Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Dead Leaves, Honeycomb, and Vanilla Butter

Bell pepper! I mean, dead leaves! Immediately bell pepper on my skin but that goes away quickly and smells like leaves after a minute or two. Almost no honey. Globs of vanilla butter but it's not a gourmand vanilla, just smells like skin. This is really interesting! Basically as if I rubbed dead leaves on myself? While wearing a creamy vanilla body lotion? I kinda like this..

I was really looking forward to this one because the notes sounded divine! Unfortunately, I would have to say that this almost reads as a dead leaves single note. Which, luckily for me I don't have any other FSes with the lab's dead leaves note so I am happy to have it around, because I do like it and see myself layering it with things. 

I was expecting a buttery, almost gourmand vanilla and dry leaves, but honestly I can't pick up any honey or vanilla. Or perhaps, like the above poster mentioned, it does kind of smell like a shea butter lotion from somewhere like Bath and Bodyworks underlying the scent. It's definitely a bit 'perfumey' for lack of a better word.

If you are expecting a gourmand, buttery scent, I think you'll probably be disappointed. Luckily I do like the perfumey, sweet dead leaves scent it is instead, though I still wish it'd been more like my expectations!

I have to agree with @lilyluxe. At first this is all dead leaves all the time. Very realistic. I keep looking for the vanilla and honeycomb to show up, but they don’t. Then at the end of the day, I get a very faint but distinct syrupy pineapple, which is very pleasant with the dead leaves. I definitely enjoyed this (I love the dead leaves note), but I hope the sweetness and butteriness come forward more with aging.

Edited by hhelix
punctuation

DL, Honeycomb, & Vanilla Butter is yuuuummy on my skin! I get the blast of dead leaves up front, and the sweet waxiness of the honeycomb. The DL quickly fade into a light powdery version of themselves, a touch of the dry crackle, typical for that note on my skin. Then, the vanilla butter amps and entwines into the honeycomb. And it is buttery, yet not overwhelmingly so.
I feel like it’s a cousin to Snake’s Kiss for me. The throw is low/medium yet lasts really well. I hope it will increase in throw…. I only got the decants in the mail a couple days ago. 

I’m really tempted to bottle this baby! 

Edited by artisjok

This Dead Leaves opens with a burst of dry bell pepper cologne, the standard dead leaves thing. Happily, it doesn't stay there.

The dead leaves linger on, but not alone; they're joined by a mild vanilla butter and a low-key, chewy comb note.

This is a doable butter. It's not the White Larry movie butter or the face-socking buttah of a few of the baked goods perfumes.

I'm not sure this is grabbing me enough for a bottle, but I'll enjoy the decant.

I got lots of dead leaves in the opening, but they were entirely supplanted by one of the sweeter honeys that I have a hard time wearing.  Or maybe it was the honey and cream combination -- I agree with artisjok that this is reminiscent of Snake's Kiss (when I tested it, I was thinking WHAT is the scent it's making me think of?, and that was it exactly).  Snake's Kiss did not end up working on me, and neither does this DL, as the honey/vanilla/dairy combo veers into cloying territory on my skin, and there are not enough dead leaves to pull it back.  On the plus side, it has good throw and wear length. 

Honeyed vanilla and dead leaves. This one is a sweeter version of Dead Leaves, which brings out the green underneath the sweetness of the honey and vanilla. Medium throw and wear length.

Straight from bottle, all I smell is a realistic scent memory of jumping into a pile of fallen leaves. Wet on skin, the dead leaves settles and the comforting vanilla (certainly sweetened by the honey) comes out to dance within the pile of leaves. As it dries, it becomes a grounded vanilla that isn't verbose. It is skin-close. Just gorgeous. I've only had it for 3 weeks or so, thus I will have to update how it ages further on down the line.

Dead leaves scents are always a gamble for me - there's one Dead Leaves note that the lab uses that smells really terrible on me - like cheap cologne - but there's another note they use that is absolute perfection on me, so I risk it. Luckily this is the dead leaves note that smells like real crunchy dead leaves on me. The honey is perfumey and slightly floral in this (like a floral honey, not a separate floral note). The vanilla is soft, and I don't actually get any "butter" from it. All in all, another dead leaves success. Smells like fall in a bottle. 

This is one of the DL blends that works well for me. I didn't jump on it right away, but I'm glad I was able to find some.

A year of mellowing has probably worked some magic here, since I don't get knocked over with a mountain of leaves right away, but the honeyed vanilla butter is immediately, richly present. Everything settles in cozily together, and I agree with artisjok that this and Snake's Kiss share a similar vibe. The leaves add an almost nutty, apple-y quality to the honey sweetened vanilla, which is the star of the show.

That sharp/sweet BPAL dead leaves note hits me first. It IS like bell pepper cologne as Casablanca noted, that’s the perfect description! As for “vanilla butter” I’m not getting like, dairy butter. More like cocoa butter. So dead leaves mixed with a honey-vanilla cocoa butter-based lotion. The dead leaves are really tempered by the honeyed creaminess and it’s really nice after a couple minutes. The sweetness of the leaves is accented,  rather than their bitterness.