Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost

This is AMAZING!!!!!  I don't know what else to say.  I've been collecting BPAL for 12 years now, and this one has just catapulted to one of my all-time favorites.  Caveat:  I haven't let the bottle rest, and I've only just tried it on.  It's got an almost creamy, almost coconut-ey, almost marshmallow vibe to it.  The weeds are soft and sweet.  The cognac adds warmth and depth but not a lot of booze. The balsam is not pine-ey;  it's more resiny and grounding.  The vanilla is glorious.   

It reminds me a bit of Ivory Vulva, or Boo, or possibly even Glowing Vulva (although it has been many years since I wore that scent).  

SWOOOOON. When I sniffed all of my Weenie decants when they arrived earlier this week, I knew this one was going to be a bottle contender, and even though I still have many Weenies to test, I think it will be hard for the others to dethrone this one as my favorite.

It is all, gorgeous, warm, floofy, cognac and balsam-infused vanilla, and it is GLORIOUS. I agree withwendyb1063 about the balsam in this being a resinous, non-piney variety. The cognac in this isn't super sharp (well, it started out that way on my brother, but it was smooth from the beginning on me), and it kind of combines with the vanilla in a way that reminds me of the cognac and vanilla combo in some of the Lace scents. I was glued to my wrist the whole time I was wearing this last night and will definitely be needing a bottle or two in my collection. :dance: 

Lovely blend in the vein of Pediophobia and Antique Lace.

I immediately threw this in my cart upon first test. But I decided to compare it with Pediophobia on my arm, wondering if it's enough difference to justify getting a third blend of a cognac-vanilla perfume that I quite like and yet, somehow, don't often reach for...

Compared with Pedio, this Sheet Ghost offers a more rustic take on the antique cognac-vanilla theme. The balsam and tumbleweeds bring a little vintage frontier vibe, replacing the cracked porcelain doll of Pediophobia. But there's a similar mood, and fans of Pediophobia or the Laces may enjoy this ghost.

I opted not to get a decant of this one, initially, because balsam often takes over on me. But I'm trying a friend's decant -- and the note is actually behaving nicely.

Given my new tighter budget, I don't think I can swing a bottle of this, but it has reminded me that I do love Pedio and Antique Lace and should wear them more often.

I am hit and miss with vanilla, but was inspired by the 15 mins review to take the leap. Ultimately not for me, but I thought I would share my notes:

This is really lovely in the bottle. The cognac is present but not boozy, and there's a nice balance of sweetness and depth.

Once applied, the cognac goes all the way to the back and vanilla remains at the forefront for me. It has a crackling, dry quality - an almost toasty vanilla, which is an impressive interpretation of the label image. 

Basically: Like Ü and Cedarwood & Smoked Vanilla had a cognac-soaked one-night stand. Starts out with something cedary (which I guess is how the tumbleweed note is reading to my nose) and a blast of cognac booziness in the decant, but then the booze settles and I get a non-gourmand vanilla, non-piney balsam, cedar, and a whiff of cognac in the background. Sticks close to the skin, but has great staying power. Definitely going to be a bottle purchase for me.

I feel...sophisticated?  Like Tombstone but maybe I'm a cattle baron or some newly minted silver magnate with expensive tastes and I'm flexing on people? Is that what's going on here?

Wet: Non-sugary vanilla and cognac. 

Semi-dry: Cognac and balsam.  It's like a sexy humidor without tobacco or what I imagine the alcohol aging barrels smell like dry and empty. 

Dry:

L wrist: Cognac with the brown booze tang and wood.

R wrist: I know my wrists usually smell different.   I don't know where the smoke note is coming from.

Linen? in the bottle? with a dash of wood?

Goes on as a swoony, rich sort of linen — I guess that’s the white cognac. The balsam joins in shortly, and the vanilla underlines the cognac. There’s a smoky, slightly woody undertone as well. The linen, vanilla, and cognac all blend, smelling both heady and light.

After like 10 minutes it’s too heady. The linen is turning musky. I’m actually getting a bit dizzy and I have to wash this off.

I think I would love this on a guy. It’s a brilliant blend, but I know my skin chemistry is not doing it justice. I would concur on the relationship to Pediophobia and Antique Lace.

Just received my decants yesterday, and this was the first one I tried this morning.

