Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Shangoochi

An imp’s worth of Blood stuffed into a 5ml of Chimera plopped into Shanghai’s mother bottle.

Ah! My first time being the first!

i had to have this, as two of the scents are top scents of mine (Blood!). This is exactly as I imagined. I like Shanghai because of the honeysuckle and less for the lemon verbena. This was a wild ride of emotions for me. 

first whiff out of the bottle- BLOOD. Then cinnamon clove. Yum!

after applying- the Blood is no longer a punch in the face but stays closer to the skin. The lemon verbena and florals of Shanghai come out and are what is wafting around me— with slight edges of cinnamon blood. It’s such a bizarre scent. It reminds me of a distinct time in the 90’s at Saint Sabrina’s parlour in purgatory in Minneapolis-  old incense and a ton of goth candles along with clove cigarette smoke coming in the front doorway mixing together. And his was back when I was using some lemon verbena The Body Shoppe shampoo and so that was an underlying scent back then. Genius. Not a very high tech review, but a worthwhile mix if you love the bases. 

edited after swearing in this from shoveling my driveway from 1’ snowfall: this turned up straight old lady on me. The cinnamon and clove are still there, but my body ramped up the honeysuckle verbena- made all the more astringent by the copal. Still a weird mishmash of scents, but now less like 90s goth store and more like 80s bathroom potpourri. Booo

Edited by Madame_mina

Blood: Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

Chimera: cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Shanghai: The crisp, clean scent of green tea touched with lemon verbena and honeysuckle.

A double myrrh, double honeysuckle scent WHOA! Who would think to put two spicy-floral resins like Blood and Chimera with Shanghai? The Lab, that's who B) . 

The amazing thing is how perfectly the green tea and verbena melt into the warm resins of myrrh and copal and the heat of cinnamon and clove for this beautiful convergence of warm and cool. It reminds me of a spice and tea exchange shop in a wooden cabin in the mountains. I'm transported to a place that I want to linger in for hours. For me, the spices are so well balanced, neither overpowering nor getting lost in the presence of the other elements.

The florals are less apparent here than in either Blood or Shanghai - I don't really get them much in Chimera - with the honeysuckle like a little droplet of honey in Shanghai's tea and the dragon's blood so much less prevalent (thank goodness) than in Blood. I can't smell the cherry the way i can in Blood. And traditionally I don't get along super well with myrrh as a primary resin, but it is soothing here, neither powdery nor bubblegummy, just gently sweet and complex in harmony with the richer copal wood.

Shangoochi is pretty magical, I'm not going to lie. Ever since I got the decant, I've been slathering it a lot because of its huge comfort factor. I'm an enthusiastic Chimera fan and a moderate Shanghai fan, and while Shangoochi is a different beast than either of them, it's truly delicious and bottle-worthy. I may like it even better than Chimera! Shangoochi made my Top 10 of 2021 list. If your skin does well with cinnamon and clove - if you liked the duet Cinnamon & Clove especially - and you like tea scents, and you like that feeling you get when you step into an Appalachian shop in a log cabin - I realize this is a very specific list of criteria, but if one or more applies, I can highly recommend this Blap!

I originally passed on this one, even though I have bottles of Chimera and Shanghai, because of the dragon's blood in Blood. But 15 Minutes of Fume and starbow's review got me curious, so I ended up grabbing a leftover partial from a decant circle.

Well, of course the note I was concerned about ends up being prominent on me. It's accompanied by Blood's clove and Chimera's spices and the myrrh that those two blends share. The green tea and lemon from Shanghai brighten this somewhat dusty, dry, spicy resinous scent. The dragon's blood does calm down over time as those notes gain strength, and although this doesn't have as much honeysuckle as one would expect from Chimera and Shanghai sharing those notes, it is noticeable by the end of the day. The cherry in Blood also present at this point, but it is really light and doesn't scream cherry.

I only appreciate Blood once it is super aged, and I think you have to like Blood in order to enjoy this one. And cinnamon and clove. (But it's still not as spicy as Chimera on its own!) I don't think I'd reach for this over my bottles of Chimera or Shanghai, but this blapimpsottle works better than I thought it would, and it was really fun to give it a try.

This just ends up in smoky green tea. Like if you mixed lapsang tea + gunpowder green tea. Smoky. Good throw and wear length.

Funny how different this reads for folks. I got bubblegum from the Blood and cinnamon from the Chimera = Big Red! Pretty much no trace of Shanghai, which is surprising that at leas the lemon didn't peek through. Overall came across like resin & cinnamon bark. I worried it would turn to potpourri, but no! Just warm cinnamon and maybe a hint of fruity sweet.