Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Snekhellden

An imp’s worth of Maiden stuffed into a 5ml of Hellfire plopped into Snake Oil’s mother bottle.

Maiden: A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

Hellfire: A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

Snake Oil: deep, rich earthy notes swirled with vegetal musks, sugared vanilla bean, and dark spices.

I'm getting Hellfire's leather and tobacco and a toned down version of its cinnamon (which is not listed in the notes, but I get from the original scent as well) on a bed of dark musk and soft Snake Oil. I think the pipe tobacco in this is a cherry pipe tobacco. I think Maiden's adding a breath of spicy carnation and rose in the background, and the white tea is brightening up the scent a bit, but on me, this blapimpsottle scent is strongest on the Hellfire components, although the Snake Oil base seems to be increasing in strength with wear.

This is not something I need more of (I prefer Snake Skin for a leathery Snake Oil), but if you're looking for a Hellfire variant, or a leather and tobacco-infused Snake Oil, you should give this a try.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Out of the gate, LEATHER. It's a strong furniture leather that's soaked up the pipe tobacco smoke of many a debauched meeting. (I totally agree with doomsday_disco that it's a cherry pipe tobacco, because when I was sniffing, I started wondering if any of the three blends had fruit in it, thanks to the distinctly fruity smell). Right along side the leather is WHITE TEA liberally sprinkled with florals. It's a pretty amazing sort of Sinner and Saint kind of dichotomy, with the leather/tobacco/musk being really naughty and dirty, and the white tea and dainty bouquet of carnation and rose VERY innocent and young.

Missing in action for me is the Snake Oil. I'm sure Snekhellden needs time to age in order for the Snake Oil to compete with the other two blends, but right now from a fresh decant, I'm getting hardly any, even hours later. The leather is still kicking, the white tea has calmed to a dull roar, florals are still sprinkled, but Snake Oil has yet to join the party. 

I'm amazed at how loudly Maiden speaks here, given the small amount of it compared with the much more "hefty" Hellfire. I put on Hellfire by itself to compare it, and Snekhellden is strangely much louder with the leather and also brighter and punchier thanks to the white tea and florals, whereas Hellfire alone has kind of a cozy by-the-fire-being-naughty vibe to it.

I am probably not going to full size a bottle of this yet, but if the proportions change in my decant before Yules come down, I could definitely change my mind!

Last night in testing this, without remembering what Snake Oil was combined with for its making, I thought it smelled like cherry Snek... and morphed into cherry tobacco Snek.

That's mostly what I'm getting from Snekhellden this morning, too -- with the addition of leather as the blend warms on my skin. The whole is fairly soft, and not much else is coming through for me.

This is a comfortable hearthside blend, almost cozy. I'm not sure I need a bottle, but I've much enjoyed the sampling.

It's a light, sweet leather scent with threads of a lighter perfume wafting throughout. Very evocative somehow, although I'm not sure what it's evoking. 

I don't understand how this is so distinctly cherry! Hellfire on its own never goes to cherry tobacco for me. Perhaps the sugared vanilla from Snake Oil is bringing it out. This is why I was excited to try the Blapimpsottles tho, for the unexpected!

My experience of Snekhellden leads with cherry leather, then I get something sharp (white tea fighting it out with tobacco?) standing on the shoulders of ambergris peeking over a bed of incense-y spicy musk and faint trampled roses. The Hellfire elements are definitely most prominent for me, and it certainly has some throw. It's weirdly good.

I absolutely suck at picking out specific scents, so I’m not sure what it is in this that just punches me in the nose in the best possible way. This is hands down my favorite scent I’ve picked up so far. I’ve already ordered a second bottle, and more than likely will grab a third. I haven’t had a chance to get my hands on any pure Snake Oil, but I do have a couple derivatives, and I can definitely tell that this is in the same family, but there’s something about it that’s just pure joy and it’s the smell I’ve been looking for my entire life but didn’t realize it. I’ve since picked up an imp of Hellfire, sure that it was something in there, and while it’s pleasant I’m not getting that same smack across the nose that I get from Snekhellden. Maybe it’s something in Maiden? I don’t get it from Western Diamondback or Pumpkin Snake Latte, but looking at the Maiden’s ingredients I honestly didn’t think it would be one of those that does this. I guess I’ll need to get an imp of that as well. Whatever it is, when I figure it out I’m probably going to go way overboard ordering anything with that component. I thought I had found my holy grail with PSL, but then Snekhellden showed up and proved that, for me at least, it is The One True Scent™️

If there was such a thing as Snake Oil shampoo, this is how I imagine it would smell. For me Hellfire's leather is reading like Sara Pezzini: super clean new leather jacket leather. Unlike most people I'm not picking up on cherry, but the tea is making an appearance on drydown. There's a sweet vanilla heart rom the Snake Oil, but without the spice. It's nice, but I likely won't full size it; Cottonmouth ticks the 'clean Snake Oil' box a little better than this.

Extra resinous smoky Snake Oil. If there's Maiden in here, it definitely got overpowered by both Snake Oil and Hellfire. Resins, smoke, and Snake Oil. It's like Snake Oil went to mass... black mass. Good throw and wear length.

This reminds me of Snake Skin but with something extra.  In the bottle:  Getting a blast of extra-sweet Snake Oil with some kind of red fruit, almost.  On, wet:  The sweet smoke/incense note bursts forth FAST and leaves a slight whiff of white florals in its wake...to be followed by a slowly developing deep, dry dark leather smeared with Snake Oil.  The final drydown version on me is a gorgeous sophisticated leather thing; very glad I got a backup.  Think of a less "fetish club" version of Snake Skin that's more about the dry leather.  SO nice on.

Snekhellden is sweet fruity Snake Oil on me.  Hellfire disappears within minutes on my skin, so I'm not surprised that it barely shows up for me here.  Nor am I getting Maiden's prominent and beloved carnation.  (Is there a carnation snake oil of any description?  Why not???) I'm jealous that others are getting leather; I get cherry.  This reminds me most of Blood Squib Snake Oil. 

The label on the Blapimpsottle set is the cutest thing ever.

Snekhellden definitely reminds me of Snake Skin with the sweet, dark vanilla and leather (and a hint of something like sweet cherry), but the white tea from Maiden gives it a fresh, lemony brightness.  The lemon fades over a few minutes, though, and then I really enjoy the scent that's left behind.  It's like black yet soft and snuggly leather, dark vanilla, and a sweet smokiness that starts to waft in over the other notes.  The drydown reminds me of a darker Snake Skin with a little smoke.  I really enjoy this blend.  Dark, yet cuddly.

I am generally not a leather-lover, and that is by far what jumped out at me here. Like a souvenir shop full of freshly conditioned leather purses and saddlebags, bright and bracing leather. And a hint of cherry? I love Snake Oil blends, but I didn't get much of that vibe here. Certainly no Maiden. I was hoping for more of either one. Hellfire is sweet & powdery on me, but maybe the two additions got the leather to scream on me. Not for me, mate.