In the imp: Warm and resinous, like sniffing a good bourbon (cognac/scotch/pick your poison) and the wafting ethers hit your nose with a warm and glorious veil.

Wet: The vanilla comes through cutting a bit of the cognac, but not displacing it. These two notes dance together, entertwined, creating a scent more complex than it's parts.

Dry: I can smell a woodiness coming through, which acts as a grounding note to the aforementioned gourmand vanilla scented lusciousness.

Honestly, this is one is swoon worthy. I am reluctant to test my other decants, just so I can order a bottle of this ASAP.

The floaty, non-gourmand vanilla and cognac in this reminds me a lot of Flickering Lights, Fluttering Curtains, which is one of my favorites. It's backed by some dry, woody notes and a hint of smokiness, though in a smoked vanilla or tobacco leaf way rather than a woodsmoke or incense way. Really lovely, with a simple elegance; I definitely recommend that fans of Flickering Lights and Zorya P check it out if they want more scents in that vein.

This is a total hit for me. It’s a vanilla perfume with an edge. A marshmallowy floating scent with tall tendrils of balsam pulling it back down. It has a very woodsy and mature quality to it.

Truly a unique and sweet fragrance.

In the decant: Vanilla and cognac. 

On my skin:

Wet, the vanilla disappears, and it's balsam and tumbleweed. As it dries, the cognac comes back, and the vanilla may be present just enough to smooth out some of the other notes, but it's not distinguishable on its own. 

Given time to develop, though, the vanilla does come back enough to be detectable, and it rounds out the balsam and cognac and tumbleweeds. 

I like this, but it's very soft and skin close on me. I also like to be able to smell myself wearing perfume, and I can't with this one. 

Wet: Soft, dark vanilla. A quiet vanilla.

Drydown: A cloudy, pillowy, whisper-light vanilla over a deeper, slightly-spicy, woodier note. Not at all foodie, it's more of an atmospheric scent. ...I know I just said it's not foodie, but as it dries and deepens, it actually reminds me a lot of circus peanuts.

Dry: What I'm affectionately dubbing "circus peanut musk" over planks of vanilla-stained balsam. Dry, sweet, creamy, airy, woody. Deliriously cozy, like getting lost in a cuddle.

8 out of 10 bones

Okay, I took a chance on two blind bottles of this because I had such high hopes and this Ghost delivers! I knew I had to try it after the combination of cognac and vanilla reminded me of the Laces, and I definitely think if you're a fan of those that this would be a great addition.

In the bottle, this just smells warm, comforting, and slightly spicy. The vanilla is the sweetest here, and it's still not an overly gourmand vanilla. There's a dryness that persists onto the skin, that's what I'm reading the tumbleweeds as. The balsam is sooo good, it's definitely not piney but works in tandem with the cognac and vanilla.

I've sniffed this alongside my cherished bottle of Antique Lace; I'd say these two are related, but where Antique Lace reads as "cool" vanilla linen, Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost is all warmth and rugged around the edges but still comforting.

This is a lovely little all-purpose vanilla! It must be the cognac note that gave off anise vibes to start (which i love). Sweet licorice that didn't smell boozy, per se, but more like a cocktail. The vanilla here is that almost fruity sweet vanilla. It reminds me of They Shut Me Up in Prose (also love), but even sweeter. I wear that one to bed a lot, because it's simple and sweet and tranquil, but it's a little vanilla (HA) for sharing. This has a little more zest, and I would wear it out more when I want to be pleasant & charming. 

Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost is my favorite Weenie so far.  It's a soft, pillowy, lace-family vanilla cognac against an outdoorsy balsam and tumbleweed combo that is just full of win for me.  Kind of like Tombstone without the root beer.  Serious comfort scent, cozy, rugged.  But ridiculously lovely.  The wear length is only average on me, but this is worth reapplying. 

Cognac fades into a very clean cloth, with a slight green floral. I mean, the cognac lingers like a ghost, but it goes from a glass full of cognac, to an empty glass of cognac, where you can still smell it but its gone. Medium throw and wear length.

A not-too-foodie vanilla, grounded by woodiness and sexed up with a splash of sweet booze.  

I agree with comparisons to Ü (must be the balsam), Flickering Lights, Fluttering curtains (ghostly vanilla), and 100% with the Laces. This is in the vein of Antique Lace, but there is an element that makes it more heated, as though you actually had a few sips of cognac and can feel the warmth entering your body.

