Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Acid-Laced Butterscotch Lozenge

Kids and old people love ’em! Too bad this bright ‘n’ shiny morsel holds a terrible, trippy, low-pH secret…

Kids and old people love ’em! Too bad this bright ‘n’ shiny morsel holds a terrible, trippy, low-pH secret…

•  

This is warm and almost boozy with a real bite. It's at its MOST deeply and sublimely butterscotchy in the bottle and while wet, and then very quickly starts giving off a gingery heat (or perhaps capsaicin) that doesn't cut the sweetness so much as imbue it with more dimension and character. Still firmly in the foodie realm, but a less familiar delicacy -- which pulls it out of the range of "comfort food" and into something more like "discomfort food," I suppose. Which is fine by me!

It weirdly does smell shiny and hard to me, like actual candy. I find myself reapplying it often just to go through all of the stages again. Hours of entertainment! 

I was gifted a frottle of this in my Halloweenie order and am so grateful to the Lab!

My husband loves those "grandpa" butterscotch hard candies and took his place as a rightful grandpa with them in his pocket a few years ago. The butterscotch is strong in this one and immediately brings them to mind! But there is an undercurrent of something dark and sinister in a spicy way. I agree that it seems to be ginger. The way that it appears just under the surface from where the butterscotch lays, is so unique, and takes away from the sugary sweetness that butterscotch turns on me. As it wears on, the dark spiciness is very familiar to me from my favorite super spicy pumpkin scent, 2009 Pumpkin IV, which has this same dark gingery vibe. Instead of pumpkin, add butterscotch and these could be cousins. I really love this one!

Nice throw and wear length on this one. 

I'm going to say this smells like Speculoos! For those unfamiliar:

"Speculoos is a type of spiced shortcrust biscuit with sugar, butter, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg".

It's a battle between the cinnamon and ginger and I think cinnamon is winning. It is delicious. Butterscotch is amazingly in the background and smells more like a butterscotch cookie than a candy. This is even better than expected and way more "holiday" than sinister. Like finishing the most delicious cup of chai tea you've ever had and sniffing deep into the bottom of the cup 🤤

Ok wow so I almost skipped this because I was nervous about the “acid” part, but I finally bought a partial and it is divine. I get the lab’s delicious Butterscotch note combined with a slight booze (not heavy) and a spiced Cardamom. I love it and am so glad I didn’t miss this one!

I mainly get butterscotch and apple sugar. It's got a hint of cardamom to it. Very sugary. Good throw and wear length.

Hmmm, I’m going to have to give this one another test at some point.  In the bottle I definitely get super buttery butterscotch candies.  

Wet I would swear there was apple and something spicy and warm.  I think I’m in the Ginger camp on this one.  At one point it reminded me of flat ginger ale. 

Dry down I’m having difficulty figuring out what I feel this smells like other than deep, dark sugary spice.  The closest thing I can compare it too right now is melted dark brown sugar with crystallized ginger.  It’s a much deeper scent than I was expecting which I’m super happy about.  Whatever it is, it’s lovely and unique.  Will come back after another test some other time.

Warm, sweet butterscotch – sugary, like actual hard candy? Hard to describe. There’s also a boozy note – rum? Reminds me of Grog.  There’s also a ton of what I believe is spicy cinnamon, although others said ginger. It reminds me of a pumpkin spice scent without the pumpkin. I’ll keep it for autumn.

This is like a butterscotch and cinnamon cookie on me. It got better with a little resting so definitely check your bottle if you haven’t in a while it’s getting more yummy 😋 

In the Decant: Butterscotch candy.

Wet: Butterscotch candy with a spicy edge.

Dry: Graham crackers? It has a hearty amount of throw and I'm happy about that since I like smelling like food. There's something sitting on top of the yummy graham cracker scent that I can only guess is the acid. It is a little bit of burning in the nose, but not unpleasant and it doesn't sting on the skin. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my decant.