Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Heavy as Honeyed Pulses Beat

Earthy, a bit smokey with a touch of honey. It smells like a really attractive and androgynous person in a leather jacket smoking cigarettes on a cold, fall night.  There isn't a whole lot to unpack here! Honey isn't really sweet, just there to bring out the other notes without making them too harsh. Can't stop sniffing this one. 

edit: honey softens the notes a bit over time and takes away some of the smoke

Edited by wolf_truffles

grassy vetiver with some char, the honey becomes more apparent as the scent warms up and melds with the skin. It's a dry, amber honey, kind of like it dried on some wood.

Soft earth and smoke over honey that begins even softer, but grows in strength as it warms. 

Before long, a charred vetiver creeps in, offering more smoke and a little grassiness. The tones of this are a swirl of smoke, char, wood, grass, earth, amber, dry-cracked leather, and the sweetness of darkish (but not buckwheat-dark) honey.

Although the blend is soft, I like it a lot. Smoke and honey is a combination I might always be hard-pressed to resist, and the other notes work wonderfully with them. Will need a bottle.

This started as an unusually floral honey, like sniffing a flower pistil - vegetal, green honey. I'm guessing that's the vetiver effect? But the green first turned bitter smoky and then got mustier with time, closer to a dirt note or a Dead Leaves kind of bitter & brown.

This was more bitter than I expected. I'm not a Dead Leaves fan. I think I'm a vetiver lover, but maybe it's the cocoa/vetiver combo richness that I love - this is the version I don't care for. I'm love/hate with honey, and the honey was lost here. If it had stayed where it started for me, I'd be into this. But that's clearly not what this was meant to be. I think Dead Leaves lovers would really enjoy this.

Smoky, heavy honey. This smelled like it had a whiff of leather underneath. This was a very heavy honeyed blend. Dark. Good throw and wear length.

This one threw me off when I first tested, and I was already wary of how the honey and vetiver were going to behave, so here's round two:

Wet in the bottle I am getting something strangely reminiscent of granny smith apples and peanut butter. After applying it to my skin that sharp granny smith green mellows into a grassy vetiver, and the sweetness is more obviously honey, but not a cloying sticky one. I'm not getting a ton of smoke, but the smoke + opoponax adds a dusky dark warmth to the scent that does seem to suggest a well-loved leather jacket. 

This is a surprise win for me - a delicious, sensual blend that will go into regular rotation.

Wet: Shadows on shadows on shadows!

Drydown: Dark, deep, smokey, almost-woody, just a hint of golden sweetness, and sort of hazy. There's an earthy murkiness to it that grows as it dries. Something about it smells unnatural. Tar-like even.

Dry: Sweeter, though still dark and definitely spooky. It's like a charming shadow-and-soot monster.

7.5 out of 10 bones

I almost like this. It's very interesting and compelling, and I'd probably wear it if I wanted to smell mysterious, but I don't know if it really smells good to me or on me. I take it what I'm smelling is the opoponax. Its a woody smell. I get a little vetiver during the wet stage, but dry it just smells like trimming hedges and a bit of sweetness. I'm admittedly very confused by this perfume. I'll have to try this again in a week.

Updated review: I bought a bottle! This is one of the 2021 Weenies that underwent a dramatic transformation in just a few short months of aging. At first, it was so sharp and burning that I could smell nothing else. I think now that that was the smoked honey, since honey can already be sharp and the smokiness of it was a burning, stinging kind of edge.

Given a few months, this has lost some of its initial harshness, although it still goes on with a big smoky blast of goopy sweetness, corrupted by a dark brooding vetiver. The vetiver is almost the peanut-buttery one, except it's been singed and rye-toasted, which smells a lot like my Haitian Vetiver decant, so I feel safe in saying this is a big Haitian Vetiver blend. I get the pseudo-rubber-tire-store smell of the opoponax too now. It's all a really thick, dark, almost menacing mood. Very dense, smoky, and mysterious.

I feel like Heavy as Honeyed Pulses Beat still has a ways to go in aging. I think it will be a lot like Endless Corridors, where the vetiver and dark smoked resins will continue to evolve each year and make it a different beast every time you open the bottle. That's the fun of the journey. You have no idea where you will end up. I'm here for the ride.

I would wear this while: embracing my inner darkness.

Original review, February 13 2021: Singe-y Weenie 2021 honey. It burns my nose. Ow.

Edited by starbrow

Did someone say 'opoponax main note'?! My money could not leave my wallet fast enough. I LOVE this. The vetiver is basically non-existent, I get woody, dark, resinous opoponax. Once fully dry the honey comes out and lifts it very slightly, giving a gorgeous sweet yet dark musk. Not much throw. Very comfortable, skin-close scent. I'll have to try this layered.