Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Autumn Song 2021

Its dreams like the fluttering leaves have gone: oak dust, violet leaf, orris root, white benzoin, vetiver, and dry ambrette seed.

This is a soft, golden scent, beautiful for fall.  When I first got it I thought it smelled like baby powder (which isn't necessarily a bad thing to me), and I thought it might need to rest for a little while.  It's still borderline powdery but there is a hint of metallic gold about it also.  I can't tell any of these notes apart and not one note stands out strongly.

It does change a little after it's on the skin for a while, but I still couldn't tell you which notes I'm smelling.  Maybe the vetiver comes out a little more.  It's almost like Death of Autumn's ghost, just soft, soft, soft.

The dead leaves note in BPAL does not seem to be my thing (yet?), but, I love it in real life. So, I've been looking for something with leaves in it to enjoy...and this seems to be it! I don't know enough about the notes individually to say which stick out for me, but, I can say it has a bright and clean (not soap, not linen) smell hiding in all that fresh and dried leafy/earthy softness. To my inexperienced nose, it smells like there is a touch of something like Glasgow hiding behind the softness. This is a great scent for all. 

On my skin, this is a "clean natural body" type smell. Like you took a shower but you smell like yourself rather than soap, lotion, or perfume.  Nothing stood out in particular.  It was overall very pleasant and will probably enhance whatever you actually smell like.

Sweet dry violet forward. Slightly joyful, so "Song" is very appropriate. It does have the typical sort of gooey orris, but it melds well. Oak is jumping out a bit it's just a lovely song.

If you loved Instinct of Hope, but want something slightly more sweet, this is the one!

I'm finally getting around to testing this one. I had a feeling I would love it so I've been giving my little decant a nice long rest. Oh. Does anyone remember Under the Harvest Moon? Yeah. This shares the same vibe and is also similar scent wise. I love it. Very light but definitely worth wearing.

Going in was totally noseblind: it literally smelled like (said in the best Nathan Explosion voice I can do) "notttttthiiiiiiiiiinnggggg".

On the skin though, holy moly, this is gorgeous sweet, vanillic benzoin with the better parts of orris/violet that don't go play-doh. I repeat, NO PLAY-DOH! There's a soft powder vibe that cannot be escaped from orris, I reckon, and I could see where some would get baby powder from this, but the vanillic benzoin and ambrette keep it from going that way too much in my opinion. It's more sweet, soft, ghostly, and perfectly wearable. I feel like a cuddly ghost.

The vetiver behaves, no manly peanuts, oak dust is there if I look for it, it's more of a soft woods background but neither dominate.

It's purple hued and spooky. It reminds me of the way Lullaby feels, like a blurry, violet hued ghost in a King Diamond video. Actually yeah,  the album cover for "Them", that is exactly the atmosphere for Autumn Song:

1068.jpg

The closest Lab blend would be Asses Plus Long Qu'un Siecle Platonique with ghost violets replacing rose.

Another I almost skipped. Well done, Lab! Full bottle for sure. :heart::ghost:

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This is a new favorite for sure and I hope it makes a return for this year's Halloween scents. It's a soft, dusty, sweet scent. It makes me think of leaves fluttering by, sunshine on a cold day, and a whiff of pumpkin.

I seem to be drawn to the lighter side of the Weenies 2021 offerings, which is very unusual for me but that was how the chips fell this particular year. Autumn Song falls well within the lighter side, which is not to say the blend is low-throw, but rather a lightness of spirit equivalent to Signum Crucis. If that one is the rose sister, this is the violet sister. She's elegant, clean, and sweetly spooky.

The vetiver is a woolly grey perfumey vetiver, akin to Heavy as Honeyed Pulses Beat but more delicately blended, surrounded by the powdery waft of violet and orris. The oak to me reads almost cedar shavings, because I get a fresh pet-store mood from some aspect of Autumn Song. However, this does not dominate the blend, and there is a nice suggestion of crispy leaves that is not the stompy Dead Leaves note. I like the soft smokiness of the ambrette seed, and I hope it and the vetiver develop more over the years.

I think this baby needs one more year of aging to be everything she could be. Somehow, she makes me feel things like Every Day is Halloween does, but in a more feminine and 'pretty Victorian ghost' kind of way. I was very surprised that even now she works for me, because I am not a fan of oak, violet, or orris, yet all three are tamed and ghostly here. This is appealing and should grow even more so over time.

I would wear this while: telling ghost stories by a bonfire on a brisk October night.