Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Ivy Twining Around Discarded Skull

Smoldering incense, scorched brown sandalwood, drooping petals, noxious English ivy berries, and a tangle of leaves.

Ivy Twining is much more fresh than I expected based on the dark adjectives in the description. Its hard for me to pick out the particular notes. It's very herbacious and green. The petals come across adding a floral note. No incense, a touch of sandalwood in drydown, ivy but without the berries, and no leaves as I know them.

Im going to give this some extra time to settle and come back to it. I'm hoping it darkens up some, or that some of those other notes come out more. Ill update this when i test it again.

Edit: OKAY so a few months later, I get some smoky incense that darkens it up some. Its still very ivy heavy, very green, but not as much of the "fresh" feeling that it had. Now it has more of the depth and mix of notes that I'd hoped for. I like this much better now than I did when I first got it!

Edited by deadlyves

This one confused my nose! It smells almost identical to Holy Trinity, a past Lilith. Holy Trinity is springtime daffodils on a riverbank, so nothing related to the notes here! I expected a dark, somber fall scent, something that hinted at impending winter. But Ivy is bright, growing, and green. I love it, but will this freshness decay with time? Will it ever have that haunting doom that was promised?

Dark ivy incense.  It reminded me of Hallow-e'en 1914 except less leafy.  I swear when I first tried this there was a really pretty incense coming through loud and clear, but every time since then it has been all about the ivy.  This is close to being soapy in a way, so I get where others are coming from when they say it's fresh.

I got this because I thought it sounded like maybe a new updated take on Meditation In Autumn, and it kind of is that.  I'm pretty happy with it. 

PS, If you wanted more sandalwood from this you could try layering with Pyramid of Skulls, I would imagine that could work

Edited by forspecial_plate

Oo I really like the incense in this one. Soft and cuddly,  kind of like how your skin and clothes smell after burning some earthy green incense. Sigh totally vibing.

Had a chance to retry, this is a note in this similar to Blacker Than The Raven Wings of Midnight that is turning this sharp and mentholic + green earth. It's far lighter with no patchouli, so there's that. If you enjoyed the high notes in Raven Wings I think you will enjoy this!

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

I get fresh Nivea cream, notes of incense, leaves, and smoke. With a hint of motor oil. This would appeal to those that like the Wasteland type of blends, where there is some grit to it. Medium throw and wear length.

This is not as bad as most of the Weenies 2021. That said, it's not great. A light green vibe, a mild lotion smell, and something a little burning deep at its core. I really would like it to be motor oil deep in there, but I am unsure if aging will actually bring that out of it. I'm not willing to risk a full bottle of it, given that I have some really good motor oils already. (Streets of Detroit, Wasteland World.) This decant will be one to watch over time, but I don't think I will be sad not to have a full of it.

Watch me eat my words in a few years :P 

I actually really like this one!! The incense, sandalwood, and "drooping" notes are definitely latecomers on me and even on dry-down remain really subtle, though they do lend the scent a really nice brown warmth. This is all about the ivy on my skin—a dark freshness and greenness that definitely feels more "dark academia" than bright sunny garden. It's definitely a green, leafy scent, but it's got a lot more depth and intrigue than most of my other greenery scents. A winner for me!