Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Every Day is Halloween

Skin-warmed sandalwood and toasted pumpkin settle into a gentle blend suitable for all 365 days of Halloween.

One day out of the mail, this reminds me of a mix between last Halloween’s Pumpkin Booze and The Magician’s Wand. The sandalwood is sunlit and golden, and the pumpkin is sweet and gourmand-but-not-foodie. I’m definitely holding onto this one. It’s lovely to wear now, but experience tells me it will age into something even lovelier.

Edited by abejita
Typo

In The Bottle: This scent is reminding me of something sweet without being sugary, soft without being powdery. It seems so so familiar, but I cannot for the life of me place it. It's driving me a little bonkers, if I'm being totally honest- that's how familiar it is. 🤔🤨

Wet On Skin: As it warms on my skin, the pumpkin is separating itself out and becoming more distinct- not buttery like some pumpkin notes, and not pumpkin spice, either: this is just fresh, big round orange pumpkin, with a sweet, amber-ish, dusky base that I can only assume is the sandalwood starting to bring up the rear.

Dry Down: huh. There is something vaguely boozy about this scent, though there's nothing in the description to indicate that should be a thing. I feel like after all these years, this thing, which sounds deceptively simple -sandalwood and pumpkin- is in fact surprisingly complex. It's unlike any version of either of those notes I've ever experienced, and it's very, very compelling. There's definitely some sexiness in the mix and history has proven that any scent from the Lab with sexy potential only grows said potential as time goes on.

In All: Delighted to have a bottle, excited to see how she ages!

Edited by VioletChaos

From the wand, I get dry-toasted sandalwood and a little... perfumey skin musk?

On my arm, it's akin to the wand sniff until it starts to warm up. Then some warmed pumpkin mash comes in: warm, plain, and a little buttery.

Meanwhile, I start to get a kind of black peppery quality to the toasted note as it warms. This becomes a sort of black pepper-toned toasted sandalwood, with lots of that grainy texture I usually get from sandalwood. A skin-warmed musk wafts around supporting these notes.

Essentially: Dry, toasty, slightly peppery sandalwood and warm pumpkin mash over skin musk.

At first, without looking at the notes, I thought this was like a... red leaf coated in some spicy hard candy with some sandalwood thrown into the mix. It remains that way for a while, but then becomes mostly about the sandalwood and toasted pumpkin seeds (not pumpkin itself). The pumpkin seeds really do smell like freshly baked and salted pumpkin seeds! I also get a peppery quality to this, which I don't know if it is due to a secret unlisted pepper note or cashmeran, which tends to do that on me. It's probably a part of the sandalwood, and I think it's keeping me from enjoying this more, as something in this is reading as a little too 'perfume'y' and sharp for my nose to appreciate. I was hoping for a little more pumpkin and sweetness here!

Oh wow. oh wow, is this gorgeous.  This smells like a super expensive department store perfume in some ways; something that Thierry Mugler would do as a one-off.  In the bottle:  A sort of sweet non-gourmand sweet spicy...thing?  Not like pumpkin nor pumpkin spice nor a floral?  On, wet: Getting a warm almost caramel with a hint of spice and the sandalwood--a rich, deep, yet not too powerful warm red/orange sandalwood starts to make itself known.  Drydown:  Getting almost a cashmere-like warm fuzzy blanket of sandalwood and spicy, almost peppery warm pumpkin flesh.  Soooo nice.  May need a backup.  This is SO SO SO cozy and easy to wear.  I could also see this being a great layering item.  EDIT:  I know what this reminds me of.  SilkyBat but with more spice and some pumpkin and a bit of a cashmere note.

