Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Mouth So Sweet, So Poisonous

A sugared venom, dark and sweet: wild plum and crystallized honey with opium pod, bourbon vanilla, and crushed poisonous berries.

Dark and mysterious! Smells like juicy sour red berries, plum and rose incense. There's something rosey in this although no rose notes are listed. Not getting any honey or vanilla. Time to bust out the darkest red lipstick you own!

This is so good! It reminds me of a spookier Lady Una, with a similar honey and vanilla thing going on in the background, but it's much more tart from the plum and berry notes. I am not detecting the opium very strongly, but I'm sure it adds to the venomous vibe of the scent and will likely deepen with age. 

This is gorgeous! Definitely dark and sultry. Fans of the labs opium and plum notes would love this. On me, the opium and plum are most prominent yet the berries and honey are definitely very noticeable as well. It smells mysterious and dark but in a seductive kind of way. Like another reviewer said earlier, even though incense isn't listed as one of the notes officially, it definitely gives an incensed kind of vibe.

I think this will age beautifully and become even more deeper and darker with age. This is the combination of dark and sweet that I love to see from the lab.

Gorgeous plummy opium incense.  I agree there's something almost like rose, like the throatiness of a really deep velvety rose. I also agree with the spooky Lady Una vibes, the honey has that musky quality, but it's not as sweet and honey-forward as that scent is on me. This is really about those delicious dark fruits and opium. So sultry!

Edited by roseus

I like this. My first thought on applying Mouth So Sweet was "Lady Una gone dark," with a similar honey over berries, and it looks like that's a shared experience.

There is a plum hiding in this honeyed berry blend, though, and a not-quite-sinister opium incense. Like others above, I'm also smelling rose, mostly a red rose. The bourbon quality of the vanilla adds a little sophistication, lingering in the background.

The balance is lovely: Honey, deep fruits, and opium are sharing a limelight on me, and working together, with the other notes rounding them out.

This smells floral and fruity at application, sort of like lychee. Sweet, but not overly so. Where I applied it on my inner elbow, the floral “lychee” scent is most present, and I can also smell honey instead of the vague sweetness where I rubbed it on my wrist. This doesn’t read as very sinister or sultry to me, more youthful and feminine sweet floral fruitiness.

I think I may be a victim of poor skin chemistry with this one. As it dries the sweet floral fruitiness fades away, and it turns powdery and develops what I can only refer to as a “stinky floral” scent. Like a half-dead bouquet from the grocery store. Eventually even the powdery smell leaves and I just get “stinky floral”. It’s not a strong smell, so I can just ride it out, but I don’t currently have plans to get a full bottle. I’ll revisit this in the future to see if it improves.

i had a similar experience to @Fletchkat in the dry down - In the bottle, they smelled amazing and I was so excited to try it on. But the plum/opium mix it opened with went sour on me. Then, I got the same dry down as fletch explained - half dead smelly flowers.

i’m waiting to see if this morphs a little, but it’s so far a no go for me 

In the decant: My first instinct is to say berries and opium, but I really think it's plum and opium I'm smelling. 

On my skin: 

Wet, opium is the strongest note, though plum is still present. As it dries, I don't get sour, but the opium becomes very dominant and almost smoky on me. At this stage, this is 100% a leading lady, top billing, femme fatale kind of perfume. It's beautiful, but it's also intense. The plum is there, adding a bit of roundness and juiciness to the opium, but it's definitely a background player right now. 

I think this perfectly encapsulates the idea of being both sweet and poisonous. It's stunning, both in the sense of being beautiful and in the sense of being extremely potent. I like this a lot but wonder if I will have limited occasion to wear it. I will want to wear it sometimes, though, just to be able to smell it on me. I think I will hang onto my decant and use it but will probably not try to acquire a bottle. 

A thick, heavy scent. It's plummy and I think the opium is what stands out for me. The honey is also prominent, but it's a strong, rich honey, pulled by the plum and berries. While I tried this before bed, it's not comforting for sleep. It would be a good scent to wear while reading gothic novels. 

In the bottle, I smell nothing but smoky opium. Wet on my skin, the honey starts to make an appearance - and after about two minutes, has completely taken over.

I never get any hints of plum or berry - on me, this isn't dark or mysterious at all, but a light, golden, slightly powdery, honey skin-scent. Quite nice, but not at all what I was expecting based on the other reviews! Chemistry is a weird thing.

Berry musk, opium and a note of plum. Fruitier than I expected, muskier and heavy with the opium. Seductive. Medium throw and wear length.

This reminds me of the incense they burn at my massage/reflexology place. I think it’s the opium! It’s alluring and mysterious. The main opium note is sweetened by a touch of honey, and the tart plum and berry notes are very gentle in contrast. A lovely mix of notes, glad to have a bottle!

In the bottle: A fairly dark blend of opium. Something sharp/sour but in a good way and berry-ish. A little bit wild, definitely not a domesticated fruit.

On skin: Honeyed opium with bourbon vanilla adding something to it in the background, and a surprisingly delightful note of sour, poisonous berries threaded throughout. I wasn't sure what "poisonous berries" could possibly be, but it turns out that poisonous berries is exactly what the note brings to mind: wonderfully tart, sour smelling berries you find in the woods that look perfect and tempting but you definitely should not eat. I was apprehensive about the plum and berry notes, since I don't really like wearing perfumes that remind me of food, but they don't take over. This could maybe be interpreted as being gourmand, but like, poisonous gourmand. Gourmand you do not eat. I'm still not sure what plum is exactly but whatever fruit note is in here is acceptable. Overall, this is a darkly sweet scent due to the prevalence of the opium blended with all the other sweeter notes. "Sugared venom, dark and sweet" is a pretty apt description.

Drydown: I am sssoooo poisssonoussssss! The opium and berries have gotten a little bit more distinct while still remaining sweetened by honey and bourbon vanilla. It's strong enough to linger but not overwhelmingly so. This is a delight!

Reminds me a lot of The waltz from the Crimson peak collection, but a slightly more purply and colder one. Light and flowy. Heavy on the bourbon and opium for me. I don't think there's much of the berries, vanilla or plum on my skin though - hoping these will show themselves later on, bc this is good and very close to being GREAT. 

When I first applied Mouth so sweet, it started out very perfumey but after settling in for a few minutes it becomes a sweet, plummy scent. On me the plum is front and centre, backed up by the berries. In the background there is a musky honey and a light dusting of opium and bourbon vanilla. I can kind of see the Lady Una comparisons and I think perhaps they share a similar honey musk note. This is a far more sultry and sweet scent though and maintains a slightly perfumey vibe on me. On my skin, this is all about the plum and berries. Even though it's quite fruity the plum and berries are definitely of the darker kind and opium makes this a deeper scent that's perfect for autumn wear but would also suit being worn year round. This is a deep purple scent to me and its quite lovely.

Edited to add: after about an hour I get more of the musky honey and vanilla mixed with dark plum. This is my favorite part. It has great throw and wear length 

Edited by becca_s