Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Raspberry Apricot Sufganiyot

In the bottle: rich, jammy raspberry and apricot nestled in a buttery pastry. The raspberry is a bit tart.

Wet on the skin: endless dollops of tart raspberry jam. The apricot is still there, but it's supporting the raspberry and adding a bit of juicy sweetness. I don't get much of the doughnutty notes yet.

Dry on the skin: the raspberry jam calms down a bit and settles in with the apricot. I can smell a powdered sugar note now and maybe a hint of fluffy bready doughnut. It smells like a plate of sugar-dusted sufganiyot stuffed full to bursting with thick raspberry and apricot jam.

I just got this today so I'm not sure how long it lasts on the skin, but the throw is good. Overall it smells very yummy and fruity. I was a bit apprehensive about the apricot, but I think it strikes a nice balance with the raspberry. I've never tried Raspberry Sufganiyot so I can't draw a comparison, unfortunately. I'm hoping that aging will bring the doughnut notes out more, but I do love it right now. :wub2:

I LOVEEEEE THIS. so much! 

i have never tried Apricot in a perfume, so full disclosure - i have no idea what i’m smelling more of. i just know it’s really, really good. 

i bought two bottles of this right off the bat, and i’m glad i did! it’s sweet, but not overly so. i keep sniffing my arm trying to think of how better to describe it, but i can’t *really* tell which notes i’m smelling the most. 

if you like the Sufganiyots, i would just say go for it. *chefs kiss* for sure 

From the start it's all about the pastry note on me, I could almost knock back the bottle it smells so yummy. As it dries the raspberry jam appears, with apricot far more subtly in the background. After about an hour the apricot is prominent, with a pastry backnote. Not much throw, and disappeared after around 3 hours, but it's nice to find a pastry note that doesn't turn sour on me.

Entenmann's Raspberry Coffee Cake. Raspberry, pastry and sugary cream drizzle, drying down to raspberry with slight apricot undertones and the pastry descending.  Absolutely delicious!  I love this one!  

Piquant and gooey is 100% correct. This raspberry and apricot combination is heavenly: tart, fruity, and just sweet enough.

In the bottle and when wet, I don't get any baked goods or fried dough from this. Just decadent jammy awesomeness, which is wonderful.

As it dries, some of the powdered sugar and fried dough comes out, but the raspberry is the boss of this operation. It has excellent wear length for me as well.

I am so happy with how this turned out. I diligently keep trying delicious pastry scents though they tend to go burnt plastic on me. Fruity notes haven't been great on me either - mostly they remind me too much of a scented candle.

But this! Is wonderful!! Like @LavenderCoffee said, the raspberry is the star here. Sweet and tart. The apricot (one of the only fruits that works well for me) warms it up and gives it that sticky-sweet jammy glow. The pasty is NOT like cookies and cakes (which right off the bat hit me smelling too toasty before they inevitably turn to plastic) but more bready. Altogether, it's yeasty, fruity, and dry, sugary doughy treat. Superb! I haven't dared touch another sufganiyot - in part because my track record with gourmands is terrible, but also in part because they are so precious (hard to find and expensive af) - but this has piqued my interest. ;) 

Sugary, super-gooey apricot raspberry jam. Compared with the other sufganiyots I've tried, this one is bringing out soo much goo... and less pastry, at least in the opening.

The gooey-ness soon turns a bit plasticky on my skin, and the pastry doesn't show up as much as in earlier sufganiyots.

I'll see how this settles, but right now, it's a relief to not want to bottle one thing from this Yule collection. Previous sufs have been lovely on me, but something in this one just isn't gelling. So to speak. 🙂

On me, this one opens strong on the pastry, and the fried dough has something in common with the fried dough note in Please Scream Inside Your Heart, but they aren't completely similar, and without the spice. The other sufganiyot scents I've tried (Blackcurrant Sufganiyot, Raspberry Sufganiyot, and Snake Oil Jelly Doughnut) don't seem to have this dough note. I get more apricot in the jam than the raspberry at first, although the raspberry is definitely there -- but it is nowhere as near as strong as it is in just straight-up Raspberry Sufganiyot. Over time, the raspberry jam does gain strength and ends up becoming stronger than the apricot as the dough note takes on the powdered sugar-covered doughnut scent that I enjoy from the sufs. The apricot jam is still around, though -- just not nearly as strong as it was before (and the raspberry is still not as strong as it is in Raspberry Suf). And I get more pastry from this one than its raspberry counterpart.

I enjoy the end result of this one, although it was a bit wonky in the beginning on me, with that similarity to the soggy, fried dough from the Please Scream scents. I think I'll hold onto the decant and retest this before it goes down, but at the moment, I'm thinking, like Raspberry Suf, just a decant will be enough.