Edited by Threemoons

In the bottle, this is a warm, golden sandalwood and gourd scent. No pumpkin spice here, just sweet, golden, almost buttery pumpkin. There's also a hint of toasted pumpkin seeds coming through to my nose. It goes through a rough, slightly plasticky phase as it dries down, but it then calms down into a warm, soft sandalwood with golden, sweet pumpkin. Good throw and staying power, and surprisingly complex for just sandalwood and pumpkin.

oh my gourd, this is a gorgeous warm sandalwood. The spice is sweet but not too gourmand. Sometimes the Lab's spice note turns screechy on me and blows out any other scents, but here the spice is perfectly balanced with the sandalwood. This is almost like a spice sweet skin musk. Decent throw and a few drops has lasted 15+ hours. I need at least one backup bottle of this!

Edited by MoonRayne

Oh hell yeah, that's the stuff. Warm aromatics from the sandalwood backed with a little smooooooth pumpkin earthiness. I was surprised to see only two notes listed, this reads much more complex. As with a couple above reviews, I'm also picking up a cashmere quality. Almost a little nutty. Really just warm and glowing and lovely. 

This starts off as a smoky green scent, and ends up in a smoke, pumpkin, and a whiff of sandalwood. Warm, complex, and sophisticated. Halloween for every day of the year. Medium throw and wear length.

This one is odd on me at first. Almost like cinnamon, paint, and pumpkin were all smooshed together in a plastic ziploc bag. So weird. The sandalwood + pumpkin is almost fruitlike, like a heavily cinnamon spiced mulled wine, served hot, then they dump cinnamon powder on top after. Actually this is giving me flash backs to hot buttered rum at a rennie post-faire party. Super pungent and up your nose. ICHH.

THEN. THOUGH... BRO...This turns into the classy. Like a demure, yet suss spicy chicky babe on a vintage Halloween postcard:

vintage_halloween_cauldron_magic_postcar

What does she conjure in that cauldron? The good shit.

It's not your usual, sweet pumpkin spice type blend. This is more like what her house smells like when she invites friends over for Halloween, a deep, properly aged red wine made warm and comforting with pumpkin pulp and mulling spices, like the aroma never really leaves the walls of her cozy, wooden house in the woods. I didn't read black pepper, but can smell it now that I've read a few of the reviews.. Might read potpourri on some people, but I like it? Atmospheric.

This went from disaster to wearable pretty fast. It's not what I expected at all, but it's a great blend. It's a good wine type blend for those who can't do the wine note really (usually goes weird on me). It's not your usual BPAL and not like anything in my collection.

Well done, Lab. I hope this sticks around for future Halloweens.

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

I cannot stress enough how much I like this, but it may come from a bias.

I had to double check the notes in this because I thought it was the scent of a lotion I had that was pumpkin & tonka bean. It’s been awhile since I had the lotion, but I loved it, it was just very ephemeral on my skin. I hunted for a perfume with the notes, never found it. Till, kind of, now.
So maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but it doesn’t matter because this is what my brain wanted. Like a bit of a memory you missed & now you kind of want to huff it. I won’t. I need it to last, but man alive.

Wet: When first applied, I can find the sandalwood. It’s a really smooth blend of the two main notes, so it comes off me as a pumpkin grown in a sandalwood tree. I’d have been happy with this soft, toasty fall scent. But, in the dry down, the pumpkin started taking over & that little spice note in sandalwood turned it in to a strange, but delightful pumpkin spice. Then… I forgot I was wearing it for awhile. 
Dried Down: about two hours later is when my brain went “I recognise that scent… what is on me??” & that is when I remembered loving a tonka pumpkin scent. It remains a really well blended, smooth, toasty fall scent, but also satisfies a scent need I have been missing. 
If there were not 87 other LE’s I wanted, I would buy 87 more bottles & justify how it’s also a really superb summer scent, splendid for spring, & a winter time wonder. 

Everyday, could indeed, be Halloween. 

Edited by TheLampades

Interesting! At first, in the bottle and on wet, I thought it was almost too sharp - heavy sandalwood and something akin to black pepper! Pumpkin in the back, being quiet.