I am in love! this is a total winner for me from this year's Weenies. I bet this will become a classic.

First off -- I love this.  Second -- am I the only person who smells bananas?? O_O 

I swear, every time I sniff this I get creamy, marshmallowy banana candy, backed by soft balsam.  It's delicious and utterly weird and, yeah, very much like banana scented Antique Lace... except no one else has mentioned it, so I must be...

bananas. :D 

Everyone seems to smell something different in this. I, too, LOVE it and am wondering how many bottles I need so that I never run out for the rest of my life. At first I caught a whiff of cedary balsam, but the main player the whole time on me was a Snake Oil-esque vanilla, a naked Snake Oil stripped of its spices and patchouli. Like Snake Oil at an outdoor spa, who then wraps up in a cashmere robe and sips cognac. The scent kept getting stronger and more complex throughout the day. Could this be my holy grail?

Oh, this is so nice! I wavered over this one because it has so many notes I've never tried, but the reviews sounded lovely, so I threw it in!

On me, it's a big poofy warm vanilla - a golden sort of vanilla, like being outside in rugged hills and glowing sun. It's very well blended, or maybe I just don't know enough of the other notes to pick them out!

I really like this; it's like a warm comforting hug, a big cozy billow of vanilla, settling in. Low throw, but I also didn't put much on because I'm testing a few things. I want to keep sniffing my arm, though!

I absolutely adored this scent when I first got it, but 3 months later, there's something about it that's throwing me. While wet, there's a distinct "buttery" phase to my nose that I can't pin down. It fades once this is dry on my skin, but it still has moments that remind me of it.

The end result is a warm, sort of dusty and dry vanilla and cognac blend. I like it, but it felt a bit more ethereal when I first got it (and I got a bit more cognac), and I find myself wishing for that impression to return. 

The notes cannot fully encapsulate the magic of Cognac Stained Sheet Ghost. For instance, balsam tends to be a very scratchy note, cognac can go beautiful lace or cologney nightmare, and tumbleweeds are a huge ???  So how do they all come together?

Clearly, magic. Vanilla-scented sheets mingle with an antique wooden wardrobe. Lacy cognac is dappling the air with strains of an old-fashioned victrola, sweetly esoteric and ghostly. You can almost hear the crackle of the needle on vinyl, the tension of a lovely waltz against a fuzzy, popping recording, in the pleasant scratch of the cognac. Meanwhile, the unpleasant scratch of perfumey balsam is nowhere to be found! I would compare the woods to somewhere between peru balsam (sweet, vanillic) and Himalayan cedarwood (mellow, woodsy, lightly spiced).

As it sits on my skin, the throw of it continues to swell. It's almost an amp, but in a pleasant way. Many times amplification in perfume is the notes that we find UNpleasant when strong, so it's nice to find one that becomes pleasantly strong! I am very very happy that I can smell this one so intensely on me. It also gets the thumbs up from the other half ;).

I think this is hands down the best of the 2021 Weenies and will be a cult favorite for years to come. Backup bottle worthy, especially if you enjoy the BPAL laces.

Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost is so so close to magical for me, and it bums me out so much it falls just a little short! I love this, it's a thick beam of sunlight heating old lace in a lonesome room furnished in nothing but antique cedar furniture. The balsam is almost undetectable, but adds a beautiful sun-warmed cedar chest vibe to this scent, something that really makes this sheet ghost stand out.  I would love this to pieces if the throw wasn't little better than a whisper.   As it stands, this scent is ghostly, lonesome, and full of the idea of sunlight.  It's the smell of idealized sunbeams. Dust and disuse but not in a bad way, in a 'this room's occupant only visits in silence, out of the corner of your eye', kinda way, lol. Again, poignantly lonesome, for some reason.

If I could smell this all day, even a little more, I'd be shouting abt this one from the rooftops.  As it stands, I'll stash it away for a few months to see if time gives it the throw I was hoping for. Maybe this is meant to be a sleep scent for me.

This blend is not overhyped. The hype is absolutely deserved. I blind-double-bottled this and I am absolutely coming back for another serving to give as courting gifts to my hypothetical future soulmate. So smooth that no one note stands over the others. Got a faintly Old West vibe, like Al Swearingen would be sporting it during an episode of Deadwood. This perfume is a SOUND. I love it.