Edited by doomsday_disco

In the decant: Smells like artificial raspberries, a sweet creamy note? And something dusty.

Wet: Please scream inside your clowns, aka a fried doughnut smell with a dash of cinnamon and some raspberry flavoring.

Dry: Oh, hello apricot. The apricot has come forward after having been absent in previous tests. It just goes to show that even a few days of settling will change a perfume. I'm glad that the apricot has come out to give a bit of realism to the artificial raspberry product smell that it was previously giving. 

This is a lovely jam doughnut smell and I'll have to snag a bottle of this. Prior tests had this fading after a few hours and I'm guessing that time will improve its longevity.

I'm smelling mostly apricot! And pastry. A sort of artificial raspberry in the background (I'd say same note as just regular raspberry suf). Smells sticky! So sweet it makes my stomach hurt. I think I'll pass on a full bottle. 

My first Suf!

I'm really pleased with how well-balanced the raspberry and apricot are in this - I don't have a lot of apricot scents in my collection, and I was afraid the raspberry would take over. At this point, the pastry note isn't very strong, it's definitely more "jammy". It doesn't have a lot of longevity, but I'm hoping with time that will improve and the "doughnut" aspect comes out a bit more. Overall, very happy I got this one.

After all these years, my first Sufganiyot! It was the raspberry that swung me, as it's a note that doesn't come up often but I have an ancient Chaos Theory that I'm 100% sure has raspberry and I love the note so much.

At first sniff in the bottle, it seemed strangely sour to my nose - presumably the apricot - with a strong, buttery 'baked good' undertone. However, when I put it on skin the baking recedes into a more supporting role and the raspberry comes out to sweeten up the apricot. It's not as strong a scent as I'd expected (though granted, since it smelled pretty punchy in the bottle, I applied with a light hand for this first wear) but has had good staying power today. And yes, I'm pretty sure the raspberry here is the same as that old Chaos Theory. Vindication! 

Oh, I never reviewed this! Must fix that.

I have several other Sufs from various years; they're usually right up my sweet/berry-loving alley! This one is also squarely in that jammy fruit + baked good line, and also delicious! I think I'm getting primarily apricot, though the raspberry's in there too. I'm inclined to say the pastry isn't quite as strong as previous years? Or maybe that's just apricot being loud. The pastry is present, though, as a buttery donut-y backing note.

As usual with the Sufs, I want to eat my arm! Or maybe just bake something... 😛

Wet: HHHHNG. That's the good stuff. Raspberry-apricot jam!

Dry: Raspberry always worries me a bit, as it has a tendency to go plastic on my skin. Luckily, much like Raspberry Sufganiyot, this does not! In comparing it to "plain" Raspberry Suf, I would say this one is more about the fruit than the dough. This one is also less sweet than Raspberry Suf IMO, but I enjoy the addition of the apricot enough to where... I think I prefer this one.

All that said, it's another delicious sufganiyot scent, and I'm happy to have grabbed a bottle. ;) 

Current sufganiyot ranking: Blueberry, Pomegranate, Strawberry, Fig & Cranberry, Raspberry Apricot, Raspberry, Blackcurrant. 

I bought this on impulse on release - a fullsize, since Yules don't tend to tempt me much. I keep putting it down, picking it up, and smelling it again. I haven't read reviews in a while, though, and for ages I just thought it was 'dough'. But reading these, I have realized something-- that there is some fruit supporting it, like a dried apricot. To me, this isn't the kind of jammy sweet jelly filled donut that I really want, but I do enjoy the apricot comes through in the end. But not jam. And no raspberry on me, years later.

It's nice as a sleep scent, though! It's comfy.

The first 45 minutes are tangy, sweet raspberry jam and apricot marmalade.  Then the fruitiness fades to a more nondescript, slightly sour berry, and a somewhat musky vanilla sugar comes through in the drydown.  I wish it held on to the opening stage because the drydown is a little reminiscent of berry flavored cough syrup to me.  By the three hour mark, it had already faded away completely.

This is a delicious jammy raspberry with a hint of apricot in the background! My 3rd favorite after pomegranate suf and fig/cranberry suf.

Unfortunately I never really get the fried dough or donut aspect to these Sufganiyot scents. However, I can see the appeal because they do smell like like very delicious and accurate fruity jam. But I don’t know I was kind of in it for like the fried dough note as well lol. All is well, not to say that these are bad by any means. I still like to collect them and maybe the older ones like raspberry and blueberry are better in that aspect. I made a post on the parlor FB ground and people are saying they don’t really get the fried dough  during any of the suf scents either.

Also, as with the other suf scents, it really is only good for the first hour. After it looses the punchy fruit quality and smells like a sweet sticky mess

Edited by Rspades