Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Café De Olla Fried Ice Cream Jammed Into A Coconut Cream Pie

Cinnamon dominates, with the strong coffee giving it a lovely depth. I love how there's an oily, sparkly impression of fried sugar. I'm not getting any dairy notes (which tend to go sour and salty on me, so I don't mind) and get just the faintest impression of coconut cream. This is very cozy for winter - so glad to have been PIF'd an imp of this!

In the imp: I'm getting a definite fried sweet scent and also some cinnamon. 

On my skin:

At first, it's much the same as in the imp, with some of the coffee element creeping out after a few seconds. As it dries, something about this goes weird on me. I suspect it's some combination of cinnamon and coffee, but it's a weird kind of spicy scent. Not bad, necessarily, but something that is not readily identifiable as any of its component parts. 

I let this sit for a loooong time, but finally... is it the lemony scent I sometimes get from the Lab's gingerbread/gingersnap? Maybe? There's something bright in this that I cannot account for by the note list. 

I'm going to have to come back to this one, maybe let it settle a bit? Right now, this is just weird. 

I've tried this twice because I wanted to make sure that I'm smelling what I'm smelling.

This smells effervescent on my skin. Very reminiscent of the old Tiki scents. Sweet, slightly fruity, and ... bubbly? It's not what I expected, but I don't dislike it.

Wet: I had to sniff this one many, many times to try and describe what I was smelling. This is going to sound weird, but this is the best description I've got - coconut cream soda with a hint of cinnamon. 

Dry: Pretty spot on to the wet stage, only more coconut.

Not my jam.

This is probably one of my favorite purely gourmand scents I've tried from BPAL, honestly. It's floofy creamy vanilla and coconut cream with an almost fizzy or citrusy edge. Weirdly addictive.

In the imp I get a really fizzy sort of scent. Like a coconut ice cream float of some kind topped with cinnamon. Behind that I get fried dough and some coffee. On my skin it is much more fried dough and coffee, a bit buttery and still with cinnamon and now a bit of ginger. It's a very roasty coffee. The coconut and cream start to creep in again as it dries, but this one stays very dry and spicy on me, and I was hoping for a bit more of that coconut sweetness to balance. 

I didn't have an experience like any of the previous reviewers. To me, in the vial and on my skin, it was a cumin party, backed by some coconut. No coffee, no cinnamon, and no ice cream on me. :( 

Oh thank goodness I'm not losing my mind. This is coconut cream soda and cumin on me. Occasionally I get pretty whiffs of coconut fried ice cream at a distance, but if I get too close to my arm, it's allll cumin. Love the taste of cumin, don't really want to smell like it! 

Yep, my experience mirrors the last two reviewers.  I get Indian food.  Cumin and maybe some cilantro.  Reminds me of Butter Chicken.  

17 minutes ago, Amazonia said:

Yep, my experience mirrors the last two reviewers.  I get Indian food.  Cumin and maybe some cilantro.  Reminds me of Butter Chicken.  

same here! I really thought my nose was broken or my skin just abhors coconut... but no! Cumin party with a very faraway coconut. 

I agree with previous reviewers who said it's like a fizzy cream soda, with coconut but also cumin.

I drink cafe de olla daily (coffee with cinnamon and brown sugar basically) and I'm getting zero coffee here.

I guess if I squint I get "deep fried" but I'm not really getting any hints of "ice cream" or "pie" (and I know the lab CAN do buttery baked pastry).

All that said, I don't dislike it. it just feels more like a tiki drink!

Edit: ok 10 minutes later this smells exactly like one of those Hostess coconut cream hand pies that my mom would put in my lunch in the 80's. *mind blown*

Edited by tinyvulture

Okay, this one codes weird to me. I get spicy cardamom, cinnamon, coconut and spices that make me think "curry". This ends up more "savory" than sweet to me. Maybe its also the "fried" impression? Dunno, this one has been the wildest of the bunch. Medium throw and wear length.

I am also in the cumin party group. I get some aldehydes a faint sweetness, too, but not enough to bring down the cumin party. For whatever reason, there is a soapiness to this perfume, too, but I'm not sure where that's coming from. I think I'd be down for the cumin party if the coconut and other spices were stronger. I will sit on this one and see if it mellows out after a while.

Yes to curry! Which I kind of like. I always wanted a scent that came across like the smell of Chinese food. And I love The Jeweled Spider for its rich musky curry. However, unlike the latter, this is not sweet AT ALL on me (surprise!) - just savory, cuminy curry. Maybe even a little toasty, which makes my mind go to jasmine rice. And like @dancingchair I get the soapiness, too, which I SWEAR is cilantro! (now, I love cilantro, but I still get where that association comes from). I honestly think I liked this best of the 3, though it's not at ALL what I believe it sets out to be, on me.

This is savory and strange on me and smells nothing like fried ice cream or coconut cream pie or even anything sweet.  It smells like tortillas, cilantro, green onion and curry.  Herbal, spicy, fresh.  It's so weird and I can't stand the cilantro-ish scent.

On me, it smells like a fried vanilla doughnut with a sharp lemon custard filling, topped with powdered sugar. I haven't tried many food flavors, it's very interesting.

Definately smell that lemon icecream, salty fried goodness, dusted with angelic sugar (though i do see where the cilantro/cumin mentions are coming from). Not bad at all, strange but very enjoyable!

I’m picking up something akin to a virgin key lime martini rimmed with crushed graham crackers, but with just a touch of cumin mixed in. There’s the faintest whisper of coconut and zero coffee. 

More like I had been eating curry and took a drink of my martini but could still smell traces of the food on my hand as I sipped. 

I’m going to wait and see if it develops into something more to my liking before making any snap judgements and adding it to the swap pile. 

I’m sorry, all I can say is “EW”

I ate Indian food right before sampling this and tell me why it smelled exactly what I just ate?

I have never had such a visceral reaction to a perfume before! I literally scrubbed my arm for 5 min with dish soap and have layered three strong oils to try and cover up the scent. 

I got this straight from the Lab, but didn't test it until now. 

Fried ice cream made me imagine fairground vibes, but this is actually a delicate & subtle gourmand blend.

On me, this is a coconut/cinnamon/cream soda combo, with only a breath of coffee & pastry.

My skin tends to amp cumin, so I'm happy it isn't showing up for me. 

An unexpectedly fancy & delicate fragrance :wub3: