoying Dog's foodiness over the duet's perfuminess. The earthy, vibrant quality of saffron's spice adds lots of life and "bark" to gingerbread's usual vibe.

The truly wonderful thing to me about this blend is how it manages to be sweet but somehow not TOO sweet. My skin tends to amp sugar and especially any syrupy notes. So far, this one is behaving itself. The coconut that I feared so much is not a problem; it doesn't go sunscreen, and doesn't take over on the skin either. It acts in a baking capacity here, i.e. coconut shavings. Yum! A few hours later, this is all pecan, like it has big pecan pie energy.

I acquired a half bottle and I think that's the perfect amount for me. 

I would wear this blend when: dreaming of winter holidays during the summer months.

In the bottle: Gingerbread cookies and saffron.

Wet:  Gingerbread cookies, hot outta the oven!

Dry: Gingerbread cookies.

This perfume smells exactly like the gingerbread cookies I used to make with my family when I was a teen. I suspect the recipe was clove-heavy since I smell the clove but it does not feel apart from the overall cookie memory smell. I don't get any other notes, but I'm ok with that. I do wish the coconut made an appearance because I love coconut, but my skin just eats it up.