Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Marshmallow and Black Plum

When I saw this release, I immediately bought 2 bottles. The labs plum note is exquisite, black plum sounded even better and marshmallow is, well...collectable!  Fresh out of the mailbox, I could not contain myself and tested a tiny amount.  

The marshmallow is the first scent that escapes from the bottle, (no resemblance to Stek... more like, grain?)  it quickly burns off as the black plum marches in with confidence and sophistication. I do think of Prunella when testing this, but this is very fresh, so I'm not getting the "powder" I did with Punella and thus,  I prefer Marshmallow and Black Plum.  I gravitate to the sweet scents that Beth offers, and I would not think of this is overly sweet or sugary.  It's a total win for me and I will report back when it has settled for a few days. (Might just have to elbow my way back and claim more.) 

I am mega picky about fruit notes. Usually unless it’s Raspberry or Strawberry or Cherry I abstain but I have come to realize I really love Beth’s plum note in just about everything I have ever used with it. I figured the combo of these two would be pretty magical and it is! Straight out of the box and sniffing the bottle I get the black plum direct with a bit of marshmallow but once on my skin the two blend together like a sweet, creamy fruity/fluffy dream. Neither note overpowers the other and the drydown reminds me of something from my childhood although what that is, I cannot say. 

Plum, black plum, lots of plum.

Because of the marshmallow I guess I was expecting something a little sweeter and brighter, something more like Sugar Plum Fairy. It's not like that at all. Deep, purple plum. Not distorted at all, just softened a little.

If you like the Lab's plum note, this will be a surefire win for you.

Like filigree_shadow, I get mostly black plum, dark and purple! As it dries the marshmallow comes out a bit more, giving it a breath of sugar-sweetness, but not much - it's still primarily a black plum scent on me! I have a vanilla bean lotion, and I might try putting that on first. Or seeing how this would layer with something like Ghost Milk or Gingerbread Mummy!

I picked up a decant of this, and when my friend sampled it, her experience was like that of other reviewers: boom plum.

I get the opposite. Some marshmallow notes I simply amp to the moon, and that's the way of it here. At first, I get nothing but poofy vanilla marshmallow. After some minutes, the black plum slinks in, but the marshmallow still keeps it pretty well hemmed in.

So, essentially: lots of marshmallow over a little dollop of black plum.

PLUMMMMMMMM. SO MUCH PLUM! very very .. plum.

i get absolutely no marshmallow from this, just straight up dark purple plums. 🖤💜

Edited by kaileycatface

I don’t know what’s wrong with my nose but the notes I’m getting from this is exactly of those freezie pops/ice pops popsicles. Grape or blue flavor! 

Sweet, slightly sour, juicy black plum with BPAL's perfect marshmallow note. It's a 50/50 split of those two notes to my nose. There is something almost floral and musky to the plum. Gorgeous, and smells very complex for just two notes. 

I didn't expect to get much marshmallow from this, but it's actually quite balanced! Tart black plum and sweet, lightly toasted, fluffy marshmallow is a great combination here. It's sweeter and more gourmand than I expected, although the plum comes out more as it wears. 

Clouds of sweet creamy marshmallow, rich and creamy, with plenty of candy-sweet-with-a-hint-of-tart black plum. What a perfect duet. Foodie and lovely.  Reminds me of those scented Strawberry Shortcake dolls of my childhood, as well.

I've tried so many perfume houses at this point in my life and the Lab still has the best plum notes that I've ever smelled, so I knew that I was going to love this blend.  I don't smell marshmallow exactly (this doesn't have marshmallow's creaminess), but I think that the marshmallow adds to the sweetness of the plum.  This is like a dark, juicy, slightly tart, perfectly ripe plum that's been dusted in glittering sugar.  I want to layer it with other things, but I also think that it's perfect on its own and I don't want to mess it up.  Hopefully I can get a couple more bottles of this one before it disappears.  It is worth hoarding.

it continually amazes me how you can't judge a perfume by it's listed notes, which i guess is one of my main motivations to SMELL ALL THE THINGS. 

i got a decant of this on a whim, expecting a fun, fluffy, fruity bit of frippery, but i was completely off base. so much depth for a duet!   that black plum is a little musky, with the merest breath of a dark floral, and a sophisticated fruitiness. the marshmallow doesn't smell like marshmallow at all to me, just a smooth sweet carrier for that divine, unique black plum. 

i thought this might be a good bedtime scent, but i'm finding it a little heady for that.  but i would definitely reach for this if i had a little canoodling in store, because i think it's the kind of scent that would make someone just want to eat you up. 

edit:  the new bottle i got definitely smells different than the decant! the bottle steps more in line with my preconceived notions:  floofy sweet marshmallow and candied plum.  it smells great, but lacks the depth and sophistication i found in the decant.  hoping it grows some legs in the bottle cellar! 

Edited by MamaMoth

My favorite of the 2021 plums!

This isn't quite classic BPAL plum to me, which is dark, gothy, swoony, and often grounded by patchouli or oudh. However, it is a lovely plum that reads as sweet purpled musk to me. The floofy marshmallow (same one as in Marshmallows Gum Drops Peppermint Candies!) brings the fragrant plum into a candied place, but not as much as the recent Sugar Plums of Yule 2021. If those were too sweet for you, this duet dials back the sweetness a notch or two, and fluffs up the purple fruit to be a bit more ethereal, more dreamy.

My decant of this aged into something really delicious and complex, while the bottle is definitely lagging behind and remains a little young-smelling. I think this will age really beautifully. If you are a fan of early-era BPAL plums, this probably will be your jam! And if 2021 plum has been treating you dirty, give the duet a try and see if it is a bit kinder. I may not backup my bottle, but it should stay in my collection for a good long while!

The labs marshmallow note has become a favorite of mine recently so I blind brought a bottle of this and it is quite lovely.

I get quite a balanced mix of the black plum and the marshmallow. I think the marshmallow here is more toasty and gourmand. This is a little sugary to me, which must be coming from the marshmallow. Plum is normally a note which becomes very dominating for me in many blends but to my surprise it does not take over here. This really does smell like a plum flavored marshmallow! 

ETA: This is quickly becoming one of the scents I reach for alot, definitely becoming a favorite 🥰

Edited by becca_s

I'm normally not a fan of sweeter scents, but I wanted to give this a shot. I agree with an earlier comment that this would be great for canoodling - the marshmallow is lovely and soft, and the plum gives it a nice dark feel - it's more almost more purple-musk than purple-fruit to me. It avoids being ghastly sweet AND the plum does not turn the whole thing into craft store ambience, which is a win.

This was a disaster with my skin chemistry. Perhaps the plum is a musky one, which doesn't read as fruit to me, and overpowered the marshmallow entirely? Not for me!