Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin pulp, blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

In bottle: Honey wine.  Not like Athens or Hetairae though.  It's its own honey wine.

Wet: SPICY honey wine!  The pumpkin is definitely there, though as the description says, it's actual pumpkin flesh rather than pumpkin spice.  There's a bit more...freshness is the best word I've got after a few more seconds on the wrists.  Definitely getting the carnation, maybe the tobacco flower and oakmoss is contributing to that as well.  A teensy bit of the sugar.  It's really blending together as it dries.  Once every few sniffs I get the grapes.  Looks like every ingredient's taking turns being the star for a few sniffs.  It's not particularly masculine, it leans more to the feminine side of unisex if you ask me, but for some reason it's what I would imagine a male version of Alcina Dimitrescu (Tall Vampire Lady from Resident Evil: Village) would smell like.

Will add further notes in an hour or so.

Dry: Spiced wine that sticks to the skin, the other notes coming up every once in a while to say hello.  I really love this perfume.  Instead of being an incoherent mess, all the many many notes in this are playing nicely together and taking turns to shine.  It is vampy, but a vampire that lives in a cozy lodge with lots of dark wood instead of a drafty castle.   The spicy wine is a bit like Blood Kiss, but much less in-your-face and with much more complexity (not to mention some nice pumpkin pulp and a good glob o' honey).  So glad I went for this.  Not sure how it compares with the original Horreur.  I heard that has a lot of plum to it and while it is sort of there, the pumpkin pulp stands out more.  So if you wished Horreur Sympathetique replaced its plum with pumpkin, here ya goes.

Edited by Area51Fugitive

As a lover of all things pumpkin and wine, I was looking forward to this fragrance!

It is very winey, even moreso than pumpkiny. It reminds me of a very thick, viscous dessert wine. There is a thickness to the sweetness in this fragrance. It contains a lot of plum, honeyed grapes, and wine. The pumpkin is definitely there, but to me it takes a background to the dessert wine. But it all makes sense to me as the image this conjures is eating a pumpkin pie with a viscous dessert wine. The aroma of the wine would naturally stand out against the aroma of the pumpkin.

Really though, this is excellent, complex, and a dark but sweet gourmand. It's a perfect winter scent and reminds me of exactly what I want to wear when I come in from a freezing day outside and want to warm up.

Ooh, this is nice! It is first and foremost a deep wine scent, decadent and dark and sweet. It's the kind of thick viscous dessert wine that clings to a glass and slides over taste buds and textures - sensual and lush and heated. My husband likes good port, and it's a lot like that!

I do get pumpkin, but it's swirled into everything else - this whole scent is so well blended that it's hard to pick out individual notes! It's not a mulled wine in the sense of being spice-forward, but it does have a little carnation-spice. Something about this also smells very "BPAL" to me - like the bag I used to store some older imps in, with the layered blending of BPAL notes - or maybe like Lady Una and Lady Macbeth had a pumpkin-kissed baby!

I hesitated about this, and threw it in at the last minute, and now I'm glad I did! It'll be a good winter scent for late nights cuddling by the fire, perhaps with a glass of port or a chocolate/fruit dessert. 🙂

Pumpkin, wine, and Horror Sympathique. This smells like a fancy wine party during Halloween. Medium throw and wear length.

Wet: Sweet purples and reds, gleaming honey, and smoke.

Drydown: There's so much going on. I get the plum and blood musk strongest, with honey and something ozonic flanking it. There's a line of creamy tonka and tobacco under that. Sometimes I pick up on a sparkle of champagne, but mostly it stays hidden. A little spiciness as it reaches the end of the drydown.

Dry: Wine, blood, plum, pumpkin spice, and dark, gnarly resins. Thick and enveloping. In two words? Vampire sex.

7 out of 10 bones

With a bit of aging, this is so much better than the GC it's based off of! I think I have always written Horror Citrouille off in my head because I keep expecting it to be like Horror Sympathique plus citrus. Of course, that is not the case! In reality, it is a carroty pumpkin juice kind of note added to a thickly dark plum wine, honeyed and spiced. Where the GC leans towards a fizzy champagne and sour wine place, the Weenie variation puts more emphasis on the plum and the darker elements. There is still a wine element there, but it smells more aged and mellow, with way less bite to it.

Surprisingly, I rather enjoy Horror Citrouille? I'm going to play around with wearing my decant of it more in the next few days and see if it warrants a full bottle before my next lab purchase. I'd recommend it as a spooky drink blend, heavy on the pumpkin and plum and spiced mead.

In the Decant: Wine

Wet: Spiced wine

Dry: Fig newton perfume. I mean, it's still very wine-smelling, but the end result is that I smell bready fruit, which is probably due to the pumpkin pulp. High moisture fruit cookie perfume. I'm a fan and ordered a bottle. I'd say medium throw and a minimum lifespan of ten hours.