As it dries, the pumpkin comes out more; now it's very well balanced. It's not sweet - I was actually hoping for a little more buttery sweetness - but it is warm and toasty and cozy, sort of the feeling of sitting out on the porch on a dry hay-warm October night, in an old wooden rocking chair, with pumpkins glowing.

Awesome Husband said it smelled a little masculine, but not in a bad way - woodsy and peppery.

Edited by splendidissima

This year’s Halloween goodies have been knocking it out of the park with sandalwoods. While this is somewhat similar to Pyramid of Skulls, the pumpkin makes this scent so wonderfully cozy. I don’t smell cinnamon per se, but this smells to me like the moment after you sprinkle some cinnamon on the lid and inside of your jack o lantern, light the candle, and close it up. The flame toasts the pumpkin flesh and cinnamon so it doesn’t smell like cinnamon anymore, but that unique jack o lantern smell.

It’s like someone lit a sandalwood cone in place of a candle in a jack o lantern. Beautiful.

Okay, here's the thing. I feel the notes, for once, do NOT adequately convey the tone of this perfume! Skin-warmed sandalwood, toasted pumpkin, gentle blend....er...well.... YES and no??

I would not describe Every Day is Halloween as gentle. To me, it is sharp, almost biting. It verges on the edge of that burning that most of the 2021 Weenies had for me, a burning quality I associate with the high alcohol content of commercial perfume sprays. But underneath that is an orange quality that is fueled by swirling leaves and the bite of crisp autumn air. It is spooky in a way that only fall can be. The sandalwood dances with fiery colors in a skeletal swirl. The pumpkin is a leering jack-o-lantern, spicy and evil, rather than the usual richly sweet pumpkin of the last ten years of BPAL, or the buttery pumpkin of the early years. There is no sweetness here. It's all menacing, all spooky, and I kind of love that.

And the final reckoning: evocative as it is, I do want some more dark woodsy depth out of this blend, not just the high-pitched terror. Where I skin-tested originally (er, knee, my arms were full of other scents, DON'T JUDGE), I apparently got more skin musk depth than from my elbow, upon retesting. So I think I will try layering this with a patchouli/resinous/etc. blend for some more complexity during its first year of aging. I'm excited to get my full bottle of it and see where it goes.

Edited by starbrow

Think I might have found another new favorite 😅 I definitely agree that the notes don't convey the true feeling and complexity of this perfume! Actually, I kind of did a double-take after sniffing to make sure I didn't grab the wrong decant. On my skin, the sandalwood takes a bit of a back seat. It's definitely present, but I actually get a pleasantly sharp bite of ginger at first, which melts slowly into a gingery clove backed by bright sandalwood. I don't get that much pumpkin from this—more pumpkin spice, but that isn't quite right either. It's not pumpkin spice in the PSL, pumpkin pie gourmand way, but more the cologne versions of individual spice elements of that blend. Like I mentioned, I get a lot of ginger and clove from this! Feels like a smart masculine or maybe unisex scent to me. Maybe made a bit warmer or creamier by the pumpkin, but if you told me there wasn't any pumpkin in this at all, I'd believe you.

I'm just really in love with this! It's a bit warm but not so much that it can't be worn out of season, and it's definitely not too autumn-y or pumpkin-y to be relegated only to the fall season. I'll definitely be buying a full bottle of this one before the Weenies come down!!

I love this scent, and it was one I had to get a second bottle of just in case it never returns. If you like Kobold Barista, I feel like they're cousins. It's warm, spicy, toasty, non-gourmand sweet, and absolutely appropriate for any day of the year.

I took a chance on this before it went down and I'm glad I did. The sandalwood isn't really perfumy, it's very woody and there's a bit of something like lemon in it. Wet, I get a lot of a pumpkin spice blend, but as it dries it melds with the sandalwood. There is a toasty vegetal note in here, which must be the pumpkin. The sandalwood is the real star of the show, though.

I'm happy I got a bottle of this before it left the site because I really enjoy wearing it.

