Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

A Skull, A Music Book, A Snuffed-Out Candle

Starts off as vague, soapy florals and candle wax. It's giving me craft store vibes. A sweet, soft leather, like the note from Diana, comes out and it's sweet leather with sweet, waxy beeswax, it's okay at this stage, but not extraordinary. Then it softens down to waxy soap. 

I actually like this a lot. I have both lights of men’s lives to compare it to, as well as dalliances by candlelight. This is much less vanillic or sweet than those two. There is no honey obviously. I’m testing straight out of the mail, so it’s waxy candle with slight tones of a soft leather. I’ll update after I’ve had a little longer

A realistic garden kind of scent, star jasmine to my nose but in fact that is the tulips being their soft little floral selves rather than the blast that is usually jasmine. This is quite a lovely floral. Beneath it is a soapy quality that I want to say is the sandalwood. I love beeswax, but it doesn't come out for a long long time, it's more in the warm quality that this perfume takes on late in the drydown. The leather really doesn't make an appearance at all, either. Very interesting, because leather isn't usually a shy note.

As a musician, I was hoping this would be a bottle upgrade, was in truth hoping for a bookish scent, but instead this is a soft, sweet floral without much of the other supporting notes to temper it. I think if I wore more florals, this would be an easy bottle choice. It's very beautiful, just not quite for me.

This was one of my brother's favorites of the Weenies and Liliths he tested, although all I could smell on him was screeching tulip. On me, the tulip is also really loud, but I am also getting some beeswax beneath it as well as some leather. It remains this way for quite some time, but the dry, white sandalwood joins these notes after a few hours, so that it's a somewhat sharp tulip and dry sandalwood with a little more beeswax and some brown leather. I agree that it smells somewhat soapy, sadly.

I thought this might be like the tulip version of The Mountebank (A confidence trick: leather, sweet balsam, white sandalwood, thieves’ rosin, and dusty lavender). This one is not as smooth as that blend as this is intensely tulip, there's less of that syrupy, brown leather, and this one isn't as sweet. I'm glad I went the decant route instead of blind bottling this, as I don't think this is a leather and beeswax blend that I would wear. But since my brother loved this one when he tried it, I'll either give him my decant or see if he'd like a bottle.

On me this is mostly a sweet, balsamic beeswax with some soapy tulips. I tend to amp some balsamic notes a lot, and I'm definitely getting some here; it blends well into the beeswax. There's a hint of the listed white sandalwood at first, but it fades under the tulips as they intensify.

The tulips strengthen during the wet phase. I'm not sure I would have placed them as tulips without the notes list -- usually I encounter the flower with other early-bloomer spring flowers, and it smells different here with the balsamic beeswax. But as it blooms in drydown, it gets more distinctly tulippy.

After drydown, the balance shifts toward tulips over balsamic beeswax. There's a hint of the leather, but it's mostly washed over by the other notes.

When I first tested this, the tulip was stronger than expected and I put it aside to revisit. 

Now as I come back to it, the wet scent still leads floral, but dries and settles into something truly evocative of a worn leather book cover on my skin - something well handled and smooth. The sweet beeswax stays in the background with a calmer floral standing in between the book and candle.

Applied lightly it remains very close to the skin, but not sure it would have much throw anyway. Comforting and subtle.

Wet: Hello beeswax! I am a gently scented candle.  

Semidry: Flowers (more like jasmine to me than tulips), beeswax, and sandalwood.

Dry:

L wrist - I found the leather.  It's hanging out with the sandalwood in some zen cowboy bromance.

R wrist - Less jasmine, more tulip.  Beeswax and leather holding it down.

I like this.  It's a very indoor and the-days-are-getting-shorter-where-is-my-book-I-desire-my-own-company smell to me.  This would make a great atmo.

this sounded really interesting, but not sure which way it would go on me. at the beginning i get a lot of the tulips, which is like a non-descript wildflower note, i think. it's bright and kind of grassy, then it gets more soapy and green. a bit later i get a hint of beeswax after a few minutes. the beeswax gets stronger over time and balances out the floral notes. there may be a tiny hint of sandalwood, but i get no leather at all.

Tulip apparently smells like star jasmine to me -- that's not a bad thing; star jasmine is the much tamer cousin to regular jasmine and I tend to enjoy it. The beeswax gets stronger as it dries, and it becomes a very pretty, pollen-dusted beeswax similar to that found in Beeswax, Amber, & Star Jasmine, though this is less bold. The balsamic beeswax is warm and waxy, not strongly honeyed. I don't detect leather, exactly, but it and the sandalwood seem to be providing a smooth base. I expected something a little drier and more bookish from the name, but I like it.

A Skull, A Music Book, A Snuffed Out Candle smells more like spring than like fall.  It's a sweet floral anchored by the beeswax, with a gentle sandalwood and no discernible leather on me.  Decent throw and it lasts all day on me.  I will keep my decant because I love beeswax scents of all kinds, even spring floral ones, and this one is certainly lovely, but I was hoping for leather. 

So all I get is tulips in the beginning, which is not great since I'm not a floral girl. However, if I can wait a good 20-30 minutes, the dry down ends up mostly beeswax with a hint of  leather in the background which is DIVINE. Definitely bottle-worthy for me in the end.

Tulips, beeswax and leather. The tulips are on the strongest, but it dries to a gorgeous beeswax-leather combination. Good throw and wear length.