I agree with previous reviews that this is a more complex scent than its described.  When first applied I get the spices- I can definitely pick out black pepper and ginger and maybe a tiny bit of cinnamon. The spices are mixed with something sweet and musky though- perhaps this is the pumpkin or this contains a musk. After a bit of wear time I get the sandalwood which is a warm, toated sandalwood that doesn't veer into being high pitched or taking over. The pumpkin is really hard for me to pick out and I wonder if it is the musky element I can smell here. It is so well blended that all the notes are hard to distinguish individually. This is warm and inviting kind of scent, alot more complex than it's description. 

So I thought I reviewed this last autumn after I got it, but don't see my review! 

I am wearing this again today, so my review is based on my now 6+ month aged scent. 

I didn't and still don't get actual pumpkin, toasted or not, from this. On my skin, it's a warm, cozy, slightly spiced sandalwood with a hint of powder. It's really lovely and most definitely wearable all year round. The spice is not identifiable, not as a "pumpkin spice" blend, kind of a dusty cinnamon stick, but not that strong. Whatever this is, it is very pretty and wears close to my skin. I love it.

Finally reveiwing my bottle from last year (2021)! I think this scent does a good job of what its name claims: being a Halloween scent suitable for every day of the year. It is not too heavy on the pumpkin or or too heavily spiced like most halloween scents tend to be. The beautiful warm Sandalwood predominates and brings it out of foodie teritory making it a very wearable and cozy unisex scent.

At first I wasn't sure if I liked it since I don't normally like pumpkin or skin musk scents but especially after some aging this is probably my current favorite Halloweenie scent going into spooky season this year! 🦇 I love it! I'm also really happy to see this scent return this year!

Edited by she's a carnival

2022 version!

Oh, this is SPICY! I get a lot of sandalwood and then CINNAMON! CLOVE! OTHER UNIDENTIFIED SPICES ALSO. And then a tiny little bit of pumpkin underneath. It reminds me a bit of Morocco, which is my sandalwood+spice reference point, but the spices here are much brighter. 

Once dry, it balances out a bit-the sandalwood tamps down the spice a touch, and I think that as it ages it will get a lot more harmonious. So far this is my runaway favorite of the Weenies this year--warm and spicy is all I really want from cold weather scents. If I get a backup of anything it will be this one.

Longtime listener, first time caller. Reviewing the 2021 version.

Agree with others who identify something sharp, cologne-y/masculine-leaning in this. But disagree about the pumpkin being “spicy”…to me, the pumpkin is warm and fleshy, like the real deal tossed with butter or oil, roasted, and pulled fresh outta the oven. This is layered with a beautiful, unrepentant sandalwood.

And here’s the thing- it reminds me exactly of a sandalwood lotion both a late bf and I wore endlessly one Summer, like warm skin musk, late Summer sunshine. It evokes better days, the scent of love, warmth, & happiness. (interesting that others describe it as being familiar, too). Meant something to me to be able to recall those moments so viscerally (& never fails to amaze me how BPAL magic does that), so even though it leans a little more “homme” than scents I usually wear, I got three bottles.

My 2021 bottles smell like a lightly spiced and toasted pumpkin and wonderfully creamy sandalwood.

My 2022 bottle smells like Pumpkin Spice Latte '10. I also got a bottle of Pumpkin Spice Latte '22 and it smells like last year's Every Day is Halloween. I suspect a mis bottling switcheroo episode. Glad I ordered both.

I'm writing this in case anyone else gets extreme spice from their bottle this year- it may indeed be Pumpkin Spice Latte instead.

Of course, I broke this one out on Halloween proper (2022).  In the bottle: Pumpkin Spice BLAST with some fresh pumpkin and cooked pumpkin. On, wet:  Warms up fast on the skin, with an initial blast of cinnamon and cloves.  The cinnamon comes in VERY hot.  Drydown  Takes a while, settles down to a classic pumpkin spice and pumpkin with the merest touch of sandalwood incense on me.  LONG drydown/development.  Medium throw but long